Main Menu

Laptop Bags

Started by jimmydeanno, February 24, 2009, 01:30:52 PM

jimmydeanno

I have been in the market for a new laptop bag for a while now.  I bought a CAP attache case about 10 years ago (the blue ones with the CAP seal screenprinted in white on the flap).  Well, the main zipper is broken, it's faded, the shoulder strap clips are busted, etc.

So, needless to say, I need a new bag.  I've been looking around for a while and haven't been able to find one that I like.  Oddly enough - I just bought one this morning.

In my mailbox was the daily blackhawk deal e-mail and their "Custom Advanced Tactical Briefcase" was on sale for $59.99 (from $135.99). 

• 500 denier nylon with waterproof lining
• 2 hook and loop patches (inside and out) and moveable vinyl ID window
• External computer access through waterproof zipper
• Hook and loop configurable, padded computer pocket
• Two external, easy access pockets for phone, PDA etc.
• Robust shoulder strap and carry handle
• Rear slot for pull handle access makes this work with all wheeled luggage

• Dims:13 "X 16" X 5"
• Cubes: 610" / 10L

I figure when it arrives, I'll take it down to the mall and have them embroider the CAP emblem on it.  I hope it is as super awesome as it seems.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

jimmydeanno

Ha! I even commented in the thread.  Show's where my memory is :)

One benefit though, I got it for half the price you did  >:D

EDIT:  The replacement for this, which has the same layout, etc. has been upgraded to 1000 denier nylon.  I'm not sure that I'd see the difference though in everyday use.  I have a feeling that the waterproof zipper and lining is going to be extremely beneficial.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Stonewall

Quote from: jimmydeanno on February 24, 2009, 01:52:41 PM
One benefit though, I got it for half the price you did  >:D

But I NEEDED IT NOW!!!!    ;)
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Heh - let's just be honest with ourselves - these are "tactical purses" and deep down we all know it.   ;D

I've been using the Code Alpha for about a year or so and really like it for the majority of use - meetings, base & CAP deployment use, etc., because it fits everything I need in one "mobile desk". 

http://tinyurl.com/cso3pw

Its not, however, a very good commuter bag since its a shoulder strap versus a backpack, and I generally switch to my trusty Targus backpack when I'm doing the regional train thing.

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

I've been using this case from Kensington for years for both work/business travel and CAP:

http://us.kensington.com/html/4656.html

Lots of storage pockets, holds a ton, and doesn't impact the shoulder.  :)

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Eclipse on February 24, 2009, 02:58:33 PM
Heh - let's just be honest with ourselves - these are "tactical purses" and deep down we all know it.   ;D

It won the masculinity test.  The wife didn't say it was 'cute.'  ;D

Looking at the link you posted, this showed up in the "also viewed" section.  Looks pretty nifty.

Maxpedition OPERATOR™ TACTICAL ATTACHÉ

es_g0d

I'm sorry, but I'm still giggling at the thought of a "Custom Advanced Tactical Briefcase" that's as custom as a mass produced item, advanced as a bookbag, tactical as a KC-135, and -- finally -- truth in advertising: Briefcase.

That said, I do feel unarmed without my laptop... best piece of mission management equipment ever invented since the pencil!  I'm curious what everyone's field tests will ultimately hail as the champion.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

davedove

Quote from: es_g0d on February 25, 2009, 03:27:34 AM
I'm sorry, but I'm still giggling at the thought of a "Custom Advanced Tactical Briefcase" that's as custom as a mass produced item, advanced as a bookbag, tactical as a KC-135, and -- finally -- truth in advertising: Briefcase.

It's for the Special Forces Accountants.  These folks parachute behind enemy lines and mess up their books. ;D
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

jimmydeanno

Anyone that giggles is required to order their bag from here: http://www.coolcomputerbags.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=23   >:D

NIN

I snagged an Oakley AP Sandbag last year. One of our squadron commanders has one of these in the grey color, and I totally fell in love with the hardware.

Retail was $110, Ebay was in the $90s.  Ugh. Too rich for my blood.

Mustang from CadetStuff snagged one at the Oakley store in Camarillo, CA for $55 (w/tax & shipping it was still only $75) and sent it to me.

What you don't see is the parachute-grade hardware (the little riser rings are just a mini pre-cursor to the full-blown B-12 quick ejector hardware found on the strap.)

