Main Menu

AFIADL Issues...

Started by Kenneth King, August 20, 2019, 10:37:47 AM

Kenneth King

Greetings,

I am a Squadron Commander and attempting to get to Level II.  It seems I'm the one in the squadron with SUCKER tatoo'd to his forehead.   Anyway, I clicked on the link in eServices for the AFIADL course, and it's a dead link.  So is the one I found here: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=4303.0

Are there any other places to gain access to the AFIADL course?

Thanks.

Ozzy

ECI-13 course isn't valid anymore. It was woefully outdated.

For level 2 you need a tech rating, Officer basic course, and SLS. There are three blocks of instruction for OBC, and it is dine online. SLS is an in-person course.

OBC Block 1: https://www.capnhq.gov/CAP.LMS.Web/Course/course_start.aspx?c=3

Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

SarDragon

Quote from: Kenneth King on August 20, 2019, 10:37:47 AM
Greetings,

I am a Squadron Commander and attempting to get to Level II.  It seems I'm the one in the squadron with SUCKER tatoo'd to his forehead.   Anyway, I clicked on the link in eServices for the AFIADL course, and it's a dead link.  So is the one I found here: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=4303.0

Are there any other places to gain access to the AFIADL course?

Thanks.
Well, since that is an 11 year olde post, and AFIADL no longer has that name, a-a-a-and that course no longer exists, we need to go in a different direction.

The course you were looking for has been replaced by the CAP Officer Basic Course (OBC), which is taken online. Log in to eServices, and then go to Online Learning | Learning Management System. The scroll down to Professional Development, and go for it.

General Information

The OBC, hosted on the CAP Learning Management system, is comprises three blocks of instruction with each block examining CAP and leadership: the Personal Dimension of Leadership; the Professional Dimension of Leadership, and the Organizational Dimension of Leadership. Each block has several lessons included. Each lesson takes about 30 minutes to complete, and there is a total of 20 hours of instruction.
There is no end-of-course examination. To complete the OBC, members must successfully pass an open-book online quiz at the end of each lesson within the blocks. When all the lessons in Block 1 are complete, members move to Block 2, etc. After completing all 3 Blocks, your completion of the Officer Basic Course will be automatically recorded in eServices under your Professional Development Training.

Members will have 90 days to complete the OBC from the time they start the course. Members work individually, and can access the course at any time. Members have been able to complete the course in as little as two weeks with a large majority completing the course before the 90-day deadline. Each Block should take no more than 30 days.

More info here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

More importantly, CAPR 50-17 is your friend when it comes to the Senior Training program: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R050_017_AAC4BB3089BE0.pdf

(in this case, Chapter 4)

No place in the regulation does it say anything about ECI-13 or AFIADL for completion of Level II.

eServices notwithstanding (yes, there are plenty of dead ends and funky links with stuff stashed all over the place that don't correspond to reality), that should be your first stop.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

vorteks

Is there a Professional Development officer in your unit....?

THRAWN

Zounds. This is a good example of why squadron commanders should be required to have L2 as a qualifier. No matter how well intentioned a person is, if they don't have the knowledge of the program, they're going to have a real uphill battle.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: THRAWN on August 20, 2019, 02:05:31 PM
Zounds. This is a good example of why squadron commanders should be required to have L2 as a qualifier. No matter how well intentioned a person is, if they don't have the knowledge of the program, they're going to have a real uphill battle.

This.

I had a squadron commander who was the "Well, if nobody else wants it, I'll take it" second lieutenant. Upon his appointment as commander, he was promoted to first lieutenant. Didn't have UCC. Didn't have CLC. Only just took SLS a couple of months prior. Prior duty positions included recruiting and public affairs. Great intentions, but zero experience.

Unless you have a relatively strong group commander to help mentor the new squadron commander, the CC is left on his/her own. That's not acceptable. We need to do a better job taking care of people from above as well as from below.

Holding Pattern

Sometimes it is a matter of getting someone in the slot vs a squadron being deactivated.

