Main Menu

New Radio

Started by Stonewall, December 08, 2008, 06:27:46 PM

CAP.is.1337

This is just my opinion, but I'd much rather have my own $100 radio than a $1800 CAP radio. If for some reason it was destroyed or lost in the woods, it would be my own problem, and not CAP's. (HT1000's are still plentiful and inexpensive. I've even got an extra one I'm not using, if any of y'all are interested. Your wing might even have the programming capability; I know VAWG does.)
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

Stonewall

Here is what I discovered; something I know isn't rocket science.  But as long as you are assigned a call sign no one will know what radio you are using. 

I just bought a new radio for work, and put CAP freqs in it since I only use 4 channels.  My radio guy tried to once again explain what this whole compliance thing is about and he explained it.  And again, I don't see how any radio made after 2006 IS NOT compliant because they all seem to be within the legal range.  If not, why would anyone make a radio that isn't compliant.
Serving since 1987.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Stonewall on January 01, 2009, 11:21:48 PM
Here is what I discovered; something I know isn't rocket science.  But as long as you are assigned a call sign no one will know what radio you are using. 

I just bought a new radio for work, and put CAP freqs in it since I only use 4 channels.  My radio guy tried to once again explain what this whole compliance thing is about and he explained it.  And again, I don't see how any radio made after 2006 IS NOT compliant because they all seem to be within the legal range.  If not, why would anyone make a radio that isn't compliant.

Manufacturers do occasionally come out with slight modifications to existing radio models, but chances are if the model was compliant pre-06 it is compliant post-06.  The problem is that unless that can be proven, it can't be legally sanctioned for use.

Eclipse

Not 100% true - if your radio is bleeding into other freqs, or otherwise doing weirdness, they may recall the equipment you were assigned for recertification.  If it checks out, then you continue the use of the rogue gear, questions may be asked.  They can't MIB-track it to your trunk, but the comm-stazi  tends to know what everyone has been licensed for and will, on occasion, make an issue of it.

At least some of this can be blamed on either the manufacturer or the NTIA, depending on who you like.  Some of the manufacturers simply have no interest in submitting radios, especially older ones, for NTIA certification to the most current specs, especially if it means that you'd have to buy one of their newer ones to replace the non-compliant ones.

"That Others May Zoom"

maverik

Heck I didn't know the HT's were compliant might have to pick me up one, oor see if the fire dept. chief wants to lend me one ;D
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

wuzafuzz

If anyone is still looking for a compliant radio, I just put one up for sale in the marketplace section.  It has the link to the eBay auction.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

arajca

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on January 01, 2009, 11:30:45 PM

Manufacturers do occasionally come out with slight modifications to existing radio models, but chances are if the model was compliant pre-06 it is compliant post-06.  The problem is that unless that can be proven, it can't be legally sanctioned for use.
Not quite. In Jan 2006, they changed the certification test methodology. Although the standards haven't changed, how they are measured has. If you don't use the current test method, you can't get the radio certified.

I think in general, many probably do meet the current standards, but the manufacturers do not want to test the units for what is arguably a niche market. I had heard that the current test methology costs about $10,000 per test.

JoeTomasone

And again, I don't see how any radio made after 2006 IS NOT compliant because they all seem to be within the legal range.  If not, why would anyone make a radio that isn't compliant.

Because only the Federal Government is licensed by NTIA, and NTIA doesn't enforce the standards except in case of interference.   Everyone else (licensed by the FCC) has much more relaxed spectral purity requirements.    So do you follow a spec that only CAP is making mandatory or do you make what people are buying?