Its pretty rugged, takes MOLLE/PALS pouches and is reconfigurable.  My 15" Dell Precision M4300 does NOT fit well in here, but my older Fujitsu Lifebook tablet did.    I still use it for the 4300, but its a real chore to put the laptop in the padded sleeve as its technically too big.

EDIT: Meant to mention that the top of the strap zips/snaps off, and you can remove the B-12 quick-ejector from the strap and pull this sort of yoke assembly out of the back pouch with another B-12 permenantly attached to it, snap the first B-12 onto this yoke thing, and then the whole kit and kaboodle snaps onto a vest  that Oakley sold (that goes for $200 on Ebay right now) like this:

For some of the more gear-queerish among us, it might be just the kind of "urban campus tactical chic" you're looking for.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Gunner C

es_g0d

Don't joke about special forces accountants!

Jimmy X was an Air Force Finance officer assigned to AFRCC.  (!)  I met him at an AFRCC Search Management course in 1999 or so.  I ran into him again where he was a classmate of mine in SOS. 

His assignment?  To Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC).  He was a self-described special forces bean counter!

Truth is stranger than fiction.  I'm doubting any parachute jumping activity on his part tho...  ;) 
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

SJFedor

Quote from: NIN on February 25, 2009, 06:39:28 PM
EDIT: Meant to mention that the top of the strap zips/snaps off, and you can remove the B-12 quick-ejector from the strap and pull this sort of yoke assembly out of the back pouch with another B-12 permenantly attached to it, snap the first B-12 onto this yoke thing, and then the whole kit and kaboodle snaps onto a vest  that Oakley sold (that goes for $200 on Ebay right now) like this:

For some of the more gear-queerish among us, it might be just the kind of "urban campus tactical chic" you're looking for.

If she comes with it, I'll buy it.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

NIN

Quote from: es_g0d on February 26, 2009, 06:35:00 AM
Don't joke about special forces accountants!

Jimmy X was an Air Force Finance officer assigned to AFRCC.  (!)  I met him at an AFRCC Search Management course in 1999 or so.  I ran into him again where he was a classmate of mine in SOS. 

His assignment?  To Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC).  He was a self-described special forces bean counter!

Truth is stranger than fiction.  I'm doubting any parachute jumping activity on his part tho...  ;) 

Are all AFSOC guys named "Jimmy X" or "Mark X"?  I need a new flight suit nametag.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

LtCol057

SJFedor, if you can afford her, TNWg must be paying better than NCWg. I can't even afford to look at her. Had to cover my screen.  :angel: ???

es_g0d

I just can't remember Jimmy's last name.  :(  Jimmy X sounded cooler than Jimmy whats-his-name.
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

afgeo4

Quote from: Eclipse on February 24, 2009, 02:58:33 PM

I've been using the Code Alpha for about a year or so and really like it for the majority of use - meetings, base & CAP deployment use, etc., because it fits everything I need in one "mobile desk". 

http://tinyurl.com/cso3pw

Its not, however, a very good commuter bag since its a shoulder strap versus a backpack, and I generally switch to my trusty Targus backpack when I'm doing the regional train thing.
I have a Code Alpha ABU 3-day assault pack and it's holding up pretty well after 7 months of regular use. I'm considering purchasing the laptop case you're showing in the ABU pattern now too.
GEORGE LURYE

jimmydeanno

Just got my bag.  I LIKE IT!

In the compartment with the waterproof zipper that is meant for the laptop I was able to fit my Dell Latitude D620 in without difficulty (13.3" x 11.3" x 1.3") (11.3 because I've the 9 cell lithium battery).

Although it is larger than my existing bag, it doesn't feel awkward.  The handle is easy to hold and you don't need to open the flap to access your laptop.

The stiching is nice and there are more compartments and dividers than I currently know what to do with.

Of course I opened it and my wife says, "What third world country are you going to take over with that?"  ;D

Eclipse

Uber-bump.

I need something else - I still have the Alpha above, even "upgraded" it for my Instand, but it just doesn't fit my needs - I'm carrying
a D630 and my next machine is likely to be a tablet (not an iPad), so its wider than I need, and the molle packs on the outside tend to
get hung up on stuff.  I also have an aged Targus notebook backpack that has stood up well but doesn't fit the need, either, and I am constantly dumping one bag into the other.