Not ideal, but this is also why I believe one of my most important jobs over my 4 year command tenure is to make sure I have a replacement (preferably 2) in mind.

My last CC gave me 18 months of lead time as a deputy learning the ropes; I heartily wish every commander would take that idea to heart.

THRAWN

Quote from: Holding Pattern on August 20, 2019, 03:16:20 PM
Sometimes it is a matter of getting someone in the slot vs a squadron being deactivated.

Not ideal, but this is also why I believe one of my most important jobs over my 4 year command tenure is to make sure I have a replacement (preferably 2) in mind.

My last CC gave me 18 months of lead time as a deputy learning the ropes; I heartily wish every commander would take that idea to heart.

So deactivate now, or deactivate later. Putting an unqualified person in the chair just because they are there doesn't do the unit any favors. All it does is delay the inevitable.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

vorteks

Quote from: THRAWN on August 20, 2019, 03:20:37 PM

So deactivate now, or deactivate later. Putting an unqualified person in the chair just because they are there doesn't do the unit any favors. All it does is delay the inevitable.

Especially after the SUI ppl come a'knockin'

Spam

I've faced this devils choice with four or so of my units (in three different Groups) over the past couple of years. Most recently, we were forced to install a CSM (Cadet Sponsor Member, a parent in this case) after quickly upgrading him to 2LT, with the alternative being to shut down a unit which is deep in the mountains an hour or more away from the next nearest unit. This equals disbandment and the loss of all those cadets.

The good news is that as we've been installing new people, we've been pushing to offer TLCs (multiple ones... all over... thanks to people like Ozzy for putting them on - so glad we recruited you here on CapTalk prior to your move!) and we've been offering UCC and multiple SLS/CLCs (and the rare, justified online SLS/CLC when people work weekends or nights, are deployed, etc.). As part of the command to go forward, we've tried to ask for a plan staffed through GP/CC, including an internal staff development plan, a plan which details needs vs ability to share with other units, etc. We did make the choice to shut down one unit rather than accept risk there, which is always painful. Yet, that's command. Sometimes those "12 O Clock High" difficult calls need to be made.

Mr. King, best of luck to you (Been There!). May I suggest that, before SLS/CLC, you consider prioritizing Unit Commanders Course (UCC) and asking for it from your Wing HQ, and after that (if you command cadets), the Training Leaders of Cadets (TLC) course.

V/r
Spam

Holding Pattern

I've yet to see a "deactivate later" conversation happen due to these circumstances.

THRAWN

Quote from: Holding Pattern on August 20, 2019, 05:18:33 PM

I've yet to see a "deactivate later" conversation happen due to these circumstances.

After the illtrained, well meaning yet incompetent commander flushes the unit? Yeah, it happens.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Eclipse

Quote from: THRAWN on August 20, 2019, 05:19:32 PM
After the illtrained, well meaning yet incompetent commander flushes the unit? Yeah, it happens.

BTDT - and often makes things actually worse then just deactivating the unit, between members
fighting, gaining an inappropriate level of "ownership" due to "it's me or nothing attitudes", etc.,
and it often gets exported to other units, wing, etc., as hurt feelings and gossip carry over the ether.

When a charter is retired due to lack of interest, those who still want to play can seek membership elsewhere,
but when a unit is run into the ground by a poor CC, CAP often loses even those members.

Units do not exist in vacuums, especially nowadays in the world of "social" media.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on August 20, 2019, 05:40:56 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on August 20, 2019, 05:19:32 PM

BTDT - and often makes things actually worse then just deactivating the unit, between members
fighting, gaining an inappropriate level of "ownership" due to "it's me or nothing attitudes", etc.,
and it often gets exported to other units, wing, etc., as hurt feelings and gossip carry over the ether.

When a charter is retired due to lack of interest, those who still want to play can seek membership elsewhere,
but when a unit is run into the ground by a poor CC, CAP often loses even those members.

Units do not exist in vacuums, especially nowadays in the world of "social" media.

Perhaps that's something that needs to be amended in practice:
Why deactivate the unit, rather than putting it under the direct command of the group (if optional)?

