Displaying our current/former military service on the CAP-distinctive uniform

Started by AlphaSigOU, April 23, 2006, 04:32:53 PM

AlphaSigOU

Many of us here and on other boards are currently serving or have served in our Armed Forces. Since the Air Force (or is it CAP that issued that edict?) will not let us wear military ribbons and/or badges on the CAP corporate uniform, there should be a way to recognize our current or former military service by allowing us to wear a special ribbon or medal to honor our service. (Hey, more 'blingage'! :D) I'd let people who meet CAP weight/grooming who choose to wear the blues to have a choice of either wearing their military ribbons or wear the commemoratives. These commemoratives would be placed in order of precedence before any CAP ribbons and medals, just like the RealMilitary ® ribbons.

The commemorative medals made by Medals of America would probably fit the bill. Below is a pic of their Air Force Service commemorative medal:

(L-R: full size bronze with ribbon, miniature bronze, full size and mini anodized, hat pin 'medal')

They have commemoratives made for all services and most major campaigns or service (sea and overseas). I'd figger if the CAP NB goes with this idea (if they don't toss it with a 'NIH' (Not Invented Here) shrug, they'd probably wanna get Vanguard to make the ribbons and medals anyway.

Your thoughts, comments, gripes, etc.?
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

arajca

Interesting idea. Several SDF's have done that. The only real problem is setting a specific design for use. For example, there are three different Cold War Commemorative medals available. CAP would also need to set a list of the ones that are available AND the criteria for wearing them, and the relative precedence (does the Honorable Discharge Commemorative come before or after the Korea Commemorative?) Some commemorative medals are 'authorized' for anyone who wants to honor a specific branch.

I am not adverse to using recognition programs developed by others in CAP, if they are applicable and consistant with CAP's missions.

MAJORZ04

Sirs;
CAP distinctive uniforms are .... just that... CAP distinctive... Wear only
CAP awards and thats it...Would a boy scout leader wear his Vietnam
Service ribbon on his boy scout uniform ???
I'm proud of the (few) awards I have earned thru CAP and will
wear them on the CAP distinctive uniform.
CAPR 39-1 does allow certain military awards to be worn on the
AF uniforms, if weight/grooming standards are adhered to. 
We seem to be "over the cliff" on these uniform issues.... Follow 39-1
and give that same effort on gaining proficiency in all our qualifications
and mission readiness...
MajorZ

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: MAJORZ04 on April 24, 2006, 02:25:55 PM
Sirs;
CAP distinctive uniforms are .... just that... CAP distinctive... Wear only
CAP awards and thats it...Would a boy scout leader wear his Vietnam
Service ribbon on his boy scout uniform ???
I'm proud of the (few) awards I have earned thru CAP and will
wear them on the CAP distinctive uniform.
CAPR 39-1 does allow certain military awards to be worn on the
AF uniforms, if weight/grooming standards are adhered to. 
We seem to be "over the cliff" on these uniform issues.... Follow 39-1
and give that same effort on gaining proficiency in all our qualifications
and mission readiness...

MajorZ

I am also proud to wear my CAP ribbons on my CAP-distinctive uniform, and my military and CAP ribbons with my AF-style CAP uniform.  What I'm suggesting is a CAP-distinctive ribbon or medal denoting current or former military service, not asking that we wear military ribbons and devices on CAP distinctives.

BTW I'm already MQ as a scanner and MRO, working on observer. and a few other ES quals.  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Monty

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on April 23, 2006, 04:32:53 PM
Many of us here and on other boards are currently serving or have served in our Armed Forces. Since the Air Force (or is it CAP that issued that edict?) will not let us wear military ribbons and/or badges on the CAP corporate uniform, there should be a way to recognize our current or former military service by allowing us to wear a special ribbon or medal to honor our service. (Hey, more 'blingage'! :D) I'd let people who meet CAP weight/grooming who choose to wear the blues to have a choice of either wearing their military ribbons or wear the commemoratives. These commemoratives would be placed in order of precedence before any CAP ribbons and medals, just like the RealMilitary ® ribbons.

The commemorative medals made by Medals of America would probably fit the bill. Below is a pic of their Air Force Service commemorative medal:

They have commemoratives made for all services and most major campaigns or service (sea and overseas). I'd figger if the CAP NB goes with this idea (if they don't toss it with a 'NIH' (Not Invented Here) shrug, they'd probably wanna get Vanguard to make the ribbons and medals anyway.

Your thoughts, comments, gripes, etc.?

Well, I've mulled over this for a spell...

While I support the notion of "to each one's own" (with respect to medals, ribbons, doo-hickies, etc.) I really don't think it serves much purpose to introduce commemorative anything(s) to the uniform.