Being a full-on mobile office-type, I carry a lot of "stuff" including a Clearspot, a bunch of cables, notebooks, power supplies, and of course the portable desk, so I need something with pockets.

What I'm looking for is something in the Tactical family but that has the stow-away backback straps or similar so I don't have to swap out
all the time.  I'd also like it to be able to stand on its own similar to the Alpha.  Black or other subtle colors are important so I can go from CAP to the conference room without too many looks.

The Oakley above looks interesting, but is that messenger strap standard?  It doesn't seem to be.  How comfortable is it to go sling-back
with a fair amount of weight on a typical "commuter" walk.

Anything new out there?  I've trolled a lot of the typical sites, but you guys tend to dig up things out of the corners.  Oakley's site does not appear to carry the one above anymore.

"That Others May Zoom"

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: Eclipse on March 16, 2010, 03:47:50 AM
Uber-bump.

I need something else ...

http://www.brightlinebags.com/  Bought one for a friend for his birthday and then had to get one for myself.  One of our wing check pilots had one at the last SAREX and we spend most of the morning comparing where we hid the goodies in the bag.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Dracosbane

That Oakley bag and vest combo reminds me of the tac vest and attachments that I see used on Stargate Atlantis.  Y'know, the ones where they have the tablet computer in a case that velcroes to the back of the vest and stays attached during a firefight.  Or the tac vest with the three day pack that attaches with those squeeze clip things and not with shoulder straps.

Of course I also want one of those comm earpieces that you can just activate by tapping the thing.  And an F302.

Eclipse

The one NIN spoke of is disco'ed, so I shopped around and found the 2.0 version (also disco'ed), which is either going to be
perfect or not big enough.  I forgot about the InStand.

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Oakley-AP-Sandbag-20-Computer-Bag/OAK1373M.html

Its a 3-way option on the strap, handle, sling back, or unzip the sling and becomes a backpack.  On paper it meets the spec, so it will be either a cup of awesome or the worst idea ever.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Eclipse,

The 2.0 version, IMHO (without the opportunity to FB it a little) looks ... weird.

I have the 1.0 version, and I still love it 2 years on even though it doesn't fit my M4300 all that well (widescreen..)  The "sling" process has totally become 2nd nature, and it fits "closely" to my back when in that mode, such that I feel a lot better about schlepping things around across, say, an airport, etc, than I did with a backpack.  (although when I go to KY next month, I'm probably gonna schlep my laptop in my Camelbak BFM, since its Sage Green and thus is the appropriate color when traveling in uniform..)

Here are some pics I just snapped

Mine was disco'd, too, but Mustang found it in an Oakley Outlet store in Camarillo, CA.

Like I said, the 2.0 to me just looks weird.  maybe its awesome, maybe its not.

EDIT: And yes, that's an orange "Light My Fire" spork in my admin pouch. Its right next to my passport.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

Looks like yours has definitely BTDT - I'll know in  a few days as the 2.0 shipped today.

I found some reviews that said the sling mode was the least favorite on the 2.0 because of some issue with the attachment point,
so time will tell.

Anything smaller that can fit my "stuff" and be a backpack in a pinch is an improvement.

That Spork would go nicely with the Sierra XM collapsable mug I just got for my caffeine hype travel coffee kit,

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

I scooted the two main pouches "outboard" to make room for my el-cheaop admin pouch (pens, screwdrivers, passport, spork.. guy's gotta travel prepared), but everything else is stock.

I need to clean it out. I wind up with a ton of junk flying around in there (extra USB cables, etc) that I don't necessarily need, but still wind up jammed in there.

(A quick inventory: Computer, power brick, miniUSB cable x 2, split USB cable for hard disk, microUSB cable, card reader, snap case with flash/SD cards, zipper case with memory sticks, gum, USB wireless projector remote, external hard disk, pens, highlighters, Moleskine notebook, spork, passport, mini-screwdriver, gum, business card holders, Afghanistan IED language translator,  USB 2.0 hub, office keys, more memory sticks... Yeah, too much junk..)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

Nothing more frustrating than a UPS tracker that is "in transit"...

