Scanners (not the flying type)

Started by Stonewall, December 22, 2008, 03:00:43 AM

Stonewall

Does anyone use scanners anymore?

I had one as a cadet from Radio Shack because I couldn't afford a VHF radio for CAP and I would monitor for that mission I didn't get called out on...and it worked.

Any thoughts?  Anyone use these things anymore?
Serving since 1987.

JoeTomasone

I do; but not terribly often.   It is in my 24h kit in case I need to monitor another agency for whatever reason.

Also comes in handy to monitor traffic at air shows.

Stonewall

Yeah, I have a lot to listen to so I was thinking about getting one that I can monitor at work.  I've got 2 freqs at work, plus the county sheriff, fire/rescue and of course, CAP.

And like you said, having freqs for other agencies can be a nice asset when working in a mutual aid environment.  I found a few on ebay that don't look too bad.
Serving since 1987.

♠SARKID♠

All the time.  Really helps when you want to monitor two frequencies; one on the HT and one on the scanner.  Also is a MAJOR help at EAA, you can hear how many aircraft you have inbound, where they're going to park, and maybe even catch their N-number before they land.  My scanner is also how I found out about amateur radio, which led to the foundation of my CAP-comm knowledge and experience.  Without my scanner, I wouldn't be the comm geek I am today!

I use a Radio Shack pro-95.  It does very well, but is really hard to learn to use.  Once you figure it out tho, its a sinch and is great.

For a while I have been considering getting an Icom IC-R3 or an R-75.

Rob Sherlin

I don't use one, but, there are plenty of people here in Niagara Falls who do. Mainly, people who shouldn't have them. The police often have a hard time catching people because someone they know who has a scanner calls them and warns them that the "Po Po" is on their way to get them.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

JoeTomasone

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on December 22, 2008, 03:16:22 AM
My scanner is also how I found out about amateur radio, which led to the foundation of my CAP-comm knowledge and experience.  Without my scanner, I wouldn't be the comm geek I am today!

Ditto.   I have a Uniden BC-96T, pretty nice unit.

Also have an AOR 8000 and my original Radio Shack PRO-34.  :D

N Harmon

I have one in my POV. It stays pretty quiet because it only scans through CAP freqs. I also use it to access weather and marine broadcasts. Recently I added 121.5mhz to my scan list. I'm not really sure why yet; just felt like a good idea with SARSAT/COSPAS going away in a month and half. Although, I'm not precisely sure what to do if I'm driving down the road and I hear an ELT going off.  :-\

It's a fairly old scanner. I think I was 12 or 13 when I got it. It already can't receive all CAP freqs, and who knows what it won't be able to receive when we transition to our new freqs. I've considered getting a new one, but am waiting to see if we're even going to have access to our own frequencies first.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Stonewall

Quote from: N Harmon on December 22, 2008, 03:49:19 AM
I have one in my POV. It stays pretty quiet because it only scans through CAP freqs. I also use it to access weather and marine broadcasts. Recently I added 121.5mhz to my scan list. I'm not really sure why yet; just felt like a good idea with SARSAT/COSPAS going away in a month and half. Although, I'm not precisely sure what to do if I'm driving down the road and I hear an ELT going off.  :-\

In the mid-90s my squadron was booming with both cadets and seniors.  I suggested that people start acquiring radios for use in CAP because we were limited.  Surprising enough, almost 20 cadets had radios and about 30 seniors followed suit.

When teach ROP ROA classes, I always told them to program 121.5 into their radios and monitor it every single time they enter onto the base where our squadron was located.  In 15 years in DCWG, I personally found 3 ELTs from simply doing as I taught.  Still to this day I have 121.5 on my radios and I monitor it every time I enter onto the local Navy base where 80% of our ELTs are found and when I drive near our local municipal airport, where my squadron meets.
Serving since 1987.

NJMEDIC

I have a Pro-96 use it at work and for DF on the Airport. Nice unit Scans all the trunked set ups and covers the two DF Freq. It's legal for me to have it in my car because I also volunteer as a Fire Police Officer for all kinds of Traffic Control.
Mark J. Burckley,NJ EMT-P
Major  CAP
Member NJ EMS Task Force

Eclipse

I have an old Pro-35 in the truck with a through-glass antenna, but only use it for DF'ing.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Just doing a little bit of research it seems there are lots of scanners out there.  ebay has quite a few but I'm not exactly sure what is good and what isn't.

