Hoping this is a media misprint...

Started by ♠SARKID♠, May 24, 2008, 06:13:22 PM

♠SARKID♠

This showed up in my google alerts this morning from a newspaper in Cicero, IL.  I'm hoping its just a misunderstanding by the newspaper.

QuoteEvent: Memorial Day observances
What to do: In place of the traditional Memorial Day parade, there are observances throughout St. Charles. At 5:45 a.m. at the Baker Community Center, 101 S. Second St., services will begin with an honor guard raising the U.S. flag, and the U.S. Civil Air Patrol firing squad will give a 21-gun salute. Next, members of the American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts and the Civil Air Patrol will proceed to the St. Charles South Cemetery on Seventh Avenue, where they will repeat the flag-raising ceremony and 21-gun salute and will decorate the graves of those who have died. The ceremonies will be repeated at the St. Charles North Cemetery, and again at Union Cemetery. A short ceremony also will be at 10 a.m. at the St. Charles Freedom Walk, located north of the downtown police station along the east side of the Fox River, north of Route 64.
Why: "We look forward to working with the St. Charles veteran organizations for next year's parade," said Mayor Donald DeWitte, whose office cited construction road closures and graduation ceremonies at both high schools among the reasons St. Charles American Legion Post 342 canceled the parade.
When: Monday morning, May 26
Where: Various locations
More information: American Legion at (630) 584-5166

What are they gonna do?  Yell "BANG!"?

Duke Dillio

We have a firing squad and he who shall not be named was not placed in front of them?

Eclipse

It has to be, and its on all the local wires as a "thing to do" this weekend.

Looking into it locally, though..   ::)

"That Others May Zoom"

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on May 24, 2008, 06:13:22 PM
This showed up in my google alerts this morning from a newspaper in Cicero, IL.  I'm hoping its just a misunderstanding by the newspaper.

QuoteEvent: Memorial Day observances
What to do: In place of the traditional Memorial Day parade, there are observances throughout St. Charles. At 5:45 a.m. at the Baker Community Center, 101 S. Second St., services will begin with an honor guard raising the U.S. flag, and the U.S. Civil Air Patrol firing squad will give a 21-gun salute. Next, members of the American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts and the Civil Air Patrol will proceed to the St. Charles South Cemetery on Seventh Avenue, where they will repeat the flag-raising ceremony and 21-gun salute and will decorate the graves of those who have died. The ceremonies will be repeated at the St. Charles North Cemetery, and again at Union Cemetery. A short ceremony also will be at 10 a.m. at the St. Charles Freedom Walk, located north of the downtown police station along the east side of the Fox River, north of Route 64.
Why: "We look forward to working with the St. Charles veteran organizations for next year's parade," said Mayor Donald DeWitte, whose office cited construction road closures and graduation ceremonies at both high schools among the reasons St. Charles American Legion Post 342 canceled the parade.
When: Monday morning, May 26
Where: Various locations
More information: American Legion at (630) 584-5166

What are they gonna do?  Yell "BANG!"?

Cap guns
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

Stonewall

Little D&C lesson here:

Firing Squad:  A squad formed to perform a military execution (generally speaking)

Firing Party:  A squad formed to fire volleys to render honors at a military funeral

I'm sure the dictionary may use them interchangably, but we try not to use "firing squad" when performing honors, especially within earshot of the family.
Serving since 1987.

Duke Dillio

^So I ask again, we have a firing squad and noone put HWSRN in front of them?  Geez...

Either way, I didn't think that CAP would have either a firing squad or a firing party.  Unless there is some way to get caps or something in our parade rifles....

Eclipse

Any firearms capable of firing are prohibited for use by CAP honor guards.

CAPM 52-16, Page 7
Weapons. There will be no firearms, air guns, paint guns or any device that could be used as a weapon at any cadet activity. The only exceptions to this policy are:
(1) Deactivated Firearms. Cadets may use facsimile or deactivated firearms only as part of an honor guard or color guard. A deactivated firearm is one that will prevent the insertion of ammunition or the firing of a weapon.  A facsimile is a copy that is not capable of firing ammunition.

CAPP 52-8, Page 5-6  (Honor Guard Manual)
1.3. Restrictions. CAP regulations are the standards that all CAP members follow. Some of these regulations impact the Unit Honor Guard. For example, CAP Regulation 52-16 states that devices that can
be used as a weapon are not allowed. Only non-operating (meaning not capable of firing) rifles are allowed.

Quoted from the regs, emphasis mine.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

It is possible for it to be a grooup of senior members who are acting as part of the firing party.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: Stonewall on May 25, 2008, 02:50:01 PM
Little D&C lesson here:

Firing Squad:  A squad formed to perform a military execution (generally speaking)

Firing Party:  A squad formed to fire volleys to render honors at a military funeral

I'm sure the dictionary may use them interchangably, but we try not to use "firing squad" when performing honors, especially within earshot of the family.

The various dictionaries do use them interchangeably. Which doesn't coincide in any manner with the drill related pubs from a couple of military branches.

