If you are too fat for the blues then you are too fat for BDU's!

Started by Robert Hartigan, June 25, 2010, 10:07:18 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Short Field on July 01, 2010, 04:28:37 AM
So why was Cyborg quoting me?

Apparently I was not clear.

What I meant is that those junior to the General would not find making such an observation good for their careers.

I apologise for any confusion.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

tsrup

Quote from: SABRE17 on July 01, 2010, 04:57:29 AM
so i have a small question

i am the supply NCO at my unit, my unit is graced with having (almost literally) a tractor-trailer full of BDU's, recently a new senior member asked me to equip him, he is... large. i havent issued the uniform yet but what should i do?

A) i cant issue these because you are over weight standards
B) issue them and say this might be legal idk?
C) issue them and turn a blind eye

also what about cadets, how do i go about explaining this to them, i dont want anyone to quit or get angry "you called my son fat" phone calls or get repremanded but im a firm believer in making CAP look good in military eyes.

It all depends on how you go about the situation.  How can you tell the new member exceeds h/w standards (even if its painfuly obvious).  Is there a scale at gear issue?  Did you weigh the new member?  Is every new member weighed before being issued BDUs?  These are important questions to think about, and if you do think about the impact they could have, you can save yourself future headaches.
Paramedic
hang-around.

RiverAux

Tell your commander the situation and the commander can ask for a height/weight check. 

RickFranz

i am the supply NCO at my unit, my unit is graced with having (almost literally) a tractor-trailer full of BDU's, recently a new senior member asked me to equip him, he is... large. i havent issued the uniform yet but what should i do?

A) i cant issue these because you are over weight standards
B) issue them and say this might be legal idk?
C) issue them and turn a blind eye

also what about cadets, how do i go about explaining this to them, i dont want anyone to quit or get angry "you called my son fat" phone calls or get repremanded but im a firm believer in making CAP look good in military eyes.
What I have done in the past is to have a copy of the height and weight  chart and have the member look at it and then ask them how tall they are.  I think you will find that the conversation will change to something like well what do I wear then.   Then you can tell him about the other uniform options.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

RVT

i am the supply NCO at my unit, my unit is graced with having (almost literally) a tractor-trailer full of BDU's, recently a new senior member asked me to equip him, he is... large. i haven't issued the uniform yet but what should i do?
It would be interesting to see if you HAVE bdu's that size - and if they were surplussed out to you - who were they initially intended for?

SABRE17

who were they initially intended for?

my unit is based on OTIS ANBG cape cod, former home to the 102nd fighter wing and now home to a couple AF communications units etc. the switch to ABU's has yielded plentiful stacks of BDU's

and i have yet to fit said SM so i do not know if i have sizes that would fit him (probabbly dont)

RVT

Quote from: SABRE17 on July 01, 2010, 02:09:45 PM
and i have yet to fit said SM so i do not know if i have sizes that would fit him (probably don't)

I wasn't aware that CAP issued free uniforms to seniors, but its not likely you are going to have a cadet that size anyway.  And what else would you do with them?  All a BDU of any size is good for is a person who fits in it.

SABRE17

my unit issues them because we HAVE them, we are blessed with having so many, at MA wing conference i singled out some of the less good uniforms and gave them away, i do believe the national commander grabbed a set along with just about everyone there.

and your right, ill only issue what fits, no fit, no uniform.

arajca

Quote from: Dwight J. Dutton on July 01, 2010, 02:16:55 PM
Quote from: SABRE17 on July 01, 2010, 02:09:45 PM
and i have yet to fit said SM so i do not know if i have sizes that would fit him (probably don't)

I wasn't aware that CAP issued free uniforms to seniors, but its not likely you are going to have a cadet that size anyway.  And what else would you do with them?  All a BDU of any size is good for is a person who fits in it.
Generally, if CAP has uniforms to issue, they'll issue to any member, senior or cadet, for whom that uniform is appropriate.

Krapenhoeffer

Correct me if I'm wrong... But I thought that cadets under 18 only had to meet grooming, not height/weight...
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

JohnKachenmeister

Krapen:

You're wrong.  Cadets over 18 are under the same rules as SM's.  Don't meet h/W, don't wear AF uniforms.
Another former CAP officer

arajca

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 02, 2010, 01:07:19 PM
Krapen:

You're wrong.  Cadets over 18 are under the same rules as SM's.  Don't meet h/W, don't wear AF uniforms.
Krapenhoeffer is correct:
Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on July 02, 2010, 01:32:58 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong... But I thought that cadets under 18 only had to meet grooming, not height/weight...

Ops Guy

Speaking as a Senior from Sabre's squadron. It is not a cadets place to issue or not issue a uniform requested by a Senior. It would however be the squadron Commanders obligation to inform the senior that this type of uniform might be inappropriate, and refer him to the regulations.

We need to follow the rules of the road so to speak, but when we go to conferences and Majors and Lt. Colonels are wearing uniforms that obviously don't fit, it is hard to explaint this to new seniors. Hopefully they have enough respect for the uniform not to wear it.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: arajca on July 02, 2010, 01:45:28 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 02, 2010, 01:07:19 PM
Krapen:

Krapenhoeffer is correct:
Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on July 02, 2010, 01:32:58 AM

Oops.  My bad.  Should have read it more carefully.   :-[
Another former CAP officer