CAP Joins Total Air Force 'Airmen'

Started by XxJake114xX, September 08, 2015, 02:40:30 AM

XxJake114xX

I read this article today... what does this mean for CAP? Instead of calling them "cadets", do we call them "airmen"?

http://tinyurl.com/ocdey5c

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: XxJake114xX on September 08, 2015, 02:40:30 AM
I read this article today... what does this mean for CAP? Instead of calling them "cadets", do we call them "airmen"?

No. They are still cadets, just as captains are still captains, colonels are still colonels. Every CAP member is still a volunteer while serving as a volunteer.

The difference is that, on wide basis, while still holding those titles, ranks, grades, they are also "Airmen." Think of it as everyone being "team mates" in addition to holding their position title.

(You'll see some hair splitting where people will insist that we are "Airmen" ONLY while on Air Force authorized missions. Such insistence comes from unnecessary parsing of the announcement, which was intended to be inclusionary and not exclusionary).

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Huey Driver

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

winterg

This is CapTalk. So.....no. the stick has an AED built into the end so that every time you hit the horse it revives it. 

Luis R. Ramos

Winter-

Good try but the AED is not for that purpose.

Actually what happened is that someone put a pacemaker in that horse so it does gets an electric shock. With a huge battery so it will not stop working for years and years... So the poor horse, albeit all the scars of the beatings will continue running. . .
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Paul_AK

Since we're back on the topic.... the local base paper had a pretty decent pic to go with the article.

https://www.dvidshub.net/publication/issues/26888 
Paul M. McBride
TSgt, 176 SFS, AKANG
1st Lt, AK CAP

Earhart #13376

Holding Pattern

Quote from: XxJake114xX on September 08, 2015, 02:40:30 AM

It's actually really simple. Keep doing everything the same until a reg changes.

From one of the articles on this:

QuoteWith this newest change, Air Force leaders should consider each part of the total force, including the auxiliary, when determining the most effective and efficient ways to complete the mission. CAP has approximately 57,000 volunteers and 550 aircraft assigned to more than 1,500 units stateside available or currently supporting non-combat missions on behalf of the Air Force.

I suppose this means that there may be some opportunities that the AF wasn't able to use us for that it may be able to use us for now.

So, more missions, more training, more awesomeness.

Oh yes, and a new signature block!  :D

Holding Pattern

Also, let's try and keep this thread more positive than the last one, yes? I missed the congratulatory thread due to... the things in it.  :-X

TheTravelingAirman

Don't take me as being rude, but I do have to point out that it is in black and white when CAP members are "Airmen" and when they are solely the valuable volunteers that they have only been. Forgive me, if you can, but based off the USAF Doctrine that guides the release we have been discussing for a few days now, I have pulled the following. I do have to give Sardak recognition for linking the individual chapters. No matter how we feel, Big Blue only recognized us as part of the team when we're actually playing on the team. 

Air Force Core Doctrine, Volume II, Leadership, Chapter 1: The Airman:

"Today, Department of the Air Force (DAF) civilians and members of the Civil Air Patrol, when conducting missions for the Air Force as the official Air Force Auxiliary, are incorporated within the broader meaning of the term when there is a need to communicate to a larger audience within the Service, either for force development purposes or for clarity and inclusiveness by senior leaders when addressing a larger body of personnel." -Front page, CH 1

"In addition, Civil Air Patrol members, when executing Air Force-assigned missions, are civilian volunteers (with a small paid staff) of the official Air Force Auxiliary." -Bottom of first page of CH 1, section "Total Force"

"Airman. The term Airman has historically been associated with uniformed members of the US Air Force (officer or enlisted; regular, reserve, or guard) regardless of  rank, component, or specialty.  Today, Department of the Air Force civilians and members of the Civil Air Patrol, when conducting missions for the Air Force as the  official Air Force Auxiliary, are incorporated within the broader meaning of the term when there is a need to communicate to a larger audience within the Service, either for force development purpose s or for clarity and inclusiveness by senior leaders when addressing a larger body of personnel.  All Airmen, military and civilian, support and defend the Constitution of the United States and live by the Air Force core values. (Volume 2) " - Glossary definition of Airman.

"[T]otal [F]orce. The US Air Force organizations, units, and individuals that provide the capabilities to support the Department of Defense in implementing the national security strategy. Total force includes Regular Air Force, Air National Guard of the United States, Air Force Reserve military personnel, US Air Force military retired members, US Air Force civilian personnel (including foreign national direct and indirect-hire, as well as non-appropriated fund employees), contractor staff, and host-nation support personnel. (AFI 90-1001)" - Glossary definition of Total Force

AF Doctrine Vol II Link - https://doctrine.af.mil/download.jsp?filename=Volume-2-Leadership.pdf

Glossary Links -
https://doctrine.af.mil/download.jsp?filename=AF-GLOSSARY-A.pdf

https://doctrine.af.mil/download.jsp?filename=AF-GLOSSARY-T.pdf

Please don't hate me. I can't make it smaller. I've tried like 4 times. EDIT: Fixed thanks to SarDragon

SarDragon

PM regarding formatting sent.

As a general comment in that regard, copying and pasting from a word processor will usually carry the formatting with it. Click the blue icon with the red A in it BEFORE you paste your content to prevent transferring the formatting.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Panache

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on September 08, 2015, 04:30:16 PM
Winter-

Good try but the AED is not for that purpose.

Actually what happened is that someone put a pacemaker in that horse so it does gets an electric shock. With a huge battery so it will not stop working for years and years... So the poor horse, albeit all the scars of the beatings will continue running. . .

"We need more power!  Bring reactor #2 up to 100%"

Storm Chaser

Quote from: TheTravelingAirman on September 09, 2015, 02:34:31 AM
Don't take me as being rude, but I do have to point out that it is in black and white when CAP members are "Airmen" and when they are solely the valuable volunteers that they have only been. Forgive me, if you can, but based off the USAF Doctrine that guides the release we have been discussing for a few days now, I have pulled the following. I do have to give Sardak recognition for linking the individual chapters. No matter how we feel, Big Blue only recognized us as part of the team when we're actually playing on the team.

I think that's only reasonable. Not everything we do in CAP supports the Air Force directly. But when we do support the Air Force as their official Auxiliary, then we're part of their Total Force.