Changing Civil Air Patrol to U.S. Civil Air Patrol

Started by RiverAux, March 03, 2007, 06:47:13 PM

Should we put "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" on BDU name tapes, press releases, etc.?

Yes
28 (28%)
No
72 (72%)

Total Members Voted: 99

RiverAux

Brought up at NB at about 12:40 today. 

Added periods - MIKE

RiverAux

Sort of a Uniform item, but I think that this would essentially be changing the name of the organization without actually doing it, which is why I put it in the Lobby instead. 

RiverAux

Well, the NB approved this proposal with almost no opposition to change the BDU name tape.  Lets hope the AF doesn't approve it (since it would go on the AF uniform).

LtCol White

Great. Make the name tapes even longer. They barely fit over the pocket now
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

RiverAux

Someone at the NB asked if they would even fit over the pockets on small cadet uniforms.  No real response was given. 

MIKE

As I've said in the other thread... There is going to be problems getting it to fit between the pocket edges if they don't downsize the font some.

I don't understand why we need to have U.S. CIVIL AIR PATROL and flag patches on our uniforms when 99.99 % of our membership will not be wearing the uniform OCONUS... And the few overseas units will be on U.S. military installations for the most part.

Don't most of our letterheads etc... Already say U.S. Air Force Auxiliary on them somewhere, or has that been changed and I didn't notice... If it didn't change on me U.S. Civil Air Patrol would be somewhat redundant redundant.

Why not just drop Civil Air Patrol all together, since the name seems to be popular with other nations.  USAF AUXILIARY anyone?  >:D
Mike Johnston

Chappie

Saw the presentation and groaned.....we do not need yet another uniform item and besides we have been mandated to wear the reverse American flag on the BDU.  Wouldn't the American flag on the BDU suffice for the identification of the Civil Air Patrol which is from the U.S.?
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

RiverAux

TP mentioned using it in press releases as well, but I don't think the actual motion that was approved applied to anything other than BDU tapes.  Lets see if we get a mandate to start using that on web pages, press releases, etc.

Eclipse

Dumb idea, but it will fit.

I already have tapes that say "U.S. AIR FORCE AUXILIARY".
Did it just to see if it would fit, and it does.  The font gets just gets thinner.

Adding just "U.S." wouldn't be a problem. Other than the PITA of doing it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Matt

TP also stated that they would be scaled to fit if it would be needed.  They way he put it made remote sense.  Not because we're going to be OCONUS, but because it would match the rest of the branches, i.e. U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, etc.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Lancer

And what... this set's us apart from all the other Civil Air Patrol's out there?

Cause ya know, I'd hate to get confused with the Canadian and Mexican Civil Air Patrol's.  ;D

Nick Critelli

This should eliminate the present confusion that the press, state and local government have  that CAP is a state based organization, e.g. Iowa Civil Air Patrol, New York Civil Air Patrol, etc. 

USAF Aux would have been nice but Congress eliminated that option in Oct of 2000 with changes to Title 10.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on March 03, 2007, 09:00:56 PM
And what... this set's us apart from all the other Civil Air Patrol's out there?

Cause ya know, I'd hate to get confused with the Canadian and Mexican Civil Air Patrol's.  ;D

There actually is another Civil Air Patrol out there.  AUSCAP.

Lancer

Quote from: Nick Critelli, Lt Col CAP on March 03, 2007, 09:22:43 PM
This should eliminate the present confusion that the press, state and local government have  that CAP is a state based organization, e.g. Iowa Civil Air Patrol, New York Civil Air Patrol, etc. 
USAF Aux would have been nice but Congress eliminated that option in Oct of 2000 with changes to Title 10.

I guess in that case, I concede to the logic.  Yes, USAF AUX would be nice.

I just hope we can settle on all the details and get down to doing what we're suppose to be doing.

Mustang

The Problem with this proposal is that, unlike the U.S. Air Force or U.S. Army, the name of this organization is "Civil Air Patrol", not "U.S. Civil Air Patrol".  It'd take a change of federal law to change the name.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

RiverAux

Thats my main problem.... We're NOT the U.S. Civil Air Patrol.

DNall

Quote from: Matt on March 03, 2007, 08:55:49 PM
TP also stated that they would be scaled to fit if it would be needed.  They way he put it made remote sense.  Not because we're going to be OCONUS, but because it would match the rest of the branches, i.e. U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, etc.
Yeah but we're not another branch!!! Here's why you don't use is on press releases, cause right now it says:
Civil Air Patrol
US Air Force Auxiliary

Would you prefer to cut any mention of the Air Force or our role as their auxiliary & just say: "US Civil Air Patrol"? That seems like exactly the wrong thing to do. Who think this stupid crap up?

The other thing, and the reason we cannot just put USAF Aux on our tapes or something along those lines, is USAFAuxiliary isn't our official name. CAP is our name as established by congress, & we are designated the Auxiliary of the Air Force (not the Air Force Auxiliary). Congress alone, not even the Air Force & certainly not the national board, has the power to allow us to 'do business as' any alternative name. In other words, this is real stupid & not entirely legal.

Nick Critelli

Dennis

t's perfectly legal.  Under Title 36 USC 40302 et. seq. we are a corporation and can do all things (except issue stock) that a corporation can do.  D/B/A, trade names, etc. is one thing corporations do. (vested rights).

After all we are not the United States Air Force Auxiliary and for years we called ourselves that. 

As for who thinks up these stupid ideas...I did   ;D...after much confusion about our status as a federal entity versus a state club.

Nick

RiverAux

Much of which can probably be traced back to the misuse of terms like Title 36 and Title 10 missions in your state. 

By the way, the NB didn't vote to change the name or vote to make US Civil Air Patrol a d/b/a term, they just voted to put it on BDU name tapes. 

Why only BDU name tapes?  If we're going to do it, why not all the way?

JC004

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on March 03, 2007, 09:28:40 PM
There actually is another Civil Air Patrol out there.  AUSCAP.

Good thing we got that changed, then.  Don't want to get mixed up and confused next time we are working with the Australian CAP.

Seriously...there was no real mentioned reason for this?  Why do I have a feeling it was Vanguard's idea?   :o