Hoping this is a media misprint...

Started by ♠SARKID♠, May 24, 2008, 06:13:22 PM

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JohnKachenmeister

I am apalled at the lengths people will go to wussify this organization.

Blanks can be fired safely.  If the weapon is incapable of firing projectiles, I don't see how even the dumbest cadet could put a cleaning rod down the barrel.

If the cadets are sharp enough to pull off a military funeral, they should be allowed to be on the firing party.
Another former CAP officer

Eclipse

What the program >should< be doesn't change what it >is<.

It again comes down to frequency/consistency of training and fudge factor - CAP says "no", and we still have units doing it.  If they said yes, before you know it we're doing it with rifles and blanks, and from there some goof shoots somebody because they forget to change the ammo from the deer hunting trip the night before.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 26, 2008, 03:29:51 PM

I am the last person you need to be associating "wussifying" CAP with.  

The fact is, the Air Force nor CAP would ever allow cadets to perform a firing party using blank ammunition.  Whether you like it or not, agree with it or not, and as ridiculous as it may sound, blank ammunition requires special handling and storage in the military.  Not to mention cost of ammunition and weapons capable of firing blanks.  A weapon that ONLY fires blanks is an option, thus not allowing for anything to come out the end of the barrel.  I have no idea what the regulations are for storage and maintenance, but I'm sure CAP and the AF would have requirements for such things and unlike color guard rifles that weigh a pound or two, we couldn't just throw such weapons in our squadron locker.

Could it be done?  Absolutely, but not with a bigger hassle than it is to get cadets out on a military firing range with military firearms instructors.  Cost, safety, accountability, training, all things that require a lot of consideration.

As a cadet, learning to do military funerals would have been one of the last things I would have wanted to do.  And as an army and air force veteran, I'd be disappointed to learn that a CAP honor guard of cadets or seniors were performing the ceremonies at my funeral.  I know how much training (and time) it takes to perform these duties with precision and not making a fool of yourself, and I just don't think CAP could handle that type of responsibility.  A VFW or American Legion honor guard would be better suited for rendering such honors.

As always your mileage and opinions will vary.
Serving since 1987.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Stonewall on May 26, 2008, 04:29:03 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 26, 2008, 03:29:51 PM

I am the last person you need to be associating "wussifying" CAP with.  

The fact is, the Air Force nor CAP would ever allow cadets to perform a firing party using blank ammunition.  Whether you like it or not, agree with it or not, and as ridiculous as it may sound, blank ammunition requires special handling and storage in the military.  Not to mention cost of ammunition and weapons capable of firing blanks.  A weapon that ONLY fires blanks is an option, thus not allowing for anything to come out the end of the barrel.  I have no idea what the regulations are for storage and maintenance, but I'm sure CAP and the AF would have requirements for such things and unlike color guard rifles that weigh a pound or two, we couldn't just throw such weapons in our squadron locker.

Could it be done?  Absolutely, but not with a bigger hassle than it is to get cadets out on a military firing range with military firearms instructors.  Cost, safety, accountability, training, all things that require a lot of consideration.

As a cadet, learning to do military funerals would have been one of the last things I would have wanted to do.  And as an army and air force veteran, I'd be disappointed to learn that a CAP honor guard of cadets or seniors were performing the ceremonies at my funeral.  I know how much training (and time) it takes to perform these duties with precision and not making a fool of yourself, and I just don't think CAP could handle that type of responsibility.  A VFW or American Legion honor guard would be better suited for rendering such honors.

As always your mileage and opinions will vary.

You are addressing two different things.

1.  Regulations on storage of weapons and ammunition.  A rifle adapted to fire ONLY blank ammunition is a ceremonial/salute rifle, and I think it can be stored in a metal locker.

2.  The capability of cadets to perform military funerals.  These DO require special training, and for reasons of image and age, I would require (If it were my program to run) that only cadet officers participate.  I think they CAN be trained to the very high standard of military funerals, and if they are, I think a squad of cadets in Air Force blues would look way sharper than a squad of old men in white shirts that the Legion or VFW would provide.

But at least you do not presume the level of incompetence that the previous writer expressed, indicating that the ceremonial rifles (That I have already said must be adapted to fire only blanks, but he wasn't paying attention) could double as deer-hunting rifles.
Another former CAP officer

flyerthom

Quote from: Stonewall on May 26, 2008, 12:38:01 AM

My personal opinion, CAP members should not partake in anything that requires something that goes boom, regardless if it shoots a projectile or not. 

No more beans and franks at the squadron picnic  :D

A compromise solution is an MOU with the local vets organization.
TC

SAR-EMT1

Still and all, now that the day has come and gone... did the CAP folks in this ceremony have in fact a firing party?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student