"That Others May Zoom"

Strick

I just bougha large bailout bag from LAPOLICE GEAR, FOR ABOUT 36.00, very tactical and doubles as my mission flight bag.  Good quality and LA POLICE GEAR has some awsome deals........
[darn]atio memoriae

Eclipse

Quote from: Eclipse on March 17, 2010, 01:36:55 PM

UPS says its in the truck for delivery...

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on March 22, 2010, 05:21:59 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 17, 2010, 01:36:55 PM
UPS says its in the truck for delivery...

Oh, I _hate_ that...

I sent my digital altimeter back to the manufacturer about 2 weeks ago. They're in _Denmark_.  Tracking that package as it got to the overseas facility in Jersey, then went to Denmark, cleared customs, went out for delivery, etc, was _maddening_. 

I hope when they send it back it just shows up in my mailbox unannounced.  Far less anticipation!

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

Nothing like a visit from the UPS lady!

First impression?  Perfect.

Everything I had in the old bag fits fine and the Sandbag is much more compact. 100% my new "Tactical Purse",
and I will be recommending it to anyone who will listen despite it being discontinued.  I wanted something
rugged, but that would not look too out of place in a meeting room setting.  If color is not an issue, I found
sources that had the same bag in a silver-camo pattern for about $30 less than the $80(ish) I paid for this one.

First a comparison of the two:

The main problem with the old one was that while it was bigger, it wasn't bigger in a useful way.
It would probably fit a 17" desktop replacement machine, but I don't need that, and the larger pouches
just wind up making it harder to pass through doors, etc. This and not having a backpack capability
were the issue.
On a very rare occasion I hooked a Blackhawk tube-style stuff bag with clothes off the back, which was handy but made it
even harder to carry, and I never did find anything to hook on those front top loops.

This is everything going in, and exactly what was in the old one:

Dell D630 Notebook and power supply.
InStand with shelf
Clearspot mobile access point with accessories & power supply
Notebook presenter mouse in case
Caffeine Hype kit including a  Sea To Summit X-Mug collapsible mug and Spork (thanks NIN!)
Targus wireless presenter (new version)
LED flashlight
Leatherman PST in concealment holster
Travel and car power adapters for USB & cables
Ethernet cable
Various Mapping tools
Fisher Bullet-style Space Pen
Business card holders (2)
Mini first aid kit
Mini stapler & staples
Chunk of CAP keys
USB flash key
Page flags
Mints

This is the new one fully packed.  A place for everything and everything in its place. Exactly what I was looking for.

The bag comes with three strap options - handle, messenger strap, and backpack - no more swapping bags for the
train or plane, and has optional hooks for a shoulder strap - considering the number of "Tactical Purses" I have in the
basement, I may throw a shoulder strap in the bag as well - there is a zipped pouch on the bag to hold the straps
when not being used.
Check here for pics of the messenger and backpack strap modes:  http://www.ebags.com/oakley/ap_sandbag_2_0/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=116924

My two whines - the side left/right pockets are not quite big enough for the Dell power brick, so they don't close as securely
as the old bag.  Decision time on a bigger pocket or a smaller power supply.  There also is no hook inside for that chunk of keys -
that's fairly easily remedied.  The stand fits very nicely in the bottom of the main stuff pocket, like it was made for it.

There's been some gnashing of teeth in various review sites about the bag unhooking when used in messenger mode
and falling off the shoulders.  I won't know if that is a design issue or user error until I have tried it for a while, but
to be safe I might change the attachments from the included sliders to some positive hooks.

All in all, big win and glad I asked the question again here...

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

It looks like a great bag with plenty of space.  Just to satisfy my own curiosity, what is it weighing in at?  Any more stuff in there and I might consider finding a spot to store the dolly...  ;D

Dracosbane

Eclipse, where'd you get that mug?

Eclipse

I got them locally from an REI, however here's one of several sources:
http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Sea-To-Summit-X-Mug-Collapsible-Mug/STS0070M.html
(Backcountry was where I got the Sandbag from as well).

Mine is blue, they work great and are very stable.

"That Others May Zoom"

Dracosbane

Surprisingly, after a little google-fu, I happened to find that exact page before you linked it.  I was holding on to it as a "this looks cool if it's not what he's got" link.

Thanks!  I'll add it to my want list.

tdepp

I love the fancy schmancy bags I've seen here.  I even have a $90 digital camo tactical computer bag with an nice inner liner for the laptop.