In the various pubs for both the Army and the Air Force, the unit is referred to only as a "firing party". The term "firing squad" is not even mentioned in any of the D&C related pubs that I can find for either branch.

Just goes to show how much a lot of "D&C" is learned from the movies and television. And how much definitions can evolve.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Eclipse on May 25, 2008, 05:55:43 PM
Any firearms capable of firing are prohibited for use by CAP honor guards.

CAPM 52-16, Page 7
Weapons. There will be no firearms, air guns, paint guns or any device that could be used as a weapon at any cadet activity. The only exceptions to this policy are:
(1) Deactivated Firearms. Cadets may use facsimile or deactivated firearms only as part of an honor guard or color guard. A deactivated firearm is one that will prevent the insertion of ammunition or the firing of a weapon.  A facsimile is a copy that is not capable of firing ammunition.

CAPP 52-8, Page 5-6  (Honor Guard Manual)
1.3. Restrictions. CAP regulations are the standards that all CAP members follow. Some of these regulations impact the Unit Honor Guard. For example, CAP Regulation 52-16 states that devices that can
be used as a weapon are not allowed. Only non-operating (meaning not capable of firing) rifles are allowed.

Quoted from the regs, emphasis mine.

Define ammunition though.  If its a cap gun then theres no projectile.  I hardly call that ammunition.
As for not capable of firing, its grey.  Capable of firing what?  Projectiles?  Caps?

Turk

Nooo, nooo, he's just funnin' ya... "CAP" gun, get it?  ;)

"To fly is everything."  Otto Lilienthal

Eclipse

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on May 25, 2008, 09:22:36 PM
Define ammunition though.  If its a cap gun then theres no projectile.  I hardly call that ammunition.
As for not capable of firing, its grey.  Capable of firing what?  Projectiles?  Caps?

That's just it, its not gray. 

The text is clear, if it >fires<, its verboten.

"That Others May Zoom"

JohnKachenmeister

No, the text is NOT clear.

A weapon capable of firing only blank rounds for ceremonies is:

1.  Not capable of firing "Ammunition," and

2.  In my opinion completely legitimate to use for ceremonial purposes in CAP.

The regulation is to prohibit the use of live weapons by CAP members except in very limited and controled training environments.  It is not intended to cut CAP members out of participating in time-honored military ceremonies.
Another former CAP officer

Stonewall

Sitting here at Air Force Combat Arms school at Lackland AFB and just had classes identifying the different types of ammunition for firearms and believe it or not, "blanks" are considered ammunition by deffinition.  May not make sense, but that's what they're calling it.

I've seen soldiers get hurt from blanks and several people have died from being stupid, like throwing a cleaning rod down the barrel with a blank and shooting it "for fun".

My personal opinion, CAP members should not partake in anything that requires something that goes boom, regardless if it shoots a projectile or not. 
Serving since 1987.

♠SARKID♠

I further my argument by saying that a "cap" is a LOT different than a "blank".  As you've said, blanks can kill.  Caps on the other hand, well, I've set them off in my hand yielding no injury to myself.

Eclipse

Quote from: Stonewall on May 26, 2008, 12:38:01 AM
My personal opinion, CAP members should not partake in anything that requires something that goes boom, regardless if it shoots a projectile or not. 

Agreed, and I believe that is the intention.

Brandon Lee was killed by a "blank"-firing weapon, and anything which is going to go "bang" loud enough not to look silly
is going to involve risk, not the lease of which is the weapon blowing up in the member's face, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on May 26, 2008, 12:48:24 AM
I further my argument by saying that a "cap" is a LOT different than a "blank".  As you've said, blanks can kill.  Caps on the other hand, well, I've set them off in my hand yielding no injury to myself.

Using a "cap" would simply be embarassing and go along with people saying "look at that little kid, he's dressed up like a soldier and has a cap gun, isn't that cute".

You can't hear a cap from 20 feet away and you'd lose the affect of a firing party to render honors.  I've shot many blanks at military funerals and I think the entire family would look in disgust if they heard "poof" rather than a loud and thunderous "crack".
Serving since 1987.

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: lordmonar on May 25, 2008, 06:01:03 PM
It is possible for it to be a grooup of senior members who are acting as part of the firing party.

Yes! For the most part, what ever you do in your personal time is your business, and that is why it is OK for a group of senior members to do it. As long as you are not in your CAP uniform or acting as a agent of the Civil Air Patrol.

SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Stonewall on May 26, 2008, 12:58:18 AM
You can't hear a cap from 20 feet away and you'd lose the affect of a firing party to render honors.  I've shot many blanks at military funerals and I think the entire family would look in disgust if they heard "poof" rather than a loud and thunderous "crack".

If they don't make even a seasoned vet jump, they aren't worth the time - ditto if the team is not working the action of a bolt and ejecting a casing, which you hear hit the ground.

"That Others May Zoom"

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Stonewall on May 26, 2008, 12:58:18 AM
Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on May 26, 2008, 12:48:24 AM

Using a "cap" would simply be embarassing and go along with people saying "look at that little kid, he's dressed up like a soldier and has a cap gun, isn't that cute".

Point taken, hadn't thought of that.