Distinguished Warfare Medal

Started by Flying Pig, February 14, 2013, 03:49:40 PM

LGM30GMCC

That's the thing though. Most BSMs are probably BSMs and not BSM-Vs. And you can't put a medal above the BSM but below the BSM-V. Just doesn't work.

lordmonar

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on February 17, 2013, 08:24:16 PM
That's the thing though. Most BSMs are probably BSMs and not BSM-Vs. And you can't put a medal above the BSM but below the BSM-V. Just doesn't work.
Yeah....well that's the same story for any medal with a V device......but there you go.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MAJORZ04

Back during my days in Vietnam, I was recommended for the BSM, during the TET Offensive.
I was in the US Army.  The decoration was downgraded to to ACM/w V because I was not
wounded and put in for a PH at the same time. For our unit the BSM was held in very high regard.
During that time no office staff were ever awarded a BSM.  Sure many soldiers were awarded the
ACM, and all were EARNED.
True, times have changed and awards and decorations reflect diffferent actions.  But the BSM
is still a COMBAT related award.
An award for UAV operators is justified but should not be above the BSM....

BGNightfall

How about either just above or just below the Air Medal?  Just below would put it senior to commendation medals (and the Aerial Achievement Medal), but just above would make just junior to the Meritorious Service Medal while senior to all flying awards but the DFC.

Devil Doc

So playing video Games gets you a medal above a BSM? Makes since to me
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

lordmonar

Quote from: Devil Doc on February 19, 2013, 05:42:15 PM
So playing video Games gets you a medal above a BSM? Makes since to me
Dude.......I am an RPA maintenance Tech.    It is not a video game.....they are killing bad guys and saving good guys every farting day!

Private Investigator

FYI, the VFW has lodged a grivance re: the UAV medal. I am guessing it will be downgraded between NCM and NAM.

Devil Doc

Im not downgrading what they do, just think the medal needs to be downgraded.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Devil Doc

They have an Aerial Achievment Medal, that should suffice.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

lordmonar

Quote from: Devil Doc on February 20, 2013, 02:55:11 PM
They have an Aerial Achievment Medal, that should suffice.
That's good for the UAV guys....but what about the cyber/intel/support guys?

Dispite the title of this thread....the medal is not just for the marines and not just for UAV operators.

It is for all war fighters who directly contribute to the war effort from outside the war zone.

Flying Pig

So we have military people who dont contribute to the war effort?  I know... its a rhetorical question.  I know there is a difference.  The guy slinging ham and eggs in Fort Carson, vs the guy pulling the trigger on an Hell Fire launched from a Predator.

I think the issue most have is where it sits on the chart.   Again, the medal is what it is.  If it was for tying shoes..... who cares if its above the Medal of Honor.  People see your shoe tying medal at the top  of your stack, and standing next you is a guy with the MoH at the top of his stack.  People know the deal. They arent going to oooooo and ahhhhhh over the shoe tying medal because its higher on a chart somewhere.  There are several medals that rank above the BSM, above the PH and above the SS that have nothing to do with combat ops.
When you think about the BSM when its given for non-valor, whats the big deal with this medal?   If you look at it in that view, it actually ranks one above the Meritorious Service Medal, because the BSM without the "V" is essentially just that, a Meritorious Service Medal awarded in a combat zone. 

When I first posted the article, I was all torqued... now, after reading different opinions and views, Ive basically adopted the position of "Yeah...... OK.  I just wish they would have placed more in line with a Commendation Medal or Achievement Medal"

J2H

The DWM is supposed to be for UAV ops as well as cyber security and other stuff like that
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

Flying Pig

Is there a date from when it starts? Or could you technically be put in for it for actions dating back years ago?  Or even other wars? 

lordmonar

according to Wiki it can be retroactively awarded from after Sept 11, 2001.

Also reading the critera for the award and the why it is higher then the BSM......it requries direct "hands on weapons employment" through any medium.

The BSM does not require direct combat action......just distinguinshed service in a combat zone.

Flying Pig

As I am reading and learning more about it.... Im having less and less of an issue with it honestly.   

flyboy53

Quote from: lordmonar on February 17, 2013, 07:52:33 PM
Quote from: flyboy1 on February 17, 2013, 11:20:38 AM
So at a time when the DoD is facing severe budget cuts because of the antics in Washington, we create more bling.

Quess, I don't understand why the critera for an existing medal -- like the Air Medal or Bronze Star -- wasn't expanded to include cyber ops or drone warfare, but that's too much common sense.

Someone could have been a little more creative like a special device signifying the type of warefare.

Years ago in the Air Force, air traffic controllers used to joke about putting a battery operated light on top of their badge. You could put a little UAV on hte ribbon and launch it.....
[/quote
The Bronze star was ammended by congress after the Kosovo war to be only awarded to those IN A DESIGNATED COMBAT PAY AREA.......the VFW got all up in arms when a Col and a CMSgt were awarded Bronze Stars for setting up and running a Tent City in Italy.

The Air Medal......is limited only to air crew.........this new medal is for all war fighters who fight from outside the combat areas.

Above the Bronze Star.....because the award critera for the Bronze Star is pretty low.   Your contribution to the war is very low...while this new medal says "direct contribution"...........So you can earn the Bronze Star being an Finance Person who did finance work while stationed in a combat zone.  You don't have to win the war, you don't have to save your buddy's life, you don't have cut checks while dodgeing bullets.    This new medal requires you to show how your actions help win the war (or at least win the battle).

I was being funny. Understand that I joined the Air Force when the Commendation Medal was about the only attaboy medal that an enlisted member could earn. I actually knew the major who received the first MSM.

Back then the Combat Readiness Medal was created to recognize everyone that stood at a constant state of readliness during the Cold War. It once was considered a formal decoration and those who earned it were really proud of it -- even though there were plenty of jokes about it.

It was the same when the Air Force created the BMTS Honor Grad ribbon -- then the number of people I met wearing it during my career could be counted on two hands.

I understand the scope of military operations has changed dramatically since I wore the blue suit. Perhaps this is a good thing -- with the ever increasing ops tempo that the drone crews work.

lordmonar

HaHa.....funny.  The "Top Drone" school has existed for about four years now.  :)
It is one of the customers that I work for.

Flying Pig

"I feel the need.... for speed" just doesn't give off the same feeling of power that it once did.....

Maverick I feel the need... the need for speed

bosshawk

I guess that you do, you fly a Hughes 500 helicopter.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777