UltraThin Ribbons

Started by MIKE, May 29, 2013, 05:27:21 PM

MIKE

How much of a pain is it to send back a set to have another ribbon/devices added to a rack?  Is it worth it?

I wore ribbons infrequently as an SM Capt, it didn't seem worth the cost... Now as an Auxie I am required to wear ribbons in Tropical Blue or Winter Dress Blue, and at our last boating safety class I had a ribbon fall off my trops... trying to get it back on the metal Unimount destroyed the ribbon.  If I did my math right it would be roughly $5 more than a traditional set to have mine professionally mounted.  The major con being needing to send them back or buy a whole new rack to add a ribbon.
Mike Johnston

Pylon

I've sent my set back to UltraThin to be updated twice now (for both new ribbons and changed/additional devices).  It's pretty economical.  The cost varies because, for example, it's easier to add a top ribbon to a set of even rows than it would be to add a ribbon right in the middle of a 30-ribbon rack (since with the latter you have to shift a lot of ribbon positions).  But you basically call them and tell them what needs to be added or changed and they'll give you an estimate on the phone.  I found it very reasonable though and got my ribbons back and looking great in probably 2 weeks or less, which I think is impressive.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

bmlusk1911

I have some of these for my Air Force ribbon rack, at 17 ribbons + frames and doodads, you've just about got to get professionally mounted ribbons.

Well worth the investment.  They look amazing, don't get the "worn edges" as easily as when I was a cadet using slide on ribbons, and I didn't have to fool with trying to get a single "Oak Leaf" aligned correctly.

Ultrathin is the way to go.

abdsp51

I have used nothing but Ultrathin for a better part of my career. 

flyboy53

I've had ultra thin ribbons on and off my Air Force and CAP careers and like the convenience. I'm not sure about adding ribbons or devices, but I can tell you that this is the better way to go -- especially when you consider that you need to keep ribbons and the devices in the proper order.

MIKE

I can haz my thread back please?
Mike Johnston

abdsp51

Sir, they do have a cost comparison aspect on the site to help determine if it is cheaper to add to the rack or just build another one. 

GroundHawg

And they do not always get the order of the ribbons correct. I don't like the look of them, but my entire USCG Auxiliary Honor Guard had planned on getting them. Ultrathin advised us that the Iraq, Kosovo, and Afghanistan Campaign Medals were not allowed to be worn on a USCG or USCG Auxiliary uniform.....  ::) Tell that to all the RAID Team guys that were attached to us in Iraq!

MIKE

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 30, 2013, 08:34:19 PM
Sir, they do have a cost comparison aspect on the site to help determine if it is cheaper to add to the rack or just build another one.

I tried that tool... If I did it correctly with the ribbon I might add at the bottom of the rack... I would not really be saving enough to warrant sending it back.  I only have 7 ribbons at the moment with a few stars attached.
Mike Johnston

abdsp51

Quote from: GroundHawg on May 31, 2013, 08:31:59 PM
And they do not always get the order of the ribbons correct. I don't like the look of them, but my entire USCG Auxiliary Honor Guard had planned on getting them. Ultrathin advised us that the Iraq, Kosovo, and Afghanistan Campaign Medals were not allowed to be worn on a USCG or USCG Auxiliary uniform.....  ::) Tell that to all the RAID Team guys that were attached to us in Iraq!

Sir, everytime I have ordered from them I have had my orders spot on each and everytime in any capacity.  The one time an order didnt process quickly was because they were unsure about my ARCOM and they called and asked about it.  Overall they are great and have good customer service.

NorCal21

My only recommendation on the thin ribbons is get the pin backs rather than the magnet. The magnet makes it so much easier to get on and off, but I've noticed it also causes my rack to move around a bit. Might just be my body type and positioning though.

abdsp51

No issues here with the magnet backings.

UH60guy

I love UltraThin- though I wouldn't recommend it for cadets or anyone who adds ribbons frequently. I always found it more trouble than it is worth to try to send back old racks for an update. I only average a ribbon a year or so, so $25 isn't that bad as an annual expense.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

PHall

Quote from: NorCal21 on June 03, 2013, 08:46:01 PM
My only recommendation on the thin ribbons is get the pin backs rather than the magnet. The magnet makes it so much easier to get on and off, but I've noticed it also causes my rack to move around a bit. Might just be my body type and positioning though.

You probably have the magnet backwards. The side with the magnets projecting is much stronger!

SarDragon

They still move around. I have some name tags, for other organizations having less rigorous placement standards, that I've modified to magnet back, and even on summer weight dress shirts, they do not stay in place.

In addition, after being used for a while, the plating will peel off the magnets, and the bare, rough magnet underneath will ultimately damage the fabric.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

abdsp51

Quote from: SarDragon on June 04, 2013, 05:08:33 AM
They still move around. I have some name tags, for other organizations having less rigorous placement standards, that I've modified to magnet back, and even on summer weight dress shirts, they do not stay in place.

In addition, after being used for a while, the plating will peel off the magnets, and the bare, rough magnet underneath will ultimately damage the fabric.

Never had that issue with ultra thin.

PHall

Quote from: abdsp51 on June 04, 2013, 04:32:09 PM

Neither have I. Maybe the Navy is harder on their uniforms then the Air Force is. :o

Garibaldi

the only issue I had with a magnetic nameplate was getting it caught in my seatbelt and...well, you get the picture. Nameplate askew.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on June 05, 2013, 12:12:42 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on June 04, 2013, 04:32:09 PM

Neither have I. Maybe the Navy is harder on their uniforms then the Air Force is. :o

This was post-Navy stuff. I got the parts on eBay, and were likely lower quality than UltraThin uses.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Duke Dillio

I've sent my ribbon rack back a couple of times and never had any issue with getting it back.  It didn't cost much (I don't remember how much but it was cheaper than just ordering another one obviously).  They look MUCH better than the standard ribbon racks.  I just the pin backs myself versus the magnets just because I don't want to have a uniform meltdown...