Putting an inexperienced person into the commander role isn't, in itself, destructive and devastating. It's when that inexperienced person has no guidance or direction that things crumble.

A unit with 50 senior members will probably not collapse just because a second lieutenant took command. There's probably enough experience in there to help guide the unit and sustain what's already been implemented before the change of command.

A unit with 5 senior members is much more likely to struggle when a second lieutenant takes over. There isn't enough manpower as it is, and the commander may not know all of the gaps and duties that need to be fulfilled. I don't think the charter needs to be deactivated and completely shut down. It just needs more supervision and direction. Deactivation should be a last resort.

Spam

Hornet, I see where you're coming from, but often, Groups aren't an option.

Transferring them to Group doesn't change a business plan that's not working. It just shifts the burden from local inadequacy to (possible) remote inadequacy, and camouflages what is still a dysfunctional group, with broken processes, lost opportunities, and heightened risks for safety and financial issues and cadet protection problems. In many cases, a Group/CC is hours transit time away from the members in question, and available Group staff are as well. When the critical mass of the unit is already low, and the number and ratio of adequately trained members to provide supervision for cadets, remote control is possible only for a short time, and then deactivation is the last available risk measure.

Remember, when we accept risk by putting an undertrained 2LT in command, that's calculated and accepted with mitigating steps (is based on an assessment of their native skill and background, on the available GP level bandwidth to nursemaid and mentor to a full performance level within 6 mos, and on using the available staff from nearby units to do the same, etc.). When the Groups can't accept the commitment to provide CPP compliant weekly presence and supervision, let alone mentor. Group CCs must communicate that with 5 - 6 active members total, and only one or less active adult, the unit cannot meet required levels of programming and supervision. Group Commanders have to work with new and struggling unit commanders to help them write down realistic business plans and goals, and from those goals derive realistic schedules (crawl/walk/run) based on clearly defined local assets/commitments which assume that their nursemaids will wean the unit off the teat within six or so months.

In many cases, the dysfunctional behavior which resulted in local problems refuses to accept help. In some cases, personalities interfere where help is refused, or where cults of personality push away outsiders, hindering recovery. Five or six active cadets... one and a half adults around... that's a huge risk that can only be sustained for a few months without pulling the trigger if there's not an executable business plan to grow the unit back, or if the external support isn't proving to be helping. You can't help people perpetually when they grow accustomed to being taken care of, and refuse to man up/woman up and take charge of their destinies and those of their dependents. In such cases, after first working to help them build/rebuild/comply the wise decision is to thank the local members for their interest, transfer back any assets, and shut it down.

I have tried to not be perpetually micromanaging my Group Commanders, or worse yet skipping a link in the chain of command by dropping in to be Banquo's Ghost at local units, but Wing has a role in command Quality Assurance here as well. Wings first need to ensure that Group CCs are not just picking warm (or loud) bodies for command slots, but are announcing command slot availability and are emulating the available processes for higher command. At the very least, require a resume and a plan and goals. Then, Wings need to keep their fingers on the pulse of the Groups and units, to make sure that they're engaging frequently with their subordinate units checking on these issues, and rolling up any emergent training requests or trends to Wing Directors (of PD and CP, for example, to get an SLS or TLC scheduled in their AO). Don't ever mistake metrics for leadership, but without watching the metrics you can't manage. Without talking to the troops and their commanders you can't lead...

V/r
Spam

PS, to any of "my" Georgia units reading this, thanks mucho for your tolerance of my presence. We've made good things happen together. I'm anticipating heading back down to a local unit soon once they pick the new WG/CC and hope to still be working with y'all (small units and large ones, all).

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: vorteks on August 20, 2019, 03:24:51 PM

Hey, I resemble that remark.

Holding Pattern

As an aside back to the OP, I'll mention this:

If your wing commander hasn't already done so, please ask that you be assigned to the COMMAND track and be assigned a mentor. They can help out with specific PD issues like this for you and other squadron management issues.

