CAP uniform to basic training

Started by ♠SARKID♠, December 31, 2007, 11:33:41 PM

♠SARKID♠

I'm not saying that I'm going to do this, but the thought of it makes me chuckle.  What would happen if someone wore their CAP blues uniform to AF basic training?  How do you think the flight staff would react when you got off the bus?   ;D

JAFO78

I am sure the TI would be laughing so hard that they could not do anything......OR

They would chew you a new body cavity.....
JAFO

mikeylikey

Front leaning rest.  Better yet.....you would be made class leader or flight leader or whatever the AF calls those guys who are held responsible during basic for everything the group does or fails to do. 

Reality kicks in and all I see is laughing in your face.   ;D
What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Not sure you'd make it out of MEPS before getting your butt kicked...probably by some other former CAP cadet...
Serving since 1987.

Nomex Maximus

...hmmm... how to handle the drill instructor... hmmm... 30 years later makes a bit of difference... I doubt a drill instructor / sergeant could phase me now. There was a time when, like everyone else, they scared me. Of course such fear is what motivates this thread. Now, if he/she were to start shouting at me, I'd probably loudly tell him/her to "please stop shouting at me. Tell me what you want me to do and I will do it, but please stop the shouting; it is really annoying and unnecessary."

Wear your CAP uniform to Basic? Why would it be any different to them than any other civilian clothing? It is not an Air Force uniform, so it's not what they want you to be wearing. Are you communicating something to them? If so, what? That you are a fine upstanding youth here to serve your country? Works for me, but I have no idea if they will recognize what a CAP uniform represents. A shame for them.

If memory serves me correctly, your first few days will be in a receiving unit where they will outfit you with uniforms, vaccinations, shave your head and complete initial paperwork. After all that is done THEN they introduce you to your new drill sergeant. So in other words, your new drill sergeant will have never seen you in your CAP uniform.

Way, way back when... I toyed with the idea of showing up for Army basic (in the 70's when it was considered really stupid to join the Army) wearing a "Soldier of Fortune" magazine "Death From Above" T-shirt... didn't do it, and it's a shame that I didn't...

All that having been said, Cadet, if you are ready to move from CAP to active service, I salute you.

<<Nomex SALUTES>>

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

Major Lord

I have it on good authority that you are wise to not discuss your CAP "career" in Basic.  Anything you say can and will be used against you....do you really want to be called "Master Sgt" by a group of guys who are just looking for someone to humiliate? Don't even bring your membership card. Treat the Tac's like you would treat Al Quaida.....

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

ColonelJack

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on January 01, 2008, 01:29:58 AM
If memory serves me correctly, your first few days will be in a receiving unit where they will outfit you with uniforms, vaccinations, shave your head and complete initial paperwork. After all that is done THEN they introduce you to your new drill sergeant. So in other words, your new drill sergeant will have never seen you in your CAP uniform.

Not in the AF; at least, not as I recall it from the mid-70s.  When we got off the bus from the airport to Lackland, we were met by our TIs ... the same dudes who made life miserable for the next six and a half weeks.  I'll never forget SSgt Bong and SSgt Williams on either side of me screaming because I knew how to do an about face -- I had two years of Army ROTC in high school.  That's how I got made a squad leader (we still called 'em squads back then).

That being said ... don't wear your CAP uniform to basic.  You'd have the same impact if you wore a t-shirt with a target and bull's-eye on it.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

♠SARKID♠

Like I said, I don't plan on doing this.  I'm just curious as to what the initial look on the FC's face, however fleeting, would look like.

QuoteI'll never forget SSgt Bong and SSgt Williams on either side of me screaming because I knew how to do an about face -- I had two years of Army ROTC in high school.

Why did they yell? (stupid question, allow a rephrase) Were they mad at you for knowing, or just trying to humiliate you?

baronet68

Quote from: Major Lord on January 01, 2008, 01:33:42 AM
I have it on good authority that you are wise to not discuss your CAP "career" in Basic.  Anything you say can and will be used against you...

I attended Army basic in 1989 and when asked why I had extra stripes, I replied "Civil Air Patrol".  The Drill Sergeant's response was "What? ? ? ? ? ? ? the? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? huh? ? ? ?"  I then said it's like ROTC and he walked away.  I never mentioned it again.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

♠SARKID♠

^Do you get to pin on the extra stripe during or after basic?

mikeylikey

^ After.....right before graduation.  Then all your buddies are like "what the crap dude?!?!

PLUS......knowing you are making a few bucks more than your peers in basic is a motivator as well!
What's up monkeys?

♠SARKID♠

^Next burning question, do you have to jump a couple extra hoops to get the paperwork from CAP-NHQ over to USAF to get the promo?  Or is it done automatically?

shorning

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on January 01, 2008, 03:16:20 AM
^Next burning question, do you have to jump a couple extra hoops to get the paperwork from CAP-NHQ over to USAF to get the promo?  Or is it done automatically?

You hand your recruiter a copy of your Mitchell (or higher) certificate.  Make sure the advanced rank is in your contract too.

Stonewall

I got my stripe day 1 of BCT, but I didn't wear it until graduation.  Other guys did and a lot more was expected of them.  I just impressed them as a fast learner.
Serving since 1987.

ColonelJack

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on January 01, 2008, 02:51:00 AM
Why did they yell? (stupid question, allow a rephrase) Were they mad at you for knowing, or just trying to humiliate you?

Yes.

;)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

ColonelJack

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on January 01, 2008, 02:59:24 AM

I signed a six-year enlistment contract in 1975 and was promoted to E-3 the day I graduated from BMT.  (We won't talk about what happened a few days later that ended my career ... not fun to remember.)  I got to go home with A1C stripes on my uniform, though.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: ColonelJack on January 01, 2008, 05:21:53 AM

(We won't talk about what happened a few days later that ended my career ... not fun to remember.) 

See now we just hav-ta ask.....

baronet68

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on January 01, 2008, 02:59:24 AM

I (along with all the other 'advanced' Privates) were given our stripes on day one and were pretty much forced to wear them for our entire basic training cycle.  For the first few days, the Drill Sergeants carried a list of names/ranks and would call people out for details/instruction/ect.  If your collar didn't match the Drill Sergeant's list, you were given special instruction in the area of muscle failure on account of your "being out of uniform".
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

W3ZR

Robert Montgomery, soon to be former Captain, CAP

brasda91

Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011