Main Menu

2b for techincal issue?

Started by Daniel, December 28, 2009, 07:47:40 AM

Майор Хаткевич

You didn't specify that you meant music and file sharing as the same. I don't use any of the illegal download sites, I go to a .ru site which is legal according to their laws and pay $.15 a song.

Surely you can find more use for the internet besides the once in a while IMPORTANT e-mail. E-mail existed before the internet. The internet is not based on e-mail, nor should it be.

As an example: I'm a college student, I'm (almost) 20. I can cook, but sometimes...well sometimes it's a good day to explore what Chicago has to offer. Am I supposed to keep 1000 different menus at home? Heck no, I'll just go to Grubhub.com and be done with it in 5 minutes.

What about booking a flight for vacation? Do I call different airlines and see what I can get? Or do I light up Bing.com and use their travel comparison page?

There is so much more to the internet then the routine e-mails. I can't imagine (well, I can since I lived without it before) what it would be like without it. Something that takes me 5 minutes to do would take 5-10x as long without it. Try holding down a full time job and going to college full time without it. I don't have the hours I'd need to spend on the library researching for essays. With the internet, I can even access books online!

Eclipse

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on December 29, 2009, 01:42:45 AM
You didn't specify that you meant music and file sharing as the same. I don't use any of the illegal download sites, I go to a .ru site which is legal according to their laws and pay $.15 a song.

Awesome, should you ever reside there, those laws would be applicable.  As it stands, they are violating US copyright laws, and last I checked, that was where you lived.

As to the rest - yes, I understand what the tubes are for.  Its how I make my living, and it, and those sites you mentioned above have nothing to do with "social networking" whatever that is.

Rarely will you ever get a drive-by or similar from legitimate commercial sites - start venturing into places where you have to tip-toe around the law, or where people can poke and scrape you, and you deserve what you get.

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on December 29, 2009, 01:42:45 AMTry holding down a full time job and going to college full time without it.

I can't even imagine - oh wait, yes I can.  That's what people did in "modern society" for about 200 years.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on December 29, 2009, 01:55:06 AM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on December 29, 2009, 01:42:45 AM

Awesome, should you ever reside there, those laws would be applicable.  As it stands, they are violating US copyright laws, and last I checked, that was where you lived.

As to the rest - yes, I understand what the tubes are for.  Its how I make my living, and it, and those sites you mentioned above have nothing to do with "social networking" whatever that is.

Rarely will you ever get a drive-by or similar from legitimate commercial sites - start venturing into places where you have to tip-toe around the law, or where people can poke and scrape you, and you deserve what you get.

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on December 29, 2009, 01:42:45 AMTry holding down a full time job and going to college full time without it.

I can't even imagine - oh wait, yes I can.  That's what people did in "modern society" for about 200 years.

I'm not breaking any laws that I can see. I pay for the music, but at a different rate.

As for college, somehow I doubt the papers written 200 years ago, 100, 50, even 20 reflect what is required of me today.

Eclipse

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on December 29, 2009, 03:07:55 AM
I'm not breaking any laws that I can see. I pay for the music, but at a different rate.
Hmm...hosted on a Turkish site that is a know harbor for spam and malware, jeopardizing Russia admittance into the WTO, a $1.65 trillion
lawsuit by most major record labels.  Yep, no doubt they are legit.

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on December 29, 2009, 03:07:55 AM
As for college, somehow I doubt the papers written 200 years ago, 100, 50, even 20 reflect what is required of me today.

No, it was much harder, considering you had to kill a bird just to make a pen, though I'll grant you there was less history to remember.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Checked the hosting on the site...definitely not hosted in Turkey, or sending spam/malware to me.

As for school, there really isn't that much comparison. It's not just history, but developments, new theories, new techniques, etc.

Considering that each year the amount of information generated exceeds what was produced in thousands of years past...

FlyTiger77

Now, if someone could devise something to keep discussion board threads from getting hijacked or drifting, life would improve dramatically on CAPTalk.

Back to the cadet's original question: As was stated above, the term "sensitive" is frequently misused. Personally Identifiable Information is protected and includes data points such as name, SSAN, date of birth, mother's maiden name, etc. Most of that information should not be resident on anyone's computer at the squadron level, least of all a cadet's.

As stated earlier, FOUO information requires a degree of protection (placed in a locked drawer when not in use, if stored in a government facility without security or in a locked office if the facility does have security). However, very little of what CAP does presently will fall under even that minimum protection requirement.

Therefore, it is doubtful that you had truly "sensitive" CAP information on your computer to be compromised, although, you may have had potentially embarrassing information. For instance, if you were providing the Group commander with the lowdown on what is going wrong in your squadron without giving your chain of command the courtesy of your thoughts and allowing them to fix the issues, that information would not be sensitive, but the lack of loyalty and integrity it evidenced would be problematic at best. That or the other situations listed above may be enough to give rise to administrative action up to and including termination of membership. Those actions would be based on the information found by an investigation and not because your computer was infected per se.

V/R
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

ricks

I liken it to having a notebook in your car with general unit information and your car getting broken into. Now unless you have information in your notebook that is not supposed to be there it is no fault of your own if it gets stolen. Even if it is your fault, it is not CAP's business.

