Main Menu

Putting a pack together

Started by fokkerfrenzy, February 03, 2014, 05:06:52 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: Storm Chaser on February 04, 2014, 11:51:50 PM
No, but allowing for error that can easily be avoided is not conducive to safe and effective operations either. For example, if my compass is off by 3° and, while operating it I inadvertently induce an additional error of 3°, now I'm off by 6°. And the worst part is that I may not be aware of it.

In this respect +/-5 degrees isn't an error, its the operational tolerance, based on someone making a judgement call
on CAP's operational environment.

Just as two decimals of LAT/LONG is more then accurate enough to find a fire hydrant, but not accurate enough to place a fire hydrant.

3° of error will introduce about 270 linear feet of error at 1 mile's distance.  Rarely in CAP is anyone going to be navigating a full mile
without reshooting the azimuth or referencing a map, but even if you are, unless you are walking like a lemming (wive's tale) off the edge of
cliffs to stay on track, 300 feet is still well within a safe range to signal a plane, indicate your location, or find a road, which is about all
we ever use the compass' for , anyway.

And as also pointed out, there's supposed to be at least 3-4 other compass' on the team, and more then one person shooting.  Generally
it's pretty quick and easy to see which guy hasn't read the directions or who hung a dog tag on the lanyard clip (because it looks cool).

No one is getting dropped into a hot LZ and then being forced to navigate out while also micro plotting artillery coordinates.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Quote from: Storm Chaser on February 04, 2014, 11:51:50 PM
For example, if my compass is off by 3° and, while operating it I inadvertently induce an additional error of 3°, now I'm off by 6°. And the worst part is that I may not be aware of it.

If your compass is off by 3 degrees or any significant amount and you are not aware of it, then the person training you has performed a disservice to you.  The start of any land navigation course, training, verification, or other evaluation should always include, in my opinion as well as the opinion of orienteering groups, an area to verify the accuracy and precision of your compass.  Also, if you do not perform periodic testing and verification, then you are not exactly conducting an individual refit and ensuring you are ready for a mission.

fokkerfrenzy

Respectfully, can we get back on task?