Main Menu

BDUs at school

Started by Daniel, February 21, 2009, 03:26:49 AM

Daniel

Yesterday was our cap meeting (second ive been too)
and I thought since it was BDU night Id wear mine to school

While the kids were bamboozaled at what the civil air partol was
It allowed me to educate them and my unit commander was rather excited when he heard i did it.

ever done something like that?

C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

RiverAux

Uh, you should have gotten your commander's permission to do that.  Individual members don't get to decide when to wear their uniform to a non-CAP activity such as school. 

That being said, I'm in favor of CAP cadets wearing uniforms to school as part of an organized recruiting drive, but not on a regular basis. 

Daniel

we're low on members right now..

he invited us to do it
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

winterg

When I was a cadet (stone age) we routinely wore our uniforms to school on the day of the meeting and the earth didn't stop rotating.

It's a valuable recruiting tool.  I also agree with River that it needs the sanctioning of your CC.

Hawk200

Gee, where to start....

Quote from: Daniel L on February 21, 2009, 03:26:49 AM
Yesterday was our cap meeting (second ive been too)

So you're brand new, and have barely earned a uniform. Have you even filled out an application?

Quote from: Daniel L on February 21, 2009, 03:26:49 AM
and I thought since it was BDU night Id wear mine to school

For a meeting at what 6 or 7 PM, you put on a uniform at about 6 or 7 AM? There are rules on uniform wear that you really should learn before deciding to do your own thing.

One, BDU's aren't the appropriate uniform for public wear.

Two, there are specified times you wear a uniform.

Quote from: Daniel L on February 21, 2009, 03:26:49 AMWhile the kids were bamboozaled at what the civil air partol was
It allowed me to educate them

So you basically made yourself the center of attention.

Quote from: Daniel L on February 21, 2009, 03:26:49 AMand my unit commander was rather excited when he heard i did it.

I'd get pretty "excited" too. What you did was inappropriate.

Quote from: Daniel L on February 21, 2009, 03:26:49 AMever done something like that?

Nope.

RiverAux

Quote from: Daniel L on February 21, 2009, 03:37:55 AM
we're low on members right now..

he invited us to do it
Your original post made it sound like you did this on your own.  If your commander asked you ahead of time to do it, then I retract my comments. 

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on February 21, 2009, 04:07:19 AMYour original post made it sound like you did this on your own.  If your commander asked you ahead of time to do it, then I retract my comments. 

I agree, River, his original post did sound like he did it on his own.

I also have a hard time believing that a commander asked a person on his first meeting to wear a uniform to school. The first post said that he wore his uniform to school before the second meeting he has ever been to.

This is looking an awful lot like a "loot at me" action, rather than an active recruiting event.

Daniel

that is my first meeting as a member, i was in it for 5 weeks last year but i had leg surgery. So I couldnt join mmy commander was quite pleased to see me two weeks ago as i helped try to get the squad started
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Always Ready

I've never worn my CAP uniform to school, but I did have to wear the UOD (Uniform of the Day, for you civilian types) almost every day at college. Besides the fact I hated wearing Blues when it was 20-something degrees outside, wearing a uniform around campus was a great recruiting tool. However, the Blues were only good for one thing...attracting girls attention ;D (not that I complained). BDUs and PTUs (Physical Training Uniforms) were great for recruiting purposes. People would constantly come up to me asking about AFROTC, or ROTC in general, and it ends up bringing quite a few people in. I don't know why people didn't ask any questions when I was in Blues *shrugs*

That being said, I am all for Cadets, especially the more experienced ones, wearing uniforms to school once a week.

LtCol057

I just hope that your uniform was strac, all patches in place, ironed, boots polished, etc.

In this area, most school systems are going to "uniform" dress code, so a CAP uniform may not meet their dress codes without prior approval. 

If I found out one of my new cadets wore a uniform, especially BDUs, to a non-CAP activity without prior approval from myself or my DCC and the school administration, I'd probably be having a serious heart-to- heart with him at the next meeting.

From your initial post, it reads like you took it upon yourself to wear BDUs to school.

Maj Ballard

Cadet, a little over a week ago, you were on here asking whether a C/AB can wear nametapes. You said you "didn't know what the books say" (regulations/manuals) and that your commander was going to order your nametapes as soon as you were "in the database."

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=7236.0

I'm finding it a little hard to believe that in a week's time, you had a complete and squared away uniform (pressed, everything in the correct place), especially one fit for public recruiting purposes.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

SM-MADDOG

The cadet did say that the commander said they could do it correct? If so then end of the discussion, the Commander is the boss of his/her squadron, not any of us. Dont jump on the cadet if you dont like this, call his or her commander.

Also please dont assume things, this cadet could have other experience besides CAP. When I came into Marine JROTC in high school I already knew some drill and marching, i was a police explorer. Just because someone is new to CAP dont mean they dont know anything.

It just strikes me a question of why some jump on someone else soon as they say something, dang dont we have a first amendment in this country any more lol? Oh wait, Obama is trying down play the first amendment so who knows lol.