If somebody really wants to wear what is currently authorized on the aviator combos, then more power to 'em...it's regulated and while I think it looks icky, that's a personal opinion; not a professional one.

I suppose it is worth noting that while we ARE our own "CAP culture" when compared to Big Brother Blue and the fact that aviator combos are kissin'-cousins to AF-style service uniforms, one should know that with obvious exceptions, officer types tend to shy away from ribbons on service uniforms.  Badges and wings: groovy.  Ribbons...."meh, save 'em for the service dress."  Matter of fact, such was true when I was in AFROTC...while the new cadets were hell-bent on getting those ribbons for their duds, we prior-enlisted folks were looking for any chance to press on to other matters.  UNDERSTAND that this was slightly reversed (the ribbons on shirt practice) when I was an enlisted troop...especially in the AETC world.  Though you'll find plenty of airmen and NCOs that forego ribbons on the blue shirt, you will find more that do wear 'em on the blue shirt than do officers.

$1.00 to the first person that can find a picture of the AF's current Chief of Staff in the service uniform with ribbons.

If we are to be like Big Brother Blue, then one has to acknowledge the trend between what AF officers are doing (which is who we are modeled after) and what they aren't.

My thoughts...with ALL DUE RESPECT to our "everyday heroes" in CAP...make up a fantastic shadow box and put all the goodies inside it.  Save the ribbons for the Service Dress Uniform and arguably more importantly, the "up 'n comin's" that need a back scratch a bit more than we who are gettin' a bit longer in the tooth!  :)

Best,
-Monty

MICHAEL S. MONTGOMERY, JR., Major, CAP
Commander, PCR-CA-334

arajca

Quote from: msmjr2003 on April 24, 2006, 09:32:06 PM
My thoughts...with ALL DUE RESPECT to our "everyday heroes" in CAP...make up a fantastic shadow box and put all the goodies inside it.  Save the ribbons for the Service Dress Uniform and arguably more importantly, the "up 'n comin's" that need a back scratch a bit more than we who are gettin' a bit longer in the tooth!  :)

Best,
-Monty

Commander, PCR-CA-334

That works for those who do/can wear the service dress. You're forgetting about all those who - for whatever reason - wear the aviator shirt uniform. Or don't have the finances to get the service dress.

Monty

Quote from: arajca on April 24, 2006, 09:43:59 PM
Quote from: msmjr2003 on April 24, 2006, 09:32:06 PM

Best,
-Monty

Commander, PCR-CA-334

That works for those who do/can wear the service dress. You're forgetting about all those who - for whatever reason - wear the aviator shirt uniform. Or don't have the finances to get the service dress.

Glass half empty or half full?  If it's the latter, then I think the shadow box idea would work just dandy for anybody.  As for the awards and decs...well, in all honesty...the service dress uniform is worn so seldom that I think it really is almost (though I concede ALMOST) a non-issue.

If one REALLY wants to get deep off this matter, what do the educated minds have to say?  As a guy who has spent all his college days pursuing Psychology, might we pause to consider some aspects of awards and decs?  If their purpose is to reward effort, then it hardly matters where they are - the effort is rewarded whether the award is on the shelf or on the self.  However, if one's intent is to show the award to others...well, is that the intent of an award?

What would Abraham Maslow say?  Is one attempting to earn their esteem needs in order to feel respected by showing that ribbon or badge off?  Are one's awards and decorations the only path towards self-actualization?  That's the scholarly question worth discussion within another thread...  (If you want my professional Psychology opinion, then this is the wrong place to get it...this is a CAP board, not private practice.)  :)

I'll grant that A's&D's are mandatory upon the service dress...and with hardly an option for those who can't/won't wear the service dress uniform, your point is certainly valid.  However, I'd submit that the real point of awards and decs is for one's own individual pride...not the pride that comes from displaying a thing on a shirt or jacket for all to see.

In all actuality, it is a privilege to wear any uniform...CAP didn't have to create distinctive uniforms to accommodate those who won't/can't wear them...so using a positive mindset instead of a non-positive one, let's always be happy that we can accommodate everybody with a suit first instead of lamenting that there isn't a service jacket for white and grays upon which to wear ribbons (at least that is my opinion...I'm always hoping for a positive outlook on things.)

Just as nobody here knows my record in CAP, I honor everybody regardless of what they've done.  Mercy, I'm just as content to be called "hey, Monty" and interact freely without having to state my record or flash what I have.  Such was actually one of the fundamental mindsets that distinguished early America from the Crown in our nation's early days (one reason why we don't have a "Shays' Rebellion Campaign Medal.")

Coming full circle...

Folks are totally within their choice to wear ribbons on aviator combos.  As stated earlier...to each one's own.  Whatever is one's motivation is good for that person...and we must trust that it is good for the organization as well.  :)

Best,
-Monty

Commander, PCR-CA-334