Ground team uniform

Started by isuhawkeye, October 17, 2007, 10:45:11 PM

isuhawkeye

I've gotten a few PM's on this topic, and I thank the contributers. 

So Far only Colorado, and California have admitted to these uniforms.  Anyone Else?

RiverAux

Who needs an approved supplement to do anything anymore?  We already know about a region that has ordered aditional ES qualificaiton requirements to be met without a nationally-approved supplement as specifically required by 60-3. 

Wing Kings still reign supreme!

isuhawkeye

I'm not sure what you are talking about, but this is a discussion on Ground team uniforms. 

Did you have something to contribute?

RiverAux

It was in reference to an apparent lack of supplements approving uniforms that were being worn...

_

Does anyone have additional photos of the CAWG GT uniform?  I'd like to see more of how it looks in use.

SarDragon

That's all I have handy. It's pretty simple - BBDU pants, and an orange shirt, with the specified insignia/patches. It's pretty well described in the supplement.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

_

Yeah I've read through that.  I just like to see how it looks when people put it into practice. 

SarDragon

OK, here's another one. The names have been obliterated.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Dragoon

What always kills me about this kind of BS is that first they claim it's for safety...

..and then they let people keep wearing the old "unsafe" bdu if they don't want to buy the new suit.

Guys, if it's truly for safety, it needs to be MANDATORY, regardless of the price or inconvenience.

If it's not for safety...you don't need to be doing it at all.

Major Lord

Quote from: Dragoon on October 19, 2007, 02:59:00 PM
What always kills me about this kind of BS is that first they claim it's for safety...

..and then they let people keep wearing the old "unsafe" bdu if they don't want to buy the new suit.

Guys, if it's truly for safety, it needs to be MANDATORY, regardless of the price or inconvenience.

If it's not for safety...you don't need to be doing it at all.

I can't remember how often I have heard the phrase "Safety is our mission" or various iterations of this thought. I always thought our primary mission on a Ground Team was to act in defense of the lives of others, a mission to which, a certain amount of risk is attendant. There is nothing safe about going out in the woods, generally in bad weather and without a lot of pre-prep and planning time. Safety is not our mission: Our MISSION is our mission! Risk management is part of our culture, one we frankly are not very good at. We violate uniform regulations in the name of safety, but will field 100 y/o ground team members with bad hearts and bad backs. Risk mitigation should be undertaken from prudence, and not knee-jerk over-reactions to non-existant risks. I suspect that our CAWG great-pumpkin ground team uniform is more of an attempt to look like the NASAR qualified and trained Sheriff's SAR teams than a bona-fide attempt at risk management.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Lord on October 19, 2007, 03:43:09 PM
I suspect that our CAWG great-pumpkin ground team uniform is more of an attempt to look like the NASAR qualified and trained Sheriff's SAR teams than a bona-fide attempt at risk management.

I was wondering if I was the only person that thought that.

I don't know if Cal Wing still does it, but back during the North Ridge quake relief, an "authorized" uniform of an orange T-shirt with the BDU's a la Hawk Mountain used to be allowed. Don't know if it still is or not, just haven't gotten around to looking.

_

It looks like a couple people in the photo are part of a sheriff's department team by the look of the patch on their right shoulder.  As was pointed out the sheriff department team all wear a uniform of an orange shirt and bdu type pants.  It's not always a bad thing to work towards falling in line with an organization of civilian teams that are the primary resource and most likely do the job better than us.  Our uniform differentiates us in a major way from civilian teams, especially in CA where the civilian teams all wear the same basic uniform.  The one team, one fight ethos in SAR extends to our inclusion in the rest of the SAR community.  In a place where the whole rest of the SAR community agrees that an idea is a good one we should seriously look at adopting it like CAWG has done in this case.

Dragoon

That makes some sense - but again it only works if it is REQUIRED not optional

As long as some guys wear the special suit and others just wear BDUs, the effect of "looking like everyone else" takes a huge hit.

And, of course, we'll never mandate special suits due to cost.  The same reason we don't mandate field jackets with BDUs, and allow any civilian overgarment with corporate utilities. 

SarDragon

Quote from: Hawk200 on October 19, 2007, 03:47:47 PM
Quote from: Major Lord on October 19, 2007, 03:43:09 PM
I suspect that our CAWG great-pumpkin ground team uniform is more of an attempt to look like the NASAR qualified and trained Sheriff's SAR teams than a bona-fide attempt at risk management.

I was wondering if I was the only person that thought that.

I don't know if Cal Wing still does it, but back during the North Ridge quake relief, an "authorized" uniform of an orange T-shirt with the BDU's a la Hawk Mountain used to be allowed. Don't know if it still is or not, just haven't gotten around to looking.

What you see in the supplement is what you get. Please keep in mind that the pictures are older than the supplement, so there are differences. This was pointed out in my original post.

Quote from: Bayhawk21 on October 19, 2007, 04:02:26 PM
It looks like a couple people in the photo are part of a sheriff's department team by the look of the patch on their right shoulder.  As was pointed out the sheriff department team all wear a uniform of an orange shirt and bdu type pants.  It's not always a bad thing to work towards falling in line with an organization of civilian teams that are the primary resource and most likely do the job better than us.  Our uniform differentiates us in a major way from civilian teams, especially in CA where the civilian teams all wear the same basic uniform.  The one team, one fight ethos in SAR extends to our inclusion in the rest of the SAR community.  In a place where the whole rest of the SAR community agrees that an idea is a good one we should seriously look at adopting it like CAWG has done in this case.

As for the patches, the ones on the right shoulder are, IIRC, OES or SARTECH items. None of these folks are LE, they are all CAP.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

_

They aren't the standard SARTECH patches.  I know the majority of sheriff SAR team members are volunteers.  The patch has a sheriff's star on it so I assumed they were just cross trained.

JayT

Quote from: Dragoon on October 19, 2007, 05:30:25 PM
That makes some sense - but again it only works if it is REQUIRED not optional

As long as some guys wear the special suit and others just wear BDUs, the effect of "looking like everyone else" takes a huge hit.

And, of course, we'll never mandate special suits due to cost.  The same reason we don't mandate field jackets with BDUs, and allow any civilian overgarment with corporate utilities. 

We *do* mandate field jackets with BDUs, unit commanders don't enforce it.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

sardak

The yellow and blue patches with the star are California OES Search and Rescue patches which the supplement allows.

Orange shirts aren't mandatory and ground team members are allowed to wear BDUs for the same reasons CAP lets aircrews fly in polyester golf shirts and slacks with low quarter shoes instead of mandating nomex flightsuits and boots.

Sheriff's and other SAR teams don't all wear orange.  Many wear green and gray (or similar colors) and some have no specific uniform.

Mike

PHall

Quote from: Bayhawk21 on October 19, 2007, 10:43:21 PM
They aren't the standard SARTECH patches.  I know the majority of sheriff SAR team members are volunteers.  The patch has a sheriff's star on it so I assumed they were just cross trained.

Search and Rescue falls under the Law Enforcement Section of the California Office of Emergency Services.
Which is why the patch has the star on it.

Dragoon

Quote from: JThemann on October 19, 2007, 10:51:26 PMWe *do* mandate field jackets with BDUs, unit commanders don't enforce it.

Which is the practical equivalent of not mandating it at all.

Tag spacing - MIKE

JayT

So rather then a useless 'uniform,' have those members put their money back into the program to buy cadets field jackets. We're all in this together.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."