Main Menu

Medic

Started by MedicForce, June 20, 2010, 07:23:09 PM

MedicForce

Hello CAP members. I have a question which I have not been able to find out. For the medic badge and being a squadron medic, is it possible for a cadet to do it? Where is the regulation that talks about that?
Cadet Second Lieutenant Ruben Angel Cruz-Colon
Cadet Deputy Commander
Nellis Composite Squadron
GTM-1, UDF, MRO, SET. Graduate from the first Wilderness Advanced First Aid Survival Course at NESA.

lordmonar

Ruben,

If you complete an EMT course you can wear the EMT badge.

We do not have a squadron medic, CAP regulations don't allow us to have a squadron medic in the sense you are using the word.

Having said that.....we will always encourage our cadets and SM to increase their skills in the event that we should ever need them.

Talk Lt Torrez on Tuesday about where you can get some good training.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MedicForce

Ok. Thank you sir. I was REALLY confused about that at NESA.
Cadet Second Lieutenant Ruben Angel Cruz-Colon
Cadet Deputy Commander
Nellis Composite Squadron
GTM-1, UDF, MRO, SET. Graduate from the first Wilderness Advanced First Aid Survival Course at NESA.

JayT

Quote from: MedicForce on June 20, 2010, 07:23:09 PM
Hello CAP members. I have a question which I have not been able to find out. For the medic badge and being a squadron medic, is it possible for a cadet to do it? Where is the regulation that talks about that?

You have to be a certified EMT-B, EMT-I (or whatever your states version is), or EMT-P to wear the EMT badge.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

ffemt99

will CAP honor any training I have already taken in which they require (fire and medical certs)? im not a cap member but am considering joining.

Hawk200

Quote from: ffemt99 on July 06, 2010, 04:09:22 PM
will CAP honor any training I have already taken in which they require (fire and medical certs)? im not a cap member but am considering joining.
We don't have any need for fire certifications. As to medical, the training needs to be completed EMT training in order to qualify for the badge.

SABRE17

GT FIREFIGHTER SQTR...

or

FL CRASH FIRE RESCUE SQTR

haha

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 06, 2010, 04:15:35 PM
We don't have any need for fire certifications. As to medical, the training needs to be completed EMT training in order to qualify for the badge.

You also need to be certified and licensed in your state as per the local regulations.

"That Others May Zoom"

tsrup

The only thing that would transfer over would be your ICS courses (if you have taken any).  Hopefully you kept your certificates..
Paramedic
hang-around.

Eclipse

Don't take these responses the wrong way - the mentality of urgency and professionalism found in the fire service is definitely needed, we just don't specifically put out fires or provide medical care.

"That Others May Zoom"

tsrup

Quote from: Eclipse on July 06, 2010, 05:15:01 PM
Don't take these responses the wrong way - the mentality of urgency and professionalism found in the fire service is definitely needed, we just don't specifically put out fires or provide medical care.

Truth, Many firemen and EMT's have found a home and a niche in CAP.  Quite possibly the greatest and largest benefit these members bring to the program is bringing their respective organizations closer to ours.  If all you ever end up doing in the program is help spread the word of CAP to your agency, then that is a huge win for us. 
Paramedic
hang-around.

SARTAC Medic

As a 15 year cap member, and also paid paramedic I just wanted to make  distinction here about the word "medic"

PARAMEDIC refers to someone who is trained to the level of the US DOT standard for training in Pre-Hospital Medicine. 

MEDIC is a slang term for anyone who RENDERS AID to the sick or injured in an out of hospital setting.     

While I do not personally take offense to the word MEDIC while referring to CAP members who are "TEAM MEDICS", "SQUADRON MEDIC", or any similar term, I know people who would.

Perhaps it is better to describe the person who is first aid qualified or higher, who is not CERTIFIED as a PARAMEDIC or EMT through the state to be called "First Aider" or something similar

With the Current climate of CAP using the NIMS system for ICS there may be a conflict with CAP members responding for a CERT mission or to assist with some disaster someplace and have their members mistaken for paramedics or emts because of the internal terms we are using to describe the person on our ground teams who render aid.

Everything said, I will continue to call CAP members who are the person to render aid on the team the "Team Medic" but spend a few minutes letting the person and the other members involved know that  outside of CAP it might be considered inappropriate to refer to their training as medic to offset the confusion it might bring about their qualifications. 
NY Wing SARTAC

Hawk200

Maybe we should start encouraging First Responder courses, and just use that term. Most people know what it means.

Personally, I don't really consider someone that's been through a First Aid course a "medic". If I yell "Medic!", I'm not looking for someone that's capable of just putting on a Bandaid, I'm looking for someone that knows what a nose hose is or can give me an IV.

Nothing against First Aid qualified people, but I don't think the term "medic" really applies in the manner that most people think it to be.

RiverAux

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 10, 2010, 09:31:54 PM
Maybe we should start encouraging First Responder courses, and just use that term. Most people know what it means.
Except it is going away.  "Emergency Medical Responder" is the new thing since "First Responder" has basically become a generic term for many types of emergency personnel rather than to those with a specific type of training. 

davidsinn

Quote from: RiverAux on July 10, 2010, 10:28:06 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on July 10, 2010, 09:31:54 PM
Except it is going away.  "Emergency Medical Responder" is the new thing since "First Responder" has basically become a generic term for many types of emergency personnel rather than to those with a specific type of training.

That and a first responder course is going to set you back hundreds of dollars so it's stupid to replace the first aid requirement with it.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

RiverAux

"Emergency Medical Responder" IS "First Responder".  They just changed the name. 

Not sure where you're getting your prices from though.  Last time RC did one locally it was like $40. 

EMT-83

davidsinn

Quote from: RiverAux on July 11, 2010, 01:13:43 AM
"Emergency Medical Responder" IS "First Responder".  They just changed the name. 

Not sure where you're getting your prices from though.  Last time RC did one locally it was like $40.

My wife took it in college to the tune of $700. A local unit does it through ARC using a CAP member as instructor for a deep discount at a price of $100. In IN it's the step right below EMT-B. My volunteer fire company is about 50% first responders and they get there to do initial stabilization before the bus with EMTs arrives. My county does not currently have any paramedics.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

JayT

Quote from: davidsinn on July 11, 2010, 02:20:57 AM

My wife took it in college to the tune of $700. A local unit does it through ARC using a CAP member as instructor for a deep discount at a price of $100. In IN it's the step right below EMT-B. My volunteer fire company is about 50% first responders and they get there to do initial stabilization before the bus with EMTs arrives. My county does not currently have any paramedics.

Your entire county doesn't have a single active medic? Wow. We're spoiled out here!
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Eclipse

Not necessarily - a lot of members around me have taken classes called "first responder" which is basically first aid + CERT, etc.,
offered by local agencies for about $40.

Full-on EMR classes run $700-900+.

"That Others May Zoom"