I went to Uniden's website and I like the remote "face" thing.  Where the scanner is in the back of your vehicle but you have a smaller piece up front where you can manage the features without taking up a lot of space.

I'll surf ebay tomorrow at work and maybe hit up Radio Shack.
Serving since 1987.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Stonewall on December 22, 2008, 04:18:20 AM
Just doing a little bit of research it seems there are lots of scanners out there.  ebay has quite a few but I'm not exactly sure what is good and what isn't.

I went to Uniden's website and I like the remote "face" thing.  Where the scanner is in the back of your vehicle but you have a smaller piece up front where you can manage the features without taking up a lot of space.

I'll surf ebay tomorrow at work and maybe hit up Radio Shack.

Icom has similar setups if you want something a little fancier.  Its called a "remote head".

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: N Harmon on December 22, 2008, 03:49:19 AM

You get the telephone number(s) of the local ATC(S) and you call them. They report it to the FAA, the FAA alerts AFRCC, AFRCC alerts CAP. The same thing a pilot would do if they were flying around and heard one going off, only they would do it over the radio. Talk about making things really complicated, we have to alert AFRCC(indirectly) so they can alert us  ::)
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

Major Lord

Quote from: NJMEDIC on December 22, 2008, 04:03:43 AM
I have a Pro-96 use it at work and for DF on the Airport. Nice unit Scans all the trunked set ups and covers the two DF Freq. It's legal for me to have it in my car because I also volunteer as a Fire Police Officer for all kinds of Traffic Control.

Mark,

You may have to explain to many CAP members that mobile scanners are illegal in a few eastern states. ( I am not aware of any western states or centrl states, but there might be some) Banning radio receivers.....right out of the old Hitler handbook isn't it? Are CAP members exempt while on missions in your State?

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

N Harmon

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on December 22, 2008, 05:28:17 AMYou get the telephone number(s) of the local ATC(S) and you call them. They report it to the FAA, the FAA alerts AFRCC, AFRCC alerts CAP. The same thing a pilot would do if they were flying around and heard one going off, only they would do it over the radio. Talk about making things really complicated, we have to alert AFRCC(indirectly) so they can alert us  ::)

Thanks!

Quote from: Major Lord on December 22, 2008, 02:04:02 PMYou may have to explain to many CAP members that mobile scanners are illegal in a few eastern states. ( I am not aware of any western states or centrl states, but there might be some) Banning radio receivers.....right out of the old Hitler handbook isn't it? Are CAP members exempt while on missions in your State?

In my state, Michigan, it is only illegal to have a scanner in your vehicle unless you are a ham radio operator, or have a permit from the state police. I happen to have both. The permit is fairly easy to get as long as you have a reason. CAP was good enough of a reason for mine.

I've never heard of a scanner being illegal except for in a vehicle, or receiving cordless/cellular phone signals. Which states do that?
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

JoeTomasone

Quote from: N Harmon on December 22, 2008, 02:43:12 PM
Quote from: Major Lord on December 22, 2008, 02:04:02 PMYou may have to explain to many CAP members that mobile scanners are illegal in a few eastern states. ( I am not aware of any western states or centrl states, but there might be some) Banning radio receivers.....right out of the old Hitler handbook isn't it? Are CAP members exempt while on missions in your State?

In my state, Michigan, it is only illegal to have a scanner in your vehicle unless you are a ham radio operator, or have a permit from the state police. I happen to have both. The permit is fairly easy to get as long as you have a reason. CAP was good enough of a reason for mine.

I've never heard of a scanner being illegal except for in a vehicle, or receiving cordless/cellular phone signals. Which states do that?

The concept is to prevent:

1. Criminals from knowing when the police are being dispatched to the location of their crime

2.  "Buffs" from following emergency personnel around

(At least, these are the rationales I've found).

NY has this law (Section 397 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law, if memory serves).   Florida as well (Florida Statue 843.16), which also has the two draconian provisions prohibiting transportation in a vehicle (what, you have to walk home from Radio Shack?) and installation in a business (?!).

