Read before signing your unit up: Wreaths Across America

Started by Spam, November 22, 2019, 01:49:08 AM

Spam

As members of CAP who abide by the USAF Core Values, I would submit that we should pursue openness in qualifying suppliers and in maintaining our relationships with them. I also feel that periodically reexamining our corporate relationships is even more important when we are (a) spending appropriated money (federal, state, or local), or (b) fund raising from the public.

So, as we head into the holiday season, I would ask that CAP members at all levels consider our involvement with suppliers we patronize, and with other charitable organizations we support, but in particular, Wreaths Across America, controlled by its for-profit, sole, family owned, supplier, Worcester Wreaths Inc.  If we hold true to our core values, we should be able to look before signing up.

See, for example, the below:
https://nonprofitquarterly.org/wreaths-across-america-is-a-nonprofit-built-on-conflict-of-interest-still-a-nonprofit/
and
https://www.wsj.com/articles/wreaths-across-america-has-family-ties-to-its-supplier-1450740374
and
https://www.yahoo.com/news/donate-wreaths-across-america-lesson-003930549.html

To be fair, you should consider the position of WAA (the nonprofit, run by Karen Worcester, not the highly profitable Worcester Wreaths run by her family as exclusive suppliers). Their response can be seen at:
https://www.wreathsacrossamerica.org/financials

It is about remembering deceased veterans... but at what price?

R/s
Spam

Spaceman3750

I agree that we should be continuously on the lookout for issues.

With that said, how is this different than, say, Trail's End popcorn (Boy Scout popcorn), which is a brand of for-profit Weaver Popcorn Company?

At the end of the day, it's somebody's livelihood to make the thing being sold and that person has to eat.

Eclipse

I have never understood how / why CAP is involved with this.

Yes, "honoring veterans".

Think how much more could be done with that $16+MM every year if it went to living vets instead of Worchester.

The donors feel great, the vendor gets money, units get money, NHQ gets photo ops, living vets get nothing.

And the whole thing goes on a compost pile a couple weeks after the first of the year.

How about soliciting the same donations with the same percentages, but the lion's share goes to veteran's charities,
the fund raising percentage still goes to the unit, and the cadets go and salute every grave in the local military cemetery without a wreath?

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Eclipse on November 22, 2019, 02:03:31 AM

Think how much more could be done with that $16+MM every year if it went to living vets instead of CAP.

This is why this form of argument is frowned upon.

jb3

I've always been against WAA as a fundraiser for CAP. Not to preach, but the whole concept kind of makes one feel dirty.

Eclipse

Quote from: Holding Pattern on November 22, 2019, 05:43:36 AM

Think how much more could be done with that $16+MM every year if it went to living vets instead of CAP Not what I said, nor what is happening.

You literally change what I said and then try to make an argument like no one will notice?

"That Others May Zoom"

Fester

Quote from: jb3 on November 22, 2019, 06:05:04 AM
I've always been against WAA as a fundraiser for CAP. Not to preach, but the whole concept kind of makes one feel dirty.

I signed my unit up for the first time ever this year.  So far, we've gotten sponsors for 179 wreaths and still have one more day of setting up at a large retailer to seek sponsors.  I don't feel dirty at all.

The last time I checked, Worcester Wreaths sells WAA the wreaths at $10/each.  I don't know where else they could buy AMERICAN MADE wreaths of the same quality for less than twice that much.  The last time I checked, we as Americans still don't do enough to support, honor and remember all those that have given their lives to public servant - living or passed.  I will happily participate in any effort to lay wreaths for the Holidays at as many deceased veteran gravesites as possible.  Even if those wreaths end up in the compost pile two weeks later.

As to the point about doing something to support living vets instead - It's not a pie.  Want to support living vets?  Do it.  Why is supporting living vets and remembering and honoring our fallen vets not both possible?
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

CAP9907

From the Moderator team:

Please keep it civil and respectful. If your post was deleted, it was likely not helpful/a violation of our Members Code of Conduct (linked below this post). Please proceed in an adult manner, thank you.

~9907
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

Fester

Quote from: JohhnyD on November 22, 2019, 06:43:56 AM
86 cents on the dollar goes to the purpose stated, not perfect - but pretty good. Maybe instead we should see Worlds Finest Chocolate (https://blog.worldsfinestchocolate.com/elementary/video-lp-elementary-fundraiser-nmw?utm_term=worlds%20greatest%20chocolate&utm_campaign=Far+Reps+North+%26+Midwest+Region+2018&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_tgt=kwd-301183384008&hsa_grp=57518276079&hsa_src=g&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_mt=b&hsa_ver=3&hsa_ad=331147349518&hsa_acc=8736570539&hsa_kw=worlds%20greatest%20chocolate&hsa_cam=1524816170&gclid=Cj0KCQiAiNnuBRD3ARIsAM8Kmlth8Krd9N3G_OY5hruCEq9Vj45nqy7OYHC5Nm2_-qOoY0TvK4G-cLUaAh1_EALw_wcB)? as a fundraiser? I dunno, I think our cadets get a LOT more out of honoring our fallen warriors than just a candy bar.

My understanding of the regs is that we are prohibited from doing any type of fundraising involving companies such as Worlds Finest Chocolate where the unit has to purchase product and then resell it.

Which is fine with me.  Within my unit, our largest expense is the ABU we provide to every new cadet.  Last FY, we spent $3700 on uniforms.  Fundraising avenues like Worlds Finest Chocolates where we get maybe $1 for every bar we sell would do almost nothing to replenish those funds.  We require ways of making larger chunks of money. 
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Eclipse on November 22, 2019, 06:46:06 AM
Quote from: Holding Pattern on November 22, 2019, 05:43:36 AM

Think how much more could be done with that $16+MM every year if it went to living vets instead of CAP Not what I said, nor what is happening.

You literally change what I said and then try to make an argument like no one will notice?

The change was the point and meant to be noticed.

The fact that the same argument can be made with that single change shows why it is a bad argument.

Gunsotsu

Quote from: Fester on November 22, 2019, 06:46:47 AM
The last time I checked, we as Americans still don't do enough to support, honor and remember all those that have given their lives to public servant - living or passed.

Well, this vet thinks there's already too much Plastic Patriotism as it is.

Fester

Quote from: Gunsotsu on November 22, 2019, 07:49:47 AM
Quote from: Fester on November 22, 2019, 06:46:47 AM
The last time I checked, we as Americans still don't do enough to support, honor and remember all those that have given their lives to public servant - living or passed.

Well, this vet thinks there's already too much Plastic Patriotism as it is.

Understood.  You've definitely earned the right to that opinion.  But, all due respect, some vets don't consider it Plastic Patriotism.  Every vet in my unit is very glad to be participating.  And my vet father is a huge supporter.  But if that's your view, don't participate.  You definitely have earned that right.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

baronet68

Quote from: Fester on November 22, 2019, 06:57:54 AM
My understanding of the regs is that we are prohibited from doing any type of fundraising involving companies such as Worlds Finest Chocolate where the unit has to purchase product and then resell it.

Not quite true.  It is the use of promoters, who use CAP's name to sell something (usually tickets to some kind of variety show) in exchange for a percentage of the ticket sales,  is prohibited.

Quote from: CAPR 173-4
... there are other types of fund raising activities allowing the unit to retain a percentage
of the selling price of a product that may be approved. These types of fund raising activities
will require the approval of NHQ/GC and NHQ/COD. Requests should be submitted through
the respective wing or region commander, which ever applies.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Spam

So lets stay away from live vets.
Lets also stay away from dead ones, for the moment.

For some members, this may be primarily about making "larger chunks of money" (not primarily about dead veterans). If this were all about honoring dead vets, it would be done at cost - not at cost plus profit.  And make no mistake, this is a line of business in which some really great single source supplier profits are coming in, via the useful graves of vets. For the volunteer orgs, dead-veteran-honoring may be a useful PR cloak under which some really productive fund raising for larger chunks of money is being done. But lets consider a case where we remove the "wreaths for dead vets" emotional plea aspect and substitute literally any other product you could think of.

Now, in that emotionally neutral environment, should CAP corporately and its subordinate units down to the local level be working with any fund raising organization with this setup, with this history? Should CAP be partnering with a family owned company which controls the driving nonprofit and rigs the charity to be locked into the family owned sole qualified supplier of the nonprofit?

I would argue, absolutely not.

Imagine a CAP in which our leadership, from the bottom to the top, did due diligence in qualifying both suppliers and charitable fund raising partners to an ethical standard before signing us up in the hopes of larger chunks of money. A CAP in which we said, "yeah, that seemed like a good idea at the time... but lets put the ethical standard before the financial goals".

V/r
Spam

Fester

Quote from: Spam on November 22, 2019, 08:40:07 AM

For some members, this may be primarily about making "larger chunks of money" (not primarily about dead veterans). If this were all about honoring dead vets, it would be done at cost - not at cost plus profit.  And make no mistake, this is a line of business in which some really great single source supplier profits are coming in, via the useful graves of vets. For the volunteer orgs, dead-veteran-honoring may be a useful PR cloak under which some really productive fund raising for larger chunks of money is being done. But lets consider a case where we remove the "wreaths for dead vets" emotional plea aspect and substitute literally any other product you could think of.

Now, in that emotionally neutral environment, should CAP corporately and its subordinate units down to the local level be working with any fund raising organization with this setup, with this history? Should CAP be partnering with a family owned company which controls the driving nonprofit and rigs the charity to be locked into the family owned sole qualified supplier of the nonprofit?

Imagine a CAP in which our leadership, from the bottom to the top, did due diligence in qualifying both suppliers and charitable fund raising partners to an ethical standard before signing us up in the hopes of larger chunks of money. A CAP in which we said, "yeah, that seemed like a good idea at the time... but lets put the ethical standard before the financial goals".

V/r
Spam

Like I said.  If you have an issue with the ethics of it all, don't participate.  I'd even argue that if you are in a position to prevent subordinate units from participating, I would even support that.  That is well within your right as a Commander in this organization.

I did the due diligence before registering my unit.  In fact, I read two of the three articles listed in the original post.  And then I researched it even further.  Let me put this as clear as I can:  Even if my unit wasn't earning funds from our participation, I still would have made the decision to participate because of the main goal of WAA to honor and remember our fallen heroes.

All said, I appreciate your original post.  Many people don't do the due diligence that some of us do.  So thank you for the post and for bringing that knowledge to those of us in a position to make the decision and for those of us who DON'T know the history.  Now, let the people who make these decisions at the local level absorb that knowledge and make the decision for themselves.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Spam

Quote from: Fester on November 22, 2019, 09:03:13 AM
Quote from: Spam on November 22, 2019, 08:40:07 AM

V/r
Spam

Like I said.  If you have an issue with the ethics of it all, don't participate.  I'd even argue that if you are in a position to prevent subordinate units from participating, I would even support that.  That is well within your right as a Commander in this organization.

I did the due diligence before registering my unit.  In fact, I read two of the three articles listed in the original post.  And then I researched it even further.  Let me put this as clear as I can:  Even if my unit wasn't earning funds from our participation, I still would have made the decision to participate because of the main goal of WAA to honor and remember our fallen heroes.

All said, I appreciate your original post.  Many people don't do the due diligence that some of us do.  So thank you for the post and for bringing that knowledge to those of us in a position to make the decision and for those of us who DON'T know the history.  Now, let the people who make these decisions at the local level absorb that knowledge and make the decision for themselves.

Fair enough, Fester, fair enough.

For the record, I did recently request to step down as a WG/CV due to family medical issues, and didn't apply for our WG/CC spot. Were I to have done so and in the event of being selected, sure, I would have had more than a lone cautionary/advisory voice (grin). Best wishes to the commanders of all levels.

V/r
Spam