Kenneth King

Well, I'd like to thank you all for your encouraging words.  And, your help.  I happened to see the AFIADL mentioned on a CAPF 45 and thought, what the heck, let's check it out.  I've been asked by some squadron members what it was and until now, didn't have an answer.  Now, I do.  I have completed Officers Basic, so no worries there, as well SEVERAL other on line courses, and Yeager.  Didn't study for the Yeager and still scored a 94% first try.  Not such the big deal I was led to believe.  I've taken SLS and TLC too.  Not to mention MS and MO, and GTM III qualified.  I will be attending UCC this weekend.  Not too bad for someone that's been in CAP for less than two years.  I will indeed ask my Wing Commander about being assigned to the Command Track and get a mentor assigned.  Thank you for all you do!

Eclipse

It sounds like you are a lot better prepared for command then your initial question insinuated.

The 45 is all but deprecated - while technically still required, it's only needed to track things not
in eServices.  The Cadet Form 66 is no longer used, nor the ES folders (if you still have those in
your personnel files).

A good way to get a start would be to cull the personnel files, destroy return pretty much everything,
and then go paperless.

It would also be a good idea to do an SUI self-assessment as part of turnover.

And if you haven't already, don't sign or approve the inventories until you have literally put your hands on
everything.

"That Others May Zoom"

Kenneth King

Well, funny thing.  There were NO personnel files when I took command.  NONE!  My wife (Personnel Officer) and I have been quite busy to say the least!  I began my command by correcting SEVENTEEN (17) SUI discrepancies!  We were RED in all areas (May 10th) and now, we are Yellow in all areas except Cadet Programs where we are in the Blue!  PROGRESS!  It's the little things.  Hey, things can only get better, right? 

Spam

Yeah, you'd be a low risk candidate in my book (grin). Best of luck to you.

FYSA, I just tried to enter a new company grade commander into the command track, and eServices refused to allow the entry. He had full and complete Level 1, and a tech track in another specialty, etc.  eServices claimed (going from memory here) that the member needed to have completed Level 2 to be entered into Command.  That still doesn't seem right to me, but I haven't found a source for that feature.

I'd be interested if you (or the rest of y'all) have any data on that. We need to get every penny of (non) pay to the people who serve in commands.

R/s
Spam

Eclipse

Quote from: Kenneth King on August 21, 2019, 01:17:58 AM
Well, funny thing.  There were NO personnel files when I took command.  NONE!  My wife (Personnel Officer) and I have been quite busy to say the least!  I began my command by correcting SEVENTEEN (17) SUI discrepancies!  We were RED in all areas (May 10th) and now, we are Yellow in all areas except Cadet Programs where we are in the Blue!  PROGRESS!  It's the little things.  Hey, things can only get better, right?

OK, wow.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Spam on August 21, 2019, 01:39:30 AM
FYSA, I just tried to enter a new company grade commander into the command track, and eServices refused to allow the entry. He had full and complete Level 1, and a tech track in another specialty, etc.  eServices claimed (going from memory here) that the member needed to have completed Level 2 to be entered into Command. 

You won't, it's not a thing.  Most likely another issue eservices, not caught yet because that particular track
is largely dead.

Last I had to deal with this, only the Wing CC, per se, could enter a command track.  Has that changed?

Edit: I guess it's a thing.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

Quote from: Eclipse on August 21, 2019, 01:53:57 AM
Quote from: Spam on August 21, 2019, 01:39:30 AM
FYSA, I just tried to enter a new company grade commander into the command track, and eServices refused to allow the entry. He had full and complete Level 1, and a tech track in another specialty, etc.  eServices claimed (going from memory here) that the member needed to have completed Level 2 to be entered into Command. 

You won't, it's not a thing.  Most likely another issue eservices, not caught yet because that particular track
is laregley dead.

Last I had to deal with this, only the Wing CC, per se, could enter a command track.  Has that changed?

Thanks, Bob, I appreciate it.  Yeah, the boss got selected for SER/CC, so we're running the shop interim until her successor is picked. My CV privs may not be allowing it, but I had previously entered people (new commanders and a couple of deputies) into the track. Now its not working for this guy, and I can't remember what Level the others were when I successfully entered them.