Both exclude hams.   :)

RADIOMAN015

Actually, I think it is an outsiding idea, because if you look at the Concepts in CAPR 100-3, there is specific mention on one way broadcasts.  At this point in CAP, with the cost of compliant two way radios, & limited squadron radios, this offers the best opportunity for a potential paging system, in case ofl wire or wireless telephon communications problems.  You could still communicate with members at least one way as to recall/assembly.

Personally, at work I can run my scanner, so I have all the CAP radio frequencies programmed into the scanner.  I have a CAP radio mobile unit out in the car.  SO if I heard any aircraft calling with no response I would be able to get into the vehicle & respond.

I have a lot of radio scanners (portable, mobile/base), and in the future with at least our ES Officer, I'm going to run some coverage experiments both repeater wise & simplex to determine what the effective range will be from the squadron radio station.

Another aspect of radio scanner monitoring & listening is that it trains people how to listen & interpret what they hear.  We also have a donated scanner at the squadron in the radio section, & I encourage everyone to at least spend some time listening to aero band comms (I have all local tower/ground, approach/departure control, ARTCC, military command posts, ATIS programmed into the scanner) as well as selected local mutual aid frequencies & Park Ranger frequencies).

It is a very good idea.  For the most part you don't need a radio scanner with all the bells & whistles (e.g. trunking, P25 digital, etc) capabilities.  A less expensive portable scanner will work fine for both CAP & aero band frequencies.
RM   

Quote from: Stonewall on December 22, 2008, 03:00:43 AM
Does anyone use scanners anymore?

I had one as a cadet from Radio Shack because I couldn't afford a VHF radio for CAP and I would monitor for that mission I didn't get called out on...and it worked.

Any thoughts?  Anyone use these things anymore?

RADIOMAN015

Oh, also would like to add:

Radio scanner's give you "situational awareness" capability that you would not normally have.

1.  Are there any police, fire, or other emergencies, that may affect you in your area, whether it be at a fixed location or while traveling.

2.  If you have one dedicated strictly to airband monitoring, it may give you advance warning that a potential DF mission is at hand, because you will hear aircraft calling approach/departure control, and/or ARTCC, advising that they are picking up an ELT signal.

3.  Again with a scanner strictly dedicated to airband monitoring, it might be possible to pickup an errant ELT signal even before you are notified while just driving your vehicle in your normal course of the day.  (I'm going to have to experiment a bit more with this concept of just the portable scanner in the car with no outside antenna to see how well it works in a scan mode, with squelch engaged in hearing a signal).

RM

IceNine

I have one in my bag that I use to listen to the weather primarily.

I also have a standard set of programming 121.5, 121.775, CAP A/C comms, the local Airport approach and departure, unicom, and anything else I deem necessary.  Works out really well to maintain situational awareness.

Also works really well when teams turn on the practice beacon to check their equipment but don't remember to turn it back off when they leave   ;)
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Major Lord on December 22, 2008, 02:04:02 PM
You may have to explain to many CAP members that mobile scanners are illegal in a few eastern states. ( I am not aware of any western states or centrl states, but there might be some) Banning radio receivers.....right out of the old Hitler handbook isn't it? Are CAP members exempt while on missions in your State?

Some states only make it illegal to possess one if you're committing a crime.

I've got all of my local HAM repeaters, fire, common airports I visit, FRS/GMRS, local news choppers, Blue Angels (I was going to go to a show), and a clone of all the frequencies in my radio (CAP, Coasties, and all the MOU organizations).

Slim

Quote from: N Harmon on December 22, 2008, 02:43:12 PMIn my state, Michigan, it is only illegal to have a scanner in your vehicle unless you are a ham radio operator, or have a permit from the state police. I happen to have both. The permit is fairly easy to get as long as you have a reason. CAP was good enough of a reason for mine.

Actually, that changed two years ago.  According to Michigan law, it's not illegal to have a scanner in your vehicle unless you are committing a crime.

Having said that, the change in the law hasn't trickled down to the streets yet.  I had a rather unpleasant discussion with an officer about it recently.  He didn't care a whit that the law changed, he just wanted to see my permit.  If someone in Michigan has a scanner but no permit, I'd suggest printing a copy of the law and keeping it in your vehicle.

UK, what exactly are you looking for in a scanner?  If you got the bucks (and the patience to figure them out), go whole hog and get one of the APCO P-25 capable scanners.  If P-25 isn't big in your area yet, just give it time and it will be. 

