Unit Encampment Report?

Started by GaryVC, July 23, 2016, 05:29:19 PM

GaryVC

Is there a report that shows if and when a cadet has gone to encampment? I searched in eServices and it appeared to find one but I was unable to view the report. Ideally I would like to see when a cadet went and how many encampments they have been to.

kwe1009

Under "Member Search (restricted)" you can see the encampments a person has attended along with the year and location.  Not everyone has access to that search but if you are a commander, deputy commander, or deputy commander for cadets then you should have access.  You can only look at one person at a time.  I don't know if any eServices reports for encampment.

Eclipse

Cadet Programs > Cadet Promotions > Reports > Cadet Encampment Report

"That Others May Zoom"

GaryVC

Got it. It shows who and the most recent encampment but not how many.

GaryVC

Quote from: Eclipse on July 23, 2016, 06:13:59 PM

Got it. It show who and the most recent but not how many. I guess I can make my own using the Member Search. One of our cadets has been to six encampments in the past 3 years.

Eclipse

Quote from: GaryVC on July 23, 2016, 11:30:32 PM

Got it. It show who and the most recent but not how many. I guess I can make my own using the Member Search. One of our cadets has been to six encampments in the past 3 years.

That or something out of CAPWatch would be the only way to pull that data.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Yeah, there seems to be a number of cadets in NVWG and CAWG who seem to think it's a good idea to staff both the CAWG and NVWG encampments in the same year.
I don't blame the cadets as much as I blame the CAWG/NVWG Cadet Programs folks who allow it to happen.

GaryVC

Yeah, there seems to be a number of cadets in NVWG and CAWG who seem to think it's a good idea to staff both the CAWG and NVWG encampments in the same year.
I don't blame the cadets as much as I blame the CAWG/NVWG Cadet Programs folks who allow it to happen.

I think it is more complicated than that. For the most recent NVWG encampment the Commandant of Cadets recruited some cadet staff from California. Our cadet who went to the California encampment this year was apparently on kitchen duty.

PHall

Quote from: GaryVC on July 24, 2016, 04:39:43 PM

I think it is more complicated than that. For the most recent NVWG encampment the Commandant of Cadets recruited some cadet staff from California. Our cadet who went to the California encampment this year was apparently on kitchen duty.

Well, you aren't  assigned to Mess, you have to apply for it. If the cadet didn't want Mess all they had to do was say no.
And regarding NVWG cadets on staff at the CAWG Encampment, if you don't bother to apply, you have zero chance at getting a job.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: PHall on July 24, 2016, 08:41:55 AM

What is wrong with it?

PHall

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 24, 2016, 09:59:12 PM
Quote from: PHall on July 24, 2016, 08:41:55 AM

What is wrong with it?

More then a few rumblings about how CAWG cadets stole all the jobs at the NVWG encampment.

The Infamous Meerkat

Pointless bickering.

NVWG, like most wings, doesn't have the available staff to run their own encampment without having plenty of staffing holes. If we would all try to work together rather than try to put up walls at the state line (or in other areas) we would be able to run some seriously fantastic encampments, rather than a multitude of "yeah, we did our best to  (but couldn't fully) satisfy the requirements" type encampments. CAWG had a group of very well experienced and tempered Cadets that were helping at the encampment, which is nothing more than a service to NVWG that they should be grateful for. NVWG's encampment is as good as it is today because of their help, not in spite of it.

Grumblings about theft of positions are garbage, if they were the most qualified, they would have been selected.
Captain Kevin Brizzi, CAP
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on July 24, 2016, 10:35:19 PM
More then a few rumblings about how CAWG cadets stole all the jobs at the NVWG encampment.

Don't get that - hear about it on occasion, no idea why either wing allows it.  Onsie-twosie cadets
being part of the "road show" ho travel 22 hours for an encampment, whatever, but when a large
contingent from another wing takes a big part of the jobs in another wing, that's not right.

Encampments are supposed to train locals, not to mention the opportunities stolen from those same locals.

Quote from: The Infamous Meerkat on July 24, 2016, 11:04:10 PM
Pointless bickering.

NVWG, like most wings, doesn't have the available staff to run their own encampment without having plenty of staffing holes.

Why not?  I see there are issues with number in NVWG right now, that just means a smaller scope of the activity.
Encampments should be able to scale to the need.

Where are the NVWG cadets during the encampment week and why isn't there downward pressure for them to
"give back" through staff service.

"That Others May Zoom"

The Infamous Meerkat

Eclipse,

There are plenty of NVWG Cadets both in ranks and in cadre for this encampment, which is what makes this assertion a bit strange. The only one that I ever heard complained about was the Cadet Commander because another one of the other lower ranking officers thought she deserved it instead. Nevada receives beneficial assistance from California, any other assertion I would say is clouded by some personal vendettas...

