Distinguished Warfare Medal

Started by Flying Pig, February 14, 2013, 03:49:40 PM

flyboy53

Quote from: SarDragon on March 13, 2013, 07:21:46 AM
Quote from: FlyTiger77 on March 13, 2013, 03:31:25 AM
Quote from: MSG Mac on March 13, 2013, 03:14:34 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on March 04, 2013, 04:53:42 AM
Quote from: flyboy1 on March 03, 2013, 11:27:53 PM
Second, I didn't confuse personal decorations with campaign medals. I was explaining how there was an obvious change in policy that once allowed this otherwise exception to policy -- and by the way, I know the individual who received these Korean campaign medals. He received the Occupation Medal for Japan at the same time.

Nice trick. The occupation ended in 1952, as did medal eligibility. I spent nine years stationed in Japan (off and on from 1973 to 1989), and never heard hint one about the Occupation Medal.
And the Korean War began in June 1950.  The soldier could have been stationed with the occupation Forces in either Korea or Japan ( Or the European Theater) prior to his experiences in the war.

If I recall correctly, except for Task Force SMITH, the only US forces in proximity to the Korean peninsula were the ones occupying Japan. I don't remember how many troops flowed from Japan to Korea, but I believe it was not insubstantial.

Apropos of not much, I had a neighbor who was in an airborne unit in the Japanese occupation. Come to think of it, my grandfather may have been part of the occupation, too. (I knew the neighbor. My grandfather died before I was born.)

Quote from: SECNAVINST 1650.1H(5) Units performing service In the Korean area during the period 27 June 1950 to 27 April 1952, inclusive, and eligible for the Korean Service Medal, will not be credited with eligibility for the Navy Occupation Service Medal (NOSM) for the same period.

There were US Naval units directly involved in combat in Korea, primarily aviation assets. To the best of my knowledge, they were not also considered occupation forces.

Guys,

The man I spoke about got the Occupation Medal for Japan -- not Korea. He was an Air Force sergeant, a cryptologic linguist, assigned to an AACS unit that was part U.S. Far East Air Forces (now PACAF) in Japan. He never left the islands, but because his duties were in direct support of the fighting in Korea (that statement is in a box on his discharge), he got the Korean Service and UN medals as well -- Interesting person; sixty years later and he still won't talk about what he did. He just smiles when you ask him.

As far as Task Force Smith. those were elements of the 8th Army and 24th Infantry Division who were the first ones to enter into combat in Korea. They were actually part of the occupation forces of Japan at the start of the Korean Conflict.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Pylon

FYI, just changing the name of this thread to a more accurate term as this medal is neither Marine Corps specific, nor limited to UAV's.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Pentagon scraps medal for drone pilots after uproar
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/15/us-usa-pentagon-medal-idUSBRE93E12V20130415

(Reuters) - The Pentagon said on Monday it will not issue a new medal to honor drone pilots and cyber warriors after uproar over the decision to rank this decoration above some medals given to troops wounded or killed in battle.

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel rolled back a decision by his predecessor, Leon Panetta, who two months ago unveiled a "Distinguished Warfare Medal" outranking the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart, awarded to wounded troops.

Hagel, a Vietnam veteran with two Purple Hearts, said instead the Pentagon would create a "distinguishing device" that can be affixed to existing medals.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

I wonder if the "distinguishing device" is going to look like a game controller? >:D

teesquared

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Quote from: PHall on April 15, 2013, 09:45:09 PM
I wonder if the "distinguishing device" is going to look like a game controller? >:D
Maj Terry Thompson
DP/DA   RMR-CO-147

Devil Doc

Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

lordmonar

I'm not.

Shows how much the government is beholdend to the VFW and such.

Not the first time.  :(
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

CAPAPRN

I do respect your beliefs MSgt- and I think there is an ongoing cyber war that most Americans are not even aware of. Major banks are continuously under assault- our power grid is at risk, the list goes on (the medal was not a drone pilot only award). I think what most people objected to was the placement of the medal in the order of precedence, and I believe that was also the major objection of the VFW and Order of the Purple Heart etc. Maybe I am just too old- I served over 30 years ago , perhaps this is the start of a "sea change" - perhaps the way we will stop a North Korean missile is by hacking the code for the controller as opposed to shooting it down with another missile.
Capt. Carol A Whelan CAP CTWG,
CTWG Asst. Director of Communications
CTWG Director of Admin & Personnel
Commander NER-CT-004
DCS CTWG 2015 Encampment

Devil Doc

Quote from: lordmonar on April 16, 2013, 12:08:39 AM
I'm not.

Shows how much the government is beholdend to the VFW and such.

Not the first time.  :(

Well, attaching a Device to a existing medal makes more since to me. If it was not ranked above a PH or BS it would have passed.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

lordmonar

The problem is that "most people" don't really understand the military decoration system.

"the UAV medal" is higher then the PH and BS....because it is harder to earn then either of those.

The PH heart is awarded for everything from getting killed to getting a sprainged ankle......the injury must be sever enough to warrent "medical treatment".....i.e.  Nasty bruse....here's your motrin......and has to result due to enemy action.   

The BS....is a combat zone service medal!  It is not just for valor....lots of people get it......a lot of them for "just doing their job".

The reason why this new medal got any flack at all.....is because the general public and a lot of military personnel don't respect UAV and Cyber warriors.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Devil Doc

Quote from: lordmonar on April 16, 2013, 04:32:54 AM
The problem is that "most people" don't really understand the military decoration system.

"the UAV medal" is higher then the PH and BS....because it is harder to earn then either of those.

The PH heart is awarded for everything from getting killed to getting a sprainged ankle......the injury must be sever enough to warrent "medical treatment".....i.e.  Nasty bruse....here's your motrin......and has to result due to enemy action.   

The BS....is a combat zone service medal!  It is not just for valor....lots of people get it......a lot of them for "just doing their job".

The reason why this new medal got any flack at all.....is because the general public and a lot of military personnel don't respect UAV and Cyber warriors.

I respect UAV and Cyber Warriors, we recovered one while one Deployment, they were watching our backs. They do a great job, and were glad to have them. It is a Sticky trail when it comes to awards, esp in the Marines. IMO some people that got a BS with no V, is a slap in the face to people who who hard in the trenches. A Combat device, just like the V, is just like a Device attaching to an Existing Medal.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Private Investigator

Quote from: PHall on April 15, 2013, 09:45:09 PM

ROFL   :clap: