ABUs - AF style Uniform or no?

Started by hollandmin, February 13, 2024, 03:37:50 PM

hollandmin

Hi All,

It seems I can't get a straight answer from anyone in my chain of command about the ABUs. Some say that they are authorized for everyone regardless of Height/weight standards because the USAF no longer uses the uniform; others say they are only authorized for those who meet Height/weight and grooming standards. I have read 39-1 backward and forward and see nowhere where it states that the ABU is an AF-style uniform or not an AF-style uniform, or specific regs that state wearing one way or the other, only the proper wearing of the uniform.

So which is it? Can someone definitively make some sense of this?
Chaplain Captain
258th, Group 5, PA WING

ML07

Quote from: hollandmin on February 13, 2024, 03:37:50 PMI have read 39-1 backward and forward and see nowhere where it states that the ABU is an AF-style uniform or not an AF-style uniform

Page 68
5.1. USAF-style Utility Uniforms
5.1.1. Men's and Women's Airman's Battle Uniform (ABU)
It says ABU is an AF-style uniform here.

Quote from: hollandmin on February 13, 2024, 03:37:50 PMSome say that they are authorized for everyone regardless of Height/weight standards because the USAF no longer uses the uniform; others say they are only authorized for those who meet Height/weight and grooming standards.

As I wrote above, the ABU is an AF style uniform.
Annnnddd, 39-1 says:
3.2. USAF-style Uniform Grooming Standards. Members must comply with the requirements of this
paragraph and sub-paragraphs to wear the USAF-style uniform.

On page 123, the weight standard attachment:
1. Members who are aged 18 and older must meet CAP weight standards in order to wear the USAF-style
uniform

C/1stLt, CAP
C/CC
C/ITO
C/Comm

Eclipse

I mean, seriously?

CAPR 39-1, Summary of changes, and then further Page 68, ยง 5.1.1.

"Chapter 5. Authorizes the wear of the USAF-style Airman's Battle Uniform (ABU) with distinctive CAP accoutrements."

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R_391_with_ICL_2101_Incorporated_5660EEB90E0DB.pdf

No one with a clue would make this assertion.

You are hereby authorized to either ignore or ridicule at your discretion.

"That Others May Zoom"