2006 NYW Encampment - Forum for Cadet Staff

Started by MajBarbBurns, March 12, 2006, 09:28:37 PM

Michael

What are the dimensions for the guidon?
What should the length of the pole be?
Bill Coons, C/Capt

dwb

You're asking this now?  Two days before you arrive?

An old bookstore (pre-CAPMart) catalog lists the guidon as 20x27 in.  There is a swallow tail in it, but I'm not sure how much you cut out for that, and if you even need to have a swallow tail.

Some quick Googling (hint hint) lists other guidons that are close in dimension to that, so it seems about right.

The pole is 8 ft. long by 1 in. thick, but we have poles, you don't have to bring your own.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: navyaviator on July 18, 2006, 10:20:41 PM
What are the dimensions for the guidon?
What should the length of the pole be?

Ah, Mike beat me to it!!  CAPR 900-2, Figure 12 (page 8 ) defines the dimensions a guidon should adhere to, including how deep to make the swallow tail.  Additional information is available in the page previous (page 7) in paragraph 5.

Good luck.  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

I was thinking, (I know... bad things happen when I do this.) CAPR 900-2 doesn't really give specifications for a flagstaff meant for a guidon... Say my squadron isn't weird and I only need one guidon for the squadron, so I decide to splurge and buy a real guidon pole with the correct chrome hardware.  What length do you buy?  Seen them available between 7' and 9'... The shorter ones would seem better suited for cadet use, but what's the USAF spec?

Real Guidon Pole Detail:

Mike Johnston

Anderson

Huh, we can't have sabers or bayonets, but our guidon poles can look like medival lances? Thats pretty good.  :clap:

mprokosch11

Quote from: Anderson on July 19, 2006, 04:52:53 PM
Huh, we can't have sabers or bayonets, but our guidon poles can look like medival lances? Thats pretty good.  :clap:

Good point!! ;D
C/Capt Matthew A. Prokosch, CAP
New York Wing
Utica Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-162)

MIKE

Quote from: penguinmaster113 on July 19, 2006, 05:14:11 PM
Quote from: Anderson on July 19, 2006, 04:52:53 PM

Good point!! ;D

:D Yeah... CAPR 900-2 actually requires the flat military spearhead on flagstaffs for ceremonial or organizational flags when carried, also it is improper to have the gold tone eagle atop the US flag when carried as is so often seen.
Mike Johnston

dwb

Well, the staff departs for encampment today.  Don't arrive before 1800, 'cause we ain't feedin' ya! (until tomorrow, of course)

See you there!

Pylon

Quote from: justin_bailey on July 20, 2006, 03:31:15 PM
Well, the staff departs for encampment today.  Don't arrive before 1800, 'cause we ain't feedin' ya! (until tomorrow, of course)

See you there!

Just curious - are you taking the CAP van from Oswego to go up?

Have fun!  :)

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

dwb

Nope.  I don't have a van permit.  Too much work to scrub the mud out.  ;)

Heather

To everyone going to NYWG Encampment...Collins and Jackson and everyone else...Good luck and let me know how it went...I'm thinking about going next year with my brother Chris.
C/TSgt. Bourne, Heather
GT3, CERT, Radio Comm. certified
399th Composite Squadron