Main Menu

G/W Headgear

Started by DesertRat, February 19, 2016, 04:06:02 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: varitec on February 25, 2016, 02:59:16 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on February 24, 2016, 07:57:32 PM
Quote from: varitec on February 24, 2016, 07:50:53 PM
In most places it says "The CAP Baseball cap." The "the" suggests a specific thing, yet nowhere is one defined.

Sure it is. In the places in the manual that state CAP baseball cap and are linked, it arrives here:

6.2.9. CAP Baseball Cap. Wing and region commanders may prescribe color, unit designation,
and/or emblem to be on the baseball cap. No rank insignia may be worn on this cap, and no emblems
(clouds, darts, etc.) may be worn on the cap visor.

Seems pretty simple. A black baseball cap fits. So does a red cap with the unit number embroidered on it. So does a green cap with a squadron patch on it. Check within your wing or region to see if there is a 39-1 supplement with specifics on the cap. If not, follow the rules in the book. Don't over think this. It ain't rocket surgery....

Exactly, there is no "The CAP baseball cap."

There was no consensus in any of my units (except those who were authorised Squadron baseball caps, which still looked goofy with what is supposed to be a "Class B" type uniform) on what a "CAP baseball cap" meant.  Many insisted it was those sold by Vanguard.

However, 39-1 does not say that, and never said it about baseball caps sold by CAPMart, the Bookstore, etc.

If one were to get a baseball cap of any colour, and affix a non-prohibited CAP insignia of some kind - even obsolete collar dogs with the "C.A.P." lettering - that would be, by definition, a CAP Baseball Cap.  Even the old "Pepsi" patch stitched on a baseball cap would qualify as "a CAP baseball cap."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Storm Chaser

There's no nationally authorized or prescribed CAP baseball cap per se. A CAP baseball cap is any baseball cap authorized by the wing or region commander, who can prescribe the color, unit designation, and emblem of the baseball IAW CAPM 39-1. While the terminology used in CAPM 39-1 is a bit confusing, Para. 6.2.9 provides the definition of what the CAP baseball cap is and who can approve it.

Quote from: CAPM 39-16.2.9. CAP Baseball Cap. Wing and region commanders may prescribe color, unit designation, and/or emblem to be on the baseball cap. No rank insignia may be worn on this cap, and no emblems (clouds, darts, etc.) may be worn on the cap visor.

JeffDG

Quote from: Storm Chaser on February 25, 2016, 10:58:05 PM
There's no nationally authorized or prescribed CAP baseball cap per se. A CAP baseball cap is any baseball cap authorized by the wing or region commander, who can prescribe the color, unit designation, and emblem of the baseball IAW CAPM 39-1. While the terminology used in CAPM 39-1 is a bit confusing, Para. 6.2.9 provides the definition of what the CAP baseball cap is and who can approve it.

Quote from: CAPM 39-16.2.9. CAP Baseball Cap. Wing and region commanders may prescribe color, unit designation, and/or emblem to be on the baseball cap. No rank insignia may be worn on this cap, and no emblems (clouds, darts, etc.) may be worn on the cap visor.
If a neither wing nor region has no CAPM 39-1 supplement, then is it your position that no cap may be worn?  (not snark, seeking genuine clarification)

Storm Chaser

Quote from: JeffDG on February 25, 2016, 11:05:12 PM

If a neither wing nor region has no CAPM 39-1 supplement, then is it your position that no cap may be worn?  (not snark, seeking genuine clarification)

I never said that. My position is that according to CAPM 39-1, Para. 6.2.9, the CAP baseball cap is a baseball cap authorized by the wing or region commander within the scope and restrictions prescribed in CAPM 39-1.

While supplements to CAPM 39-1 are authorized at the wing and region levels, CAPM 39-1 does not specifically require a supplement for wing or region commanders to authorize the color, unit designation, or emblem of these baseball caps, although some wings or regions may choose to do it that way. Others may authorize a unit or activity baseball cap through other means.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Storm Chaser on February 25, 2016, 11:15:36 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on February 25, 2016, 11:05:12 PM

I never said that. My position is that according to CAPM 39-1, Para. 6.2.9, the CAP baseball cap is a baseball cap authorized by the wing or region commander within the scope and restrictions prescribed in CAPM 39-1.

While supplements to CAPM 39-1 are authorized at the wing and region levels, CAPM 39-1 does not specifically require a supplement for wing or region commanders to authorize the color, unit designation, or emblem of these baseball caps, although some wings or regions may choose to do it that way. Others may authorize a unit or activity baseball cap through other means.

How else would you regulatory allow them for wear, if not in a supplement?  Regular orders don't cut it the standard of 39-1.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

lordmonar

Hmmmmmmm......no.

If the wing commander says "sure wear that hat"....that's all I need.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JeffDG

Quote from: lordmonar on February 26, 2016, 02:37:42 AM
Hmmmmmmm......no.

If the wing commander says "sure wear that hat"....that's all I need.
I would concur with that.

CAPM 39-1 is pretty good about saying that certain things (like Blue Berets for other-than-NBB-graduates) may only be authorized by supplement.  This regulation on hats says nothing about requiring a supplement.

Checotah

Quote from: CyBorg on February 25, 2016, 10:45:39 PM
.... those who were authorised Squadron baseball caps, which still looked goofy with what is supposed to be a "Class B" type uniform...

That's one of my points about needing some kind of headgear for the G/W.  When wearing a shirt and tie, a ball cap of any type just doesn't fit.  It's like wearing a ball cap with a suit or sportscoat, shirt and tie.  Only people I see wearing something like that are sports coaches.
Fred Arnett
Lt. Col., CAP

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Checotah on February 26, 2016, 11:03:45 PM
.... those who were authorised Squadron baseball caps, which still looked goofy with what is supposed to be a "Class B" type uniform...

That's one of my points about needing some kind of headgear for the G/W.  When wearing a shirt and tie, a ball cap of any type just doesn't fit.  It's like wearing a ball cap with a suit or sportscoat, shirt and tie.  Only people I see wearing something like that are sports coaches.

I found another.

My pest control guy came by the other day. Khaki trousers, white shirt with pocket flaps and epaulets, and baseball cap. Reminderd me a lot of this topic.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

N6RVT

And people who want to make America great again.

PHall

Quote from: N6RVT on February 28, 2016, 01:27:17 PM

And people who want to make America great again.

I consider America to be great right now. Don't believe me? Try leaving the country for awhile.