(Concur on the track... but I try to help, and I thought it might be material to Mr. King, the OP here).

Thanks again
Spam

ßτε

From CAPP 222, page 11:

Prerequisites for Enrolling in the Command Track

Before entering into the Command Track several prerequisites must be accomplished:
• Must have been a senior member for at least 1 year AND be a CAP officer.
• Complete Level II of the CAP Professional Development program (See CAPR 50-17).
• Be recommended by the unit commander and accepted by the wing commander.
• Be assigned a mentor by the wing commander. It's important that the commander and the trainee agree on the mentor assigned. The mentor must have a record of successful command experience in accordance with the overview above.

Fester

This seems rather closed-minded.

By the requirements you all have laid out, I am unqualified for my current position as a Squadron Commander.  I haven't graduated TLC or a UCC.  I didn't take SLS, I was credited for it due to previous Cadet Experience.  I didn't serve as an active Deputy before taking the reins.  Yet I took over from a Squadron CC that HAD taken all these courses.  And was leading a Squadron into the ground.  Who had an upcoming SUI in less than 2 months and was not AT ALL ready for it.  When I began getting us ready for our SUI, I did a self evaluation and we would have had enough discrepancies to be rated INEFFECTIVE.

Since that change in May, we have added 14 new members (a growth of 30.4%), have increased the engagement of our members, have gained back some of the members that were on the verge of leaving due to ineffective management and had only ONE discrepancy on our SUI.  One that was corrected before the report was even finalized by the Wing IG.

My experience has taught me that people rarely fit into the box you try to stuff them in.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Fester

Quote from: Kenneth King on August 21, 2019, 01:17:58 AM

I would encourage you to go paperless for your admin and personnel files.  There is very little that needs to be kept in a file system nowadays with eServices.  And paperless is so much easier.  Anything needed can be scanned and put into the file system.  The one I created is located on the Google Drive account associated with my Wing .gov email address.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

vorteks

Quote from: Fester on August 21, 2019, 06:16:08 AM

This seems rather closed-minded.

By the requirements you all have laid out, I am unqualified for my current position as a Squadron Commander.  I haven't graduated TLC or a UCC.  I didn't take SLS, I was credited for it due to previous Cadet Experience.  I didn't serve as an active Deputy before taking the reins.  Yet I took over from a Squadron CC that HAD taken all these courses.  And was leading a Squadron into the ground.  Who had an upcoming SUI in less than 2 months and was not AT ALL ready for it.  When I began getting us ready for our SUI, I did a self evaluation and we would have had enough discrepancies to be rated INEFFECTIVE.

Since that change in May, we have added 14 new members (a growth of 30.4%), have increased the engagement of our members, have gained back some of the members that were on the verge of leaving due to ineffective management and had only ONE discrepancy on our SUI.  One that was corrected before the report was even finalized by the Wing IG.

My experience has taught me that people rarely fit into the box you try to stuff them in.

:clap:

THRAWN

Closed minded? Because commanders are expected to have some basic qualifications before they take the flag? Not really. In your case, you have met the prerequisites because of the time and experience that you earned as a Cadet. Your predecessor, while trained and educated, did not have what it takes to be a good commander. In any organization, you'll find that there are minimums to be met, especially for management/leadership/command. CAP is and should be no different.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Holding Pattern

As an aside, this is what CAPR 20-1 (I) has to say on the subject:

Squadron commanders are appointed by the wing commanders and have command authority over their respective units. Prior to selection as a squadron commander, it is highly desired that candidates have completed the following requirements completed.
(1) Officer Basic Course
(2) Squadron Leadership School (SLS)
(3) Unit Commander Course (UCC)
Circumstances may dictate that an individual be appointed to the position of squadron commander without having these courses completed. In this case, the new squadron commander should complete CAP Pamphlet 40-2, Just in Time Workbook for New Unit Commanders, within 30 days of their change of command. The squadron commander should then complete the desired training courses as expeditiously as possible.