Best site for anything to do with scanners is Radio Reference

Slim

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Slim on December 23, 2008, 06:34:45 AM
Having said that, the change in the law hasn't trickled down to the streets yet.  I had a rather unpleasant discussion with an officer about it recently.  He didn't care a whit that the law changed, he just wanted to see my permit.  If someone in Michigan has a scanner but no permit, I'd suggest printing a copy of the law and keeping it in your vehicle.

Quite frankly, many police officers aren't aware of the exceptions to the law either.  I can understand this as they likely do not find themselves in a position to be intimately familiar with them during the normal course of a law enforcement career.   In fact, a family friend once called me from a traffic stop to ask what the law was.   So if you DO run into a situation where you legally have a scanner/ham radio/etc in your car and a police officer is unaware that you are permitted DO NOT GET NASTY OR DEFENSIVE.   Politely point out that there is an exception to that law that your circumstance falls under and offer to show documentation (if applicable).   If that doesn't work, then comply with the officer even if that means confiscation of your equipment or your arrest.   You will have an opportunity to plead your case in court.    However, if you are polite, respectful, and carry yourself well (and as a CAP member, that is of course what you'll do!), then it should never get that far.    However, there have been numerous cases where ham radio operators got uppity about their "rights" and started yelling, etc and it has all gone downhill from there - and who wants to pay lawyers fees?

Stonewall

Quote from: Slim on December 23, 2008, 06:34:45 AMUK, what exactly are you looking for in a scanner?  If you got the bucks (and the patience to figure them out), go whole hog and get one of the APCO P-25 capable scanners.  If P-25 isn't big in your area yet, just give it time and it will be. 

I have no idea.  I really want two.  One for my Exploder Explorer and a handheld that I can carry around (into my office, house, or wherever).

I figure the most I'll need is about 20 to 30 channels so I can't imagine I need something too terribly complex.  Ebay was looking good though.  I just have a hard time trusting people there.
Serving since 1987.

Slim

I wasn't the one getting unpleasant, I know the law and knew that I was covered either way.  It was the cop who just couldn't understand why a firefighter/EMT would want to have a scanner in his truck, and that it was in fact legal for me to do so.  In fact, he was more concerned with the darn scanner than he was with the fact that I had a weapon (also legally, and informed him right away, per the law).  The prosecutor set him straight when I went in to plead the speeding ticket down to impeding traffic (about both the law and writing tickets to teammates).

Quote from: Stonewall on December 23, 2008, 07:42:29 PMI have no idea.  I really want two.  One for my Exploder Explorer and a handheld that I can carry around (into my office, house, or wherever).

I figure the most I'll need is about 20 to 30 channels so I can't imagine I need something too terribly complex.  Ebay was looking good though.  I just have a hard time trusting people there.

Ok, just did a quick check of the JAX area on RadioReference.  The city has an 800 MHz trunking system, and everything else is VHF/UHF.  As long as nobody is planning a migration to APCO P-25/digital, you're in luck.

Radio Shack has the PRO-163 mobile/base and PRO-162 handheld on sale right now ($149.95 and $99.95 respectively), until Christmas day.  But they put these on sale often, so check the website in a month or so and they'll be on sale again.  Both of these will cover everything in your area, and will track the 800 MHz trunked system.  I'd stay away from ebay when it comes to scanners.  Better to go new and have the warranty, instructions, etc.  If you don't need/want the 800MHz stuff, you can get something cheaper than that.

Slim

Trung Si Ma

I've got one in my T-Hangar on the local ground and tower freqs so I can listen to the new AF pilots having fun(?) on the ILS as well as maintaining SA.  I switch it manually over to the ATIS before opening the doors to go fly.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Slim on December 23, 2008, 07:48:53 PM...and writing tickets to teammates).

All the more reason to get a ticket...

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Slim

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 23, 2008, 07:51:32 PM
Quote from: Slim on December 23, 2008, 07:48:53 PM...and writing tickets to teammates).

All the more reason to get a ticket...

Hey, I didn't ask the prosecutor to do it.  He did that all on his own.

Slim

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Slim on December 23, 2008, 07:48:53 PM
I wasn't the one getting unpleasant, I know the law and knew that I was covered either way.