Quote from: Captain B on February 21, 2009, 03:16:50 PM
Cadet, a little over a week ago, you were on here asking whether a C/AB can wear nametapes. You said you "didn't know what the books say" (regulations/manuals) and that your commander was going to order your nametapes as soon as you were "in the database."

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=7236.0

I'm finding it a little hard to believe that in a week's time, you had a complete and squared away uniform (pressed, everything in the correct place), especially one fit for public recruiting purposes.
2nd Lt, CAP

Major Carrales

Alright eveyone, stand down.

Just for your information, our Brahma Cadet Flight that meets at Memorial Middle School in Kingsville, Texas regularly wears their uniform to school.  Tuesday is blues and Thursday is BDUs.  They sometimes post the colors in the mornings and are visible.

We have after school meetings right afterschool as well as during "Lunch" and will again during the Advisory/Activity Period when Standardized Testing ends.

We have maintained a good relationship with the campus and the world did not end.  In fact, many times the opposite has occured.  The cadets have distinguished themselves as leaders and feel very connected through CAP.  

I d not believe in unauthorized disorganized uniform wear, but there are occasions where and when (spacetime?) it is appropriate.  

Also, just because a cadet is new doesn't mean they are some sort of "imbecile."  

This sort of thing is why I no longer recommend my members (cadet and senior)visit CAPTALK or CADETSTUFF.   There is no gentle guiding hand here from many of us, only the abrupt "slap in the face."  I have had several new people PM me about such feelings.

They came here for answers and, instead, got their zeal to serve tarnished.  People please, if you have such comments to make do it in PM.  The One-ups-manship is distasteful and very unbecoming.  
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RogueLeader

Quote from: SM-MADDOG on February 21, 2009, 04:55:53 PM
The cadet did say that the commander said they could do it correct? If so then end of the discussion, the Commander is the boss of his/her squadron, not any of us. Dont jump on the cadet if you dont like this, call his or her commander.

Also please dont assume things, this cadet could have other experience besides CAP. When I came into Marine JROTC in high school I already knew some drill and marching, i was a police explorer. Just because someone is new to CAP dont mean they dont know anything.

Thank you, you beat me to it.

Same with you Major.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: CAPP-151g. If you wear your uniform to civilian social functions, you must wear the service dress uniform, or mess dress uniform, or uniform that parallels the civilian dress for the occasion, that is, coat and tie. You may not wear fatigues or flight suits to civilian functions.
Emphasis mine

winterg

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 21, 2009, 04:59:19 PM
There is no gentle guiding hand here from many of us, only the abrupt "slap in the face."

Amen

Stonewall

This is why I don't allow new cadets to wear their uniform until it is complete, i.e. the night they graduate T-Flight, which is their 9th meeting if all goes correctly.

They learn, in T-Flight, when it is and isn't appropriate to wear their uniforms.  With a structured T-Flight, this stuff doesn't happen.

But no one ever listens to me.
Serving since 1987.

RogueLeader

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on February 21, 2009, 05:47:16 PM
Quote from: CAPP-151g. If you wear your uniform to civilian social functions, you must wear the service dress uniform, or mess dress uniform, or uniform that parallels the civilian dress for the occasion, that is, coat and tie. You may not wear fatigues or flight suits to civilian functions.
Emphasis mine

I agree with the seniment of the publication, but at it is a publication, it has no regulatory power. In order for it to do so, it would have to say:  "Compliance with this publication is Mandatory."  Or words to that effect.

For the school situation, with the popper authorization, I really don't have that big a problem with it.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Stonewall on February 21, 2009, 07:31:44 PM
This is why I don't allow new cadets to wear their uniform until it is complete, i.e. the night they graduate T-Flight, which is their 9th meeting if all goes correctly.

They learn, in T-Flight, when it is and isn't appropriate to wear their uniforms.  With a structured T-Flight, this stuff doesn't happen.

But no one ever listens to me.

I wish they would.     It really gets me annoyed when someone has a uniform discrepancy (cutouts grossly off, say) and no one in the unit even bothers to help that member.   When I ask if the member is aware of the reg in question in 39-1, I usually get, "I haven't read it".   *headdesk*

Most Squadron Commanders that I've seen just don't care - and that's a shame.

winterg

I have actually seen cutouts stapled onto a uniform! lol  Or my favorite is glued.

That's usually when I bring my sewing machine to a meeting.

This is why I am I firm proponent of a structured indoctrination phase for cadets and seniors.  Many squadrons have implemented their own programs and are great.  But as an organization as a whole I believe we are seriously lacking on this issue.

Just becuase you can pay your dues, doesn't mean a person knows how to wear a uniform.  And as we all know, the person wearing the uniform reflects the organization as a whole.

As far as wearing a uniform to school on the day of the meeting, done correctly and with the blessing of the CC, I believe it is an invaluable recruiting tool.  BDU's or Blues.