If you are too fat for the blues then you are too fat for BDU's!

Started by Robert Hartigan, June 25, 2010, 10:07:18 PM

Robert Hartigan

Besides being a uniform violations, a departure from the core value of integrity, and just bad form; if you exceed the USAF height weight standard then you are not supposed to wear the USAF style uniforms according to CAP manuals and regulations.

Put bluntly for those that are easily confused: If you are too fat for the blues then you are too fat for BDU's!

And, those that try to claim that the BDU's are not a USAF style uniform I say, "Poppycock and Fiddle Faddle!"

A height weight check at least yearly should be a requirement!
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

DakRadz

Actually, it's if you exceed the Civil Air Patrol height/weight standards. Slight but important difference.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

Quote from: Robert Hartigan on June 25, 2010, 10:07:18 PM
Besides being a uniform violations, a departure from the core value of integrity, and just bad form; if you exceed the USAF height weight standard then you are not supposed to wear the USAF style uniforms according to CAP manuals and regulations.

Put bluntly for those that are easily confused: If you are too fat for the blues then you are too fat for BDU's!

And, those that try to claim that the BDU's are not a USAF style uniform I say, "Poppycock and Fiddle Faddle!"

A height weight check at least yearly should be a requirement!
And your point is..?
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

EMT-83

Patterson

First Post!!   :D

What is the point you are making??  What about "Respect".  You are trying to make a point, but you lost that when you had to explain your point to us "easily confused" members.

So, will you be the first one on the scale? 

We also trust you to take your online CAP tests by yourself.  I think we should come to your house and watch you while you take those tests!!  How would that make you feel? 

DakRadz

Quote from: Patterson on June 26, 2010, 03:13:20 AM
First Post!!   :D

What is the point you are making??  What about "Respect".  You are trying to make a point, but you lost that when you had to explain your point to us "easily confused" members.

So, will you be the first one on the scale? 

We also trust you to take your online CAP tests by yourself.  I think we should come to your house and watch you while you take those tests!!  How would that make you feel?

In the words of SarDragon:

PM sent.

Patterson

RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on June 25, 2010, 11:07:07 PMUm...duh?

I'm 5'10" and 174 Lb.  I can gain 20 Lb and still be within USAF standards.  But I *look* fat.  Now what?

Or should I just be glad my wife is not in CAP?

♠SARKID♠

The CyBorg is destroyed

Those who get a yearly physical - and we all should - have a yearly height/weight check.

At almost 45 years old I'm not as skinny as I was at 18, plus some of the medication I take has the annoying side effect of weight gain, which means I have to take it upon myself to go to the health club.

When I was in high school I managed the wrestling team (I was too small to be an effective wrestler; I ran track) and they weighed-in before each match.  That's the imagery that's coming to mind right now.

You start doing that at CAP units and you're going to start having people stay away.

Basically it is up to us to ensure that we are within CAP uniform compliance in all areas, not just H/W.

If someone isn't, whether it be blues, BDU's, white/greys, CSU (please save it!), then it's down to the squadron CC to let the member know, using the "praise in public, admonish in private" method.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

RVT

Quote from: CyBorg on June 26, 2010, 05:40:15 AM
Those who get a yearly physical - and we all should - have a yearly height/weight check.

I don't actually look that bad.  I just don't look like I *want* to.  My CAP uniforms from 1984 still fit.

Not that it helps - All the colors changed.  Except for the shirts, those at least look like they are still 1549's

Hawk200

Quote from: RVT on June 26, 2010, 03:57:25 AMI'm 5'10" and 174 Lb.  I can gain 20 Lb and still be within USAF standards.  But I *look* fat.  Now what?
Look fat or getting a bit of gut? I'm the same height, and about the same weight. But, the stomach is starting to come out a tad.

I've been using a 5.11 compression undershirt, and it improves things. Just don't get the fancy stuff that has logos on it, they would probably show through a blue shirt.

Flying Pig

C/Martin

Regards,
C/CMSgt
Todd Martin
Executive Officer/Chief
VA-023

Eclipse

Quote from: RVT on June 26, 2010, 03:57:25 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 25, 2010, 11:07:07 PMUm...duh?

I'm 5'10" and 174 Lb.  I can gain 20 Lb and still be within USAF standards.  But I *look* fat.  Now what?

You wear the uniform or your choice and move on - the math isn't hard.  The regs say nothing about "looking fat",
only objective numbers.  Either you meet them or you don't.

If anyone challenges you, step on a scale.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Quote from: C/Martin on June 26, 2010, 04:53:56 PM
Ohh god. Not P90X!

Its a great way to blast yourself into shape quick.  It does really work.  Myself and several people I know use it.  The issue is once you are done it will take some creativity to keep going.  You cant just keep doing P90X.   A guy i work with lost 25lbs in 3 months and can now do easily 20 dead hang pull ups, push ups and everything else.  A lot of cops I know have had it really transform them.  Its easy because you just do what they tell you.  There isnt a whole lot of research on your part.  As the videos tell you, if you cant do something, move past it and keep going.  They also provide a lot of options for people who may not be able to perform the exercises.

RADIOMAN015

The BDU does a very good job of hiding someone's weight.  Since the shirt isn't tucked in there's lots of wiggle room.

As far as mandatory weigh ins, surely that will enhance retention in CAP. :angel:    Generally, I don't see a big push to get the overweight members into  Blue BDU's.  (Frankly all CAP senior members should be wearing blue utility/flight suits anyways to aid in better organizational differentiation). 

Frankly if anyone wears an appropriate AF style uniform that fits them well, whether they are overweight or not shouldn't be of anyones concern.   Just make sure ALL are uninforms get enough bright RED, WHITE, & BLUE on them so everyone knows it is CAP'ers and not AF'ers.    >:D :angel: ::)   
RM

Hawk200

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on June 26, 2010, 06:32:18 PMJust make sure ALL are uninforms get enough bright RED, WHITE, & BLUE on them so everyone knows it is CAP'ers and not AF'ers.    >:D :angel: ::)   
Try the USO.

tsrup

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on June 26, 2010, 06:32:18 PM
(Frankly all CAP senior members should be wearing blue utility/flight suits anyways to aid in better organizational differentiation). 

BS
Paramedic
hang-around.