Didn't mean to imply that you had...   I was speaking generally, apparently not well enough.  :D

Stonewall

Quote from: Slim on December 23, 2008, 07:48:53 PMOk, just did a quick check of the JAX area on RadioReference.  The city has an 800 MHz trunking system, and everything else is VHF/UHF.  As long as nobody is planning a migration to APCO P-25/digital, you're in luck.

Radio Shack has the PRO-163 mobile/base and PRO-162 handheld on sale right now ($149.95 and $99.95 respectively), until Christmas day.  But they put these on sale often, so check the website in a month or so and they'll be on sale again.  Both of these will cover everything in your area, and will track the 800 MHz trunked system.  I'd stay away from ebay when it comes to scanners.  Better to go new and have the warranty, instructions, etc.  If you don't need/want the 800MHz stuff, you can get something cheaper than that.

You da man, Slim!  See, this is what I need.  I want someone I trust to tell me what to get and I'll get it.  May be spending $250 on my way home from work.
Serving since 1987.

EMT-83

Scannerworld.com always has something on sale, and their customer service is pretty good. I've ordered a few things over the years and never had a problem with them.

Stonewall

Picked up a Pro-164 for $99, reglarly $219 according to the website.  They didn't have any base/mobile units in stock.  Which is probably good because it'll take a week or more to learn this one.

Stay on top of stuff in your area.
The PRO-164 stores up to 1,000 frequencies. Covers police frequencies in most metropolitian areas. Hear storm reports before they are broadcast on TV or radio. These reports are provided by trained in-the-field storm spotters in your area. Signal Stalker II will jump to the nearest transmitting frequency in your area.

• Store up to 1,000 frequencies
  • Covers police frequencies in most metropolitian areas
  • Hear storm reports before they are broadcast on TV or radio, delivered by local spotters
  • Searches for nearby frequency transmissions within approximately 1,000 feet of the radio
  • Program a name to correspond with the service so you can see at a glance who you're listening to
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

So yeah, the kids are asleep, the wife is watching TV and I pull out my new toy.  No, I couldn't wait until Christmas!

I put the batteries in and turn it on and then hitting "Scan".  I guess it's scanning all channels because I haven't done a thing to it.  I hear a local county's sheriff's office, then I hear a fire dept.  Then, it goes straight to 121.5 and won't continue scanning.  I put the squelch all the way up and it stays on 121.5.  I wonder if there's a carrier signal close by.  I'm smack dab in the middle of a Navy base where 80% of our ELTs are found and the airport where we meet.  Only about 4 miles in each direction.

Interesting...  Probably nothing.
Serving since 1987.

JoeTomasone

MAYBE nothing.   You should be able to figure out if it's a carrier-only signal by moving the antenna up, down, left, and right to see if you hear any change/hash/etc.    Take it outside and see what happens.   You could have:

1.  A carrier only ELT

2.  Something in your house generating a signal on 121.5 (I've had printers generate carrier-only signals in the 2m ham band before -- right on a repeater output, too!)

3.  Stuck on a birdie - which if it can't be unstuck (usually by hitting the scan key again), you might need to take it back - but take it for a walk/drive first and see if it clears up.

I would give 90% odds that it's #2, personally.

Major Lord

My only real gripe about scanners ( except for the blocked 800 MHZ bands, which gets my goat) is that they tend to be kind of deaf. I prefer a good wide band receiver, like my trusty Icom 706 MKIIG ( which besides working on every CAP VHF and HF frequency will also transmit AM on aircraft at about 2 Watts ouput in a crunch) Too bad its not CAP-Kosher as a transmitter. Great receiver though. I am planning on buying the AOR scanning receiver with the spectral display next year. AOR wil sell you an unlocked version if you can show them a Govt ID.
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Eclipse

One thing that has puzzled me from day one is why CAP buys radios that can't receive 121.5.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

"That Others May Zoom"

Slim

Quote from: Stonewall on December 24, 2008, 01:14:26 AMPicked up a Pro-164 for $99, reglarly $219 according to the website.  They didn't have any base/mobile units in stock.  Which is probably good because it'll take a week or more to learn this one.