Also, Encampments are held primarily for the benefit of the local Cadets, but where does it say that Encampments should not welcome outside help from subject matter experts and willing volunteers? Why do we need to continue to work only for our own wings benefit instead of working to better the CAP as a whole? Your assertion that people helping out at other states encampments should be considered theft is a bit disturbing to me.
Captain Kevin Brizzi, CAP
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Eclipse on July 24, 2016, 11:06:39 PM

Encampments are supposed to train locals

And, other than in EPR eleventy dash umpty-eight, is there a CAP ref cite for that anywhere?

(EPR = "Eclipse Personal Regulation")

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Ozzy

I concur with Eclipse a bit when encampments are primarily to better and strengthen a wing's cadet programs. National does seem to agree too, per CAPP 52-24 Chapter 1, section 1.1d "Goals Areas ... And finally the encampment is the centerpiece of the wing-level Cadet Programs, providing the wing with an opportunity to boost the capabilities of its hometown and composite squadrons and to standardize cadet training within the wing, so the encampment program pursues goals for the wing's overall Cadet Programs."

By this I do believe that an encampment should choose cadets primarily for student and staff positions by wing first and qualifications second. That being said, if only a c/2nd Lt from the wing applied for CC then mayhaps see what the other options are.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Ahem, my apologies, I did not look at the date of last post...
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Ozzy on November 08, 2016, 05:09:54 PM
I concur with Eclipse a bit when encampments are primarily to better and strengthen a wing's cadet programs. National does seem to agree too, per CAPP 52-24 Chapter 1, section 1.1d "Goals Areas ... And finally the encampment is the centerpiece of the wing-level Cadet Programs, providing the wing with an opportunity to boost the capabilities of its hometown and composite squadrons and to standardize cadet training within the wing, so the encampment program pursues goals for the wing's overall Cadet Programs."

By this I do believe that an encampment should choose cadets primarily for student and staff positions by wing first and qualifications second. That being said, if only a c/2nd Lt from the wing applied for CC then mayhaps see what the other options are.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Ahem, my apologies, I did not look at the date of last post...

Choose cadets "...by wing first and qualifications second..."

Really? I mean, REALLY?

Proximity isn't a qualification or a selling point any more than is hair color.

"We provided the best South Dakota cadet cadre members we could find, instead of the best cadet cadre members we could find. So, our graduates can build on and enjoy the South Dakotaness of it all, because that's important."

Ever see the Right Stuff, when the guys from Washington were at Pancho's place?

Liaison Man: You mean for this "space race", you don't want our best pilots?
Recruiter: I didn't say that. We want the best pilots that we can get.

Meanwhile, back at South Dakota encampment..."Yes, CAP is a nationwide program. Yes, the Wyoming cadet is a great choice. But that's just it, her qualifications cant be allowed to outrank where she resides. Because Wing."

And yet, in another thread, we are talking about bringing in AFROTC cadets, sight unseen, to encampments, because mentor.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Eclipse

And where do the local cadets get their chance?  I am just going to have to assume you haven't
had to deal with the "road show".

In >all< cases where there's a tie, the local cadet should always get precedence, and when there
is a question, local development should trump "best".

Any idea that CAP is a "national program" in this respect, denies or ignores the fact that most cadets get a single
shot at a respective staff position because of their own timing / age issues, and any time a cadet from another wing
is given an out of state job, that's a local cadet who lost out, and may never have another chance.

CAP is decidedly local and unlike the military or other similar situations, cadre cadets aren't expected to come in the door
fully baked and autonomous, the seniors are there to insure things run properly, catch them when they fall, and
guide them when they struggle.

Encampment CC's who bring in a bunch of road show ringers so things go "perfect" are missing the point entirely.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Eclipse following your thought process which is logical and reasonable how about this. 

Osan Cadet Sq, Kadena Cadet Sq, Ramstein Cadet Sq and the Spangdhalem Cadet Sq all decide to do a collective overseas encampment. 

Osan host's  but doesn't have enough bodies for staffing so every one else fills in the voids.  You would rather have a C/SSgt from Osan be the the C/CC instead of say a C/Maj from Ramstein because of locality?

Eclipse

Obviously not, for starters, a CSSgt isn't even marginally qualified for the job.

We need to be talking about reasonable situations, and overseas units aren't ever going to be in that lane for
a number of logistical reasons.

The assumption here is that the cadets in question are at least qualified minimally on paper.

"That Others May Zoom"