Daniel

okay, let me say a few things on this note...

I'm not in anyway computer-illiterate, I take EMMA's security very personally. I was using Norton Security at the time and I recently switched to AVG  and installed malwarebytes and adware which should increase my computer's security. Also, I get my music through http://www.lala.com which was recently acquired by Apple. I would like to say, I may be a CAP cadet, but I am also a teenager. I may be an alpha-nerd, whom passes every test and is in honours classes, but any sort of social life I have I intend on keeping. So, I'm going to use Facebook, Twitter, and MSN. While they may be security risk, I'm not going Ft. Knox security anyways.

All due respect, I think many of you all so often forget that your cadets are indeed just well-motivated teenagers!

C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Eclipse

Quote from: Daniel L on December 30, 2009, 12:42:59 AM
All due respect, I think many of you all so often forget that your cadets are indeed just well-motivated teenagers!

Which has nothing to do with whether or not your machine is secure...

Life is choice and the mitigation of risk, make the choices, mitigate the risk and move on, but don't be surprised when people warned you fire was hot and you get burned sticking your hand on the stove.

"That Others May Zoom"

Daniel

Quote from: Eclipse on December 30, 2009, 04:52:59 AM
Quote from: Daniel L on December 30, 2009, 12:42:59 AM

Which has nothing to do with whether or not your machine is secure...

Life is choice and the mitigation of risk, make the choices, mitigate the risk and move on, but don't be surprised when people warned you fire was hot and you get burned sticking your hand on the stove.

But not so not if you are smart and use potholder.... <<  didnt exactly fit, but what I was saying is Facebook is very much one of my only social things I do. Its not stupid keeping it as long as I don't click any fishy sounding exteral links!
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Eclipse

Quote from: Daniel L on December 30, 2009, 05:05:01 AMwhat I was saying is Facebook is very much one of my only social things I do.

Then perhaps some adjustment is necessary...

Facebook is nether new or social.  It is simply repackaged old-school tech that feed narcissism and substitutes poor grammar, incoherent sentences, and advertisement of unnecessary personal information, for real human interaction.

"That Others May Zoom"

MikeD

To drift us back on topic, I'd only consider a 2B for willful actions, or maybe just maybe for gross negligence.  I could see the latter only if it was really really stupid, or happened a lot, or (least likley) put lives at risk during the course of a mission (hard to think of an example there, maybe allowing access to current CD mission data?). 

Eclipse

In respect to the OP - I can't think of anything a cadet would have legit access to that would be considered "sensitive", and if the access was not legit, the 2b would be because of that, not a virus.

As others have stated, I can think of any number of bad online behaviors that people try to blame on a "virus", and generally they aren't fooling anyone, especially someone technical.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on December 30, 2009, 05:15:06 AM
Quote from: Daniel L on December 30, 2009, 05:05:01 AMwhat I was saying is Facebook is very much one of my only social things I do.

Then perhaps some adjustment is necessary...

Facebook is nether new or social.  It is simply repackaged old-school tech that feed narcissism and substitutes poor grammar, incoherent sentences, and advertisement of unnecessary personal information, for real human interaction.

Much like some of the folks who post here on CT?  ;D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Daniel

Quote from: Eclipse on December 30, 2009, 05:39:27 AM
In respect to the OP - I can't think of anything a cadet would have legit access to that would be considered "sensitive", and if the access was not legit, the 2b would be because of that, not a virus.

As others have stated, I can think of any number of bad online behaviors that people try to blame on a "virus", and generally they aren't fooling anyone, especially someone technical.

Well luckily it was a drafted schedule and a few contact cards which were in a folder called quite literally "CAP stuff"
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Eclipse

I can't imagine how that would cause much comment, let alone any repercussions.

Now, if you had the only copy of a SIMS db, were told repeatedly to back it up or remove it from an infected machine, you didn't and lost a lot of work, you could expect a 3000 PSI stare, and might be required to recreate the data, but I can't imagine anyone getting bounced for it.

Demotion?  Extreme, but maybe.  But not 2b'ed.

Delete the only known photo of POTUS presenting a CMH to your unit CC for saving his life at NESA?  Maybe.   ;D

"That Others May Zoom"

Daniel

I can honestly say after this conversation,

Yall probably think I'm a terrible cadet and a computer retard.. The first is true, second not so much.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Daniel L on December 30, 2009, 08:02:07 AM
I can honestly say after this conversation,

Yall probably think I'm a terrible cadet and a computer retard.. The first is true, second not so much.

I don't want to hear that coming from you or from any cadet! People have made mistakes in life; as long as you own up to it and learned your lesson you keep on keeping on.

I'll admit I've made some choices in life that I regret now that I look back on them (hindsight is 20/20), but I don't dwell on them or let them rule my life.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

RogueLeader

When I was a young 2d Lt, I made some coments here that got me into the hot seat with my Unit CC, and I'm still here. . .  Live and learn.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Daniel

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 30, 2009, 04:34:58 PM
When I was a young 2d Lt, I made some coments here that got me into the hot seat with my Unit CC, and I'm still here. . .  Live and learn.

Yea, I swore over FB and my old  unit CC got after me for it!
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416