But what do I actually use on missions?  The $15 CAP padded backpack sold by that evil company, Vanguard.  Inexpensive, well made, padded, nice pockets, can carry on my back or like a briefcase.   Oh, and did I mention it is currently $15 and looks good?  (Ok, $23 with shipping.)

http://www.vanguardmil.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_1973&products_id=13603

Used it Sunday as a MS.  Sits nicely on the back right seat or stows easily in the wayback of the 172 or 182.  Would I take it through the mud and water and thorns of a jungle?  No.  But for reasonable use by reasonable people in reasonable conditions, it works great and doesn't break the bank.  If I expect water, I'll put my stuff in sealable plastic bags I can get at Walmart or Hyvee for $5 for 12 or so. 

Sure, go ahead and laugh.  But it works and it looks good and I can buy four or five or six of these for the cost of one of the Terminator bags here.  Not that I wouldn't gladly like one as an Xmas or birthday present.  ;)
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

MSgt Van

Anybody tried the SI computer bag from Oakley Government Sales?
https://secure.usstandardissue.com/Product_Detail.cfm?id=160

NIN

Quote from: MSgt Van on March 23, 2010, 01:32:44 PM

If I don't miss my guess, thats the bag that Eclipse was trading away from..

EDIT: Nevermind me. Its similar, but not the same bag. The Oakley bag, like my Sandbag v1.0, has parachute-style hardware, whereas the one that Eclipse had was equipped mostly with Fastex buckles and such.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Pumbaa

I am a bag whore.. I buy a bag and then find a use...  I love this one!

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/FATBOY-VERSIPACK-4p31.htm

I like that I can pack my 45 in it...

MSgt Van

I can hear it now:

Cadet "Sir, I can't get this ELT to shut off"
Pumbaa "Stand back..."
  ;D

Eclipse

Maxpedition makes great stuff - I have a leg bag from them that has been through it and back...

"That Others May Zoom"

Pumbaa

Quote from: MSgt Van on March 23, 2010, 09:39:33 PM
I can hear it now:

Cadet "Sir, I can't get this ELT to shut off"
Pumbaa "Stand back..."
  ;D

OK.. now THAT made me really laugh out loud...  You got me pegged for sure!

Mustang

Quote from: MSgt Van on March 23, 2010, 01:32:44 PM
The SI computer bag is a BIG bag. Too big, if you don't pack a 17" widescreen laptop around.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Eclipse

Quote from: Eclipse on March 22, 2010, 11:12:07 PM
Nothing like a visit from the UPS lady!

First impression?  Perfect.

Everything I had in the old bag fits fine and the Sandbag is much more compact. 100% my new "Tactical Purse",
and I will be recommending it to anyone who will listen despite it being discontinued.  I wanted something
rugged, but that would not look too out of place in a meeting room setting.  If color is not an issue, I found
sources that had the same bag in a silver-camo pattern for about $30 less than the $80(ish) I paid for this one.

First a comparison of the two:

The main problem with the old one was that while it was bigger, it wasn't bigger in a useful way.
It would probably fit a 17" desktop replacement machine, but I don't need that, and the larger pouches
just wind up making it harder to pass through doors, etc. This and not having a backpack capability
were the issue.
On a very rare occasion I hooked a Blackhawk tube-style stuff bag with clothes off the back, which was handy but made it
even harder to carry, and I never did find anything to hook on those front top loops.

This is everything going in, and exactly what was in the old one:

Dell D630 Notebook and power supply.
InStand with shelf
Clearspot mobile access point with accessories & power supply
Notebook presenter mouse in case
Caffeine Hype kit including a  Sea To Summit X-Mug collapsible mug and Spork (thanks NIN!)
Targus wireless presenter (new version)
LED flashlight
Leatherman PST in concealment holster
Travel and car power adapters for USB & cables
Ethernet cable
Various Mapping tools
Fisher Bullet-style Space Pen
Business card holders (2)
Mini first aid kit
Mini stapler & staples
Chunk of CAP keys
USB flash key
Page flags
Mints

This is the new one fully packed.  A place for everything and everything in its place. Exactly what I was looking for.

