Main Menu

Safety Core Curriculum

Started by wyodmcs, May 26, 2014, 05:15:03 PM

wyodmcs

What topics do you or would you put into a CAP safety calendar-plan?

e.g. - mission mindset, get-home-itis, large passenger van safety, G1000 pitfalls, 101 or Critical Days of Summer, etc.?

a2capt

Sounds good to me..
Also think of stuff that is applicable to the locality .. dust storms, windy roads, lightning, iced over bridges.. things that go with the climate, terrain, etc.

lordmonar

zombie apocalypse, duck and cover, so your air liner has just been hijacked,

If we are going to make us do this....at least make it fun.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

LSThiker

Quote from: lordmonar on May 26, 2014, 06:45:07 PM
zombie apocalypse

CDC Zombie:
http://www.cdc.gov/phpr/zombies.htm

Did you know, it cost the CDC $47 to create that website and it has generated an estimated $3 million marketing return? 

The sole reason behind creating that website was to get today's generation to actually read their disaster preparation website.  It started off as a joke at a meeting.  After a few failed brainstorming sessions, the potential of the idea was realized.  It is now used as a template for future ideas to communicate important messages to today's generation.

wyodmcs

Perfect! - I am now infected with the zombie virus, or at least the [zombie apocalypse preparedness metaphor meme]. 
Achoo!, as I'm looking a little gray, ataxic & chunks of skin falling off.  Little ripe, too.  Or maybe its just I'm back from a sarex or CI.

I will now attempt to spread the infection through the Wing.

Thank you, and thank you CDC.   :)

-------------------------------------------------
Any other "must haves" in your list of CAP safety topics (that aren't already well done online)?

lordmonar

Asteroids in-bound!,  That's no Moon!,  Negotiating with Thermal Detonators,  Snakes on a Plane!, It's just a wafer thin mint, OZ the survival guide!   

Garibaldi

Quote from: lordmonar on May 26, 2014, 09:24:35 PM
Asteroids in-bound!,  That's no Moon!,  Negotiating with Thermal Detonators,  Snakes on a Plane!, It's just a wafer thin mint, OZ the survival guide!

So sick of these monkey-flinging snakes on this Monday to Friday plane!
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

wyodmcs

Quote from: lordmonar on May 26, 2014, 09:24:35 PM

...  and of course, That's no Ordinary Rabbit!....    Thanks

SARDOC

The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch!

lordmonar

Quote from: SARDOC on June 29, 2014, 02:31:55 AM
Weapons Safety in the 13th Century!

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on June 29, 2014, 02:44:28 AM

The safety lesson being on how to count to three!!! >:D

lordmonar

Quote from: PHall on June 29, 2014, 03:02:25 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on June 29, 2014, 02:44:28 AM

The safety lesson being on how to count to three!!! >:D
Six is right out!
:P

LTCinSWR

Give that I live where there are actually four seasons, I like to combine a little safety with an emergency preparedness message. (Spring=tornadoes, Winter=bad driving, wind chill, etc). I suggest planning your safety brief to give a factoid (not a tome) on the appropriate subject a month in advance (February=Spring=tornados, etc)
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
Homeland Security Officer
NM Wing Headquarters

Eclipse

Quote from: LTCinSWR on February 02, 2015, 04:05:23 PM
Give that I live where there are actually four seasons, I like to combine a little safety with an emergency preparedness message. (Spring=tornadoes, Winter=bad driving, wind chill, etc). I suggest planning your safety brief to give a factoid (not a tome) on the appropriate subject a month in advance (February=Spring=tornados, etc)

In all seriousness, do you think that the audience (adults and adolescents 13+) are not aware of those issues and need "reminding"?
They aren't / haven't been hammered on this stuff from every news outlet and click-bait site looking to fill time and space?

This is one of my issues with CAP safety programs - they should be CAP-specific and related, or at least aviation and ES specific / related.
Child abductions, texting while driving, abuse of the elderly (for or against?), driving while impaired, all lanes and examples of
things seen regularly in CAP safety publications and where CAP has no related organizational experience to be speaking on the matters.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

Also, if your squadron is mostly cadets, be careful when you talk about aviation safety.

Icing while flying, where none of your cadets or senior members are pilots? Seriously?

Hangar Rash? Yes.

Sterile Cockpit? Applies to riding in vans.

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on February 02, 2015, 05:29:04 PM
Icing while flying, where none of your cadets or senior members are pilots? Seriously?

Or the use of de-icing boots in an organization which doesn't use them, in a room with 20 people
and maybe two pilots.  (B.T.D.T.)  someday Shorty and I will have a reconing.

"That Others May Zoom"

James Shaw

Also, if your squadron is mostly cadets, be careful when you talk about aviation safety.

Hangar Rash? Yes.

Several years ago during the CAP Safety Summit at the NB in Colorado, it was recommended that training be targeted to a specific audience. For example: do you need to know about winter snow driving hazards when you live in Florida?
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

JeffDG

Quote from: capmando on February 02, 2015, 07:04:50 PM

Hangar Rash? Yes.

Several years ago during the CAP Safety Summit at the NB in Colorado, it was recommended that training be targeted to a specific audience. For example: do you need to know about winter snow driving hazards when you live in Florida?
On the other hand, if you live in Minnesota and don't know how to drive in the snow in winter already, perhaps it's time for Darwin to reap his toll.

CadetSnuffy

Quote from: capmando on February 02, 2015, 07:04:50 PM
One of the reasons we never do the "hurricane preparedness" safety module at our squadron here in Kansas.
There are two types of countries, those that use the metric system, then that one that has been to the moon.

LTCinSWR

Quote from: CadetSnuffy on February 02, 2015, 07:51:31 PM
One of the reasons we never do the "hurricane preparedness" safety module at our squadron here in Kansas.

But, I do suspect that tornados definitely get mentioned, right? Teach what's pertinent.
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
Homeland Security Officer
NM Wing Headquarters