If you go back in there and tell them you want the programming cable and software for it, they should have both in stock.  Surprised they didn't offer them up to you.  With those, you can program everything on your PC, then just plug in the scanner and dump everything in that way.  That should help lower the learning curve for you.

The APCO 25 scanners are even more maddening.  You almost have to have an engineering degree to figure out how to program them without the software.

Slim

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on December 24, 2008, 05:16:10 AM
One thing that has puzzled me from day one is why CAP buys radios that can't receive 121.5.

Air band is AM. Most other comm radios are FM. Listing to AM on an FM radio, or vice versa, doesn't usually work all that well, and receiver sensitivity is way down.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on December 24, 2008, 08:08:00 AM

Air band is AM. Most other comm radios are FM. Listing to AM on an FM radio, or vice versa, doesn't usually work all that well, and receiver sensitivity is way down.

Standard ELT's are VHF just like CAP frequencies, and they aren't even separated by much (how much is FOUO, of course).

My 20-year old RS Pro-35 handheld scanner can listen to both ELT's and CAP frequencies, my $1800 - 2500+ EFJ's can't, yet I see HAMs all the time in CAP with handhelds that can receive both as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Yes, both VHF - that's the frequency band. The modulation methods - AM and FM are different. Just because it's a VHF radio doesn't make it work for both air band and CAP freqs.

There's also the distinction between the FCC rules and the NTIA rules associated with the two groups of freqs and the radios on them.

A scanner is much easier to build to work on all those frequencies because it's just a receiver. Building a transceiver to do the same is very expensive.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Stonewall

About my Pro-164.  The list price online was $219 and I got it for $99 ($107 after tax).  That is a pretty darn good deal.

What I like is that it came with 154 pre-programmed channels, to include 121.5, CAP Ch.1, and ALL of the common Fire/EMS/Police freqs.  All the freqs but a few CAP and my freqs at work are already in the thing.

Talk about bada$$.
Serving since 1987.

RADIOMAN015

Well CAP buys professional DF gear for ground teams, so there's no need to fund radio scanners/receivers for that same frequency range -- ideally our squadron has ground DF equipment.  From a pratical standpoint the more "ears" you have in your squadron capable of monitoring 121.5 mhz  , after the SARSAT monitoring close down for 121.5 mhz in February, the better off you will be.  See the separate thread in the Emergency Service portion of this website on Alternate Method for DF'ings.   Key thing is to experiement before hand.  If you local airport has an ATIS or AWOS in use you can try DF'ing that with a scanner.
RM

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on December 24, 2008, 09:38:18 AM
A scanner is much easier to build to work on all those frequencies because it's just a receiver. Building a transceiver to do the same is very expensive.

Standards, regs, rules, etc., I get it, as to the expense, all I know is that I see these old-school HAMs with a cigarette-pack-sized transceiver in their pocket that lets them hunt ELT's, talk to mission base, and reshape trans-phasic inter-spatial distortions, and the $5000k of EFJ gear I was issued can't do the same thing (best I've been able to do with subspace is pickup local repeaters, direct never connnects).

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

CAP has no control over the USAF's policy that all radios will meet the new narrowband technical standards for use on DOD/USAF frequencies UNLESS a waiver has been granted.  Hq CAP appears to have gotten a short term waiver for existing in service equipment, BUT at this point has not gone for a long term waiver on non compliant equipment new internal licensing.   

Agree, if you are a ham the Yaesu FT60 can be modified with one snip of a resistor to operate on transmitter ranges from 138-174, & 420-470 mhz (non compliant for CAP and "not authorized" other public safety use (except in a life/death emergency) or business band), BUT the receiver can receive from 108 to 824 mhz, 849 to 999.9 mhz. 

As a communicator I like to have the capability at least to trasmit on just about any frequency in case of an emergency and "all else fails", BUT also the capability to monitor a wide range of frequencies. 

RM

Quote from: Eclipse on December 24, 2008, 04:43:52 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on December 24, 2008, 09:38:18 AM

Standards, regs, rules, etc., I get it, as to the expense, all I know is that I see these old-school HAMs with a cigarette-pack-sized transceiver in their pocket that lets them hunt ELT's, talk to mission base, and reshape trans-phasic inter-spatial distortions, and the $5000k of EFJ gear I was issued can't do the same thing (best I've been able to do with subspace is pickup local repeaters, direct never connnects).