The bag comes with three strap options - handle, messenger strap, and backpack - no more swapping bags for the
train or plane, and has optional hooks for a shoulder strap - considering the number of "Tactical Purses" I have in the
basement, I may throw a shoulder strap in the bag as well - there is a zipped pouch on the bag to hold the straps
when not being used.
Check here for pics of the messenger and backpack strap modes:  http://www.ebags.com/oakley/ap_sandbag_2_0/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=116924

My two whines - the side left/right pockets are not quite big enough for the Dell power brick, so they don't close as securely
as the old bag.  Decision time on a bigger pocket or a smaller power supply.  There also is no hook inside for that chunk of keys -
that's fairly easily remedied.  The stand fits very nicely in the bottom of the main stuff pocket, like it was made for it.

There's been some gnashing of teeth in various review sites about the bag unhooking when used in messenger mode
and falling off the shoulders.  I won't know if that is a design issue or user error until I have tried it for a while, but
to be safe I might change the attachments from the included sliders to some positive hooks.

All in all, big win and glad I asked the question again here...

OK - Necrothread, I know.

After prolonged use, not so perfect.  The bag itself it awesome - sturdy, compact, fits great under an airline seat, etc.

However, as whined on various sites, the slide for the backpack option comes off far too easily - not fun.  I've actually had to go back to
my faithful, ragged, Targus backpack.

I've become an almost Clooney-esque business traveler, having many times to drag these:

through airports and convention centers, so being hands-free and confident I'm not going
to drop my notebook(s), etc. is important.

I almost lost the thing one time in DC, it came loose after some wriggling around, but I was able to
catch it and bring it down to a soft landing.

Any idea how I can retro-fit the straps to hold more securely?  It has to be some thing that maintains
the unobtrusive convertibility, which was the main selling feature to me on this bag.

I'm pretty good with a grommet tool and a sewing machine, but don't want to destroy the thing.
NIN, can you post a photo of how yours attaches?

Otherwise this one is going to wind up on eBay and the hunt will be back on.

Also, if anyone has found anything new or tasty in a notebook bag, I'm looking.  Maxpedition
has some nice stuff, but I really want something in a sling or a convertible.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on October 09, 2010, 06:02:33 PM
I'm pretty good with a grommet tool and a sewing machine, but don't want to destroy the thing.
NIN, can you post a photo of how yours attaches?

Well, mine is v1.0 of that bag, and its *totally* different.  I can't post pics at the moment, but give me a little bit and and I will. Suffice, to say, the lower part of the sling is firmly attached within the lower part of the bag (within a little zippered compartment, even), while the upper part (the part that attaches to the bag near the handle) zippers and velcros on, and has this nifty-shifty B-12 ejector clip (with some velcro) to hold the whole thing together in the middle.   The upper sling comes off, and you can pull out sort of a "yoke" arrangement from a zippered compartment under where it attaches, unsnap the one B-12, attach it to the yoke (where it has a corresponding one) and the whole thing clips to some goofball Oakley vest.

How is yours slipping?  Do you need different/better tri-glides?  maybe some bartacking on the strapping?

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

After looking at yours in various configurations on the web, it is obvious they are vastly different animals.

I want that bag and the AP vest to go with it!

I actually found one on eBay that is being sold locally, just have to decide if I want to plunk down more $$$ on another Tac Purse.  The fact that my next couple of trips require that I carry two notebooks (a Dell and a MAC) isn't helping since I bet they wouldn't both fit anyway.

Quote from: NIN on October 10, 2010, 12:18:29 AMHow is yours slipping?  Do you need different/better tri-glides?  maybe some bartacking on the strapping?

The issue is the way the straps connect, which is a pretty cheesy slider that has an almost non-existent stop at each end.  It's fine for a casual walk or standing in a line at TSA, but start rocking the weight around and it pops off.  I can't tell if it is sliding off the end or just pulling directly off the slider.  I was hoping to change the clips to something more akin to what yours has on the strap ends and some grommets, etc., on the bag, but most of what I have come up with would either wreck the bag or look like poop.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Hmmm. Weird.  Here, visit http://tinyurl.com/3xwquxm  (thats a link to a gallery in my Picasa) that shows how the sling comes apart on my bag and you pull the yoke out so you can attach the B-12 clips to go on the vest.

Honestly?  I think that vest is goofy as hell and I wouldn't get caught dead wearing it. YMMV. :)

gotta tell you: That bag is pretty darn versatile.  I've had zero problem in sling mode. never need backpack mode.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP