2009 Winter National Board

Started by Angus, February 27, 2009, 01:52:08 PM

RogueLeader

Quote from: captrncap on February 28, 2009, 11:34:48 PM

I'm not sure I could follow but did it pass?  What was split in 2 parts? Thanks.

The whole proposal was split into two parts, the badge for BDU's/field uniforms and the rest. I believe that the first part was tabled until summer.  Then the other half discussion was lost due to no feed.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

DogCollar

Can anyone tell me what happened with the Chaplain Professional Development proposal?
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

arajca

From what I heard during the Chaplain's report, it passed.

DogCollar

Quote from: arajca on February 28, 2009, 11:59:43 PM
From what I heard during the Chaplain's report, it passed.

Thank you.

flyguy06

All these numbers you all are saying. 27jand 27i and 24 whatever. I know you guys are trying to save on typing ,but for those of us who dont know what all those numbers mean, could you tell us?

PHall

They're references for the agenda. You can get the agenda from e-services.

SarDragon

Quote from: flyguy06 on March 01, 2009, 02:34:40 AM
All these numbers you all are saying. 27jand 27i and 24 whatever. I know you guys are trying to save on typing ,but for those of us who dont know what all those numbers mean, could you tell us?

Quote from: PHall on March 01, 2009, 02:39:39 AM
They're references for the agenda. You can get the agenda from e-services.

The link's at the top of page 4, and repeated here:

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/NB_2009_Feb_Agenda_BD2E1427664DC.pdf

RTFM.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

I knew there was a reason to keep you around Dave! :clap:

Eclipse

Full summary (of these posts) - I was in training this weekend and missed the whole thing so this is all I gots.  If anyone has access to the draft minutes from their chain, that would be great.

Friday summary -

Agenda: http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/NB_2009_Feb_Agenda_BD2E1427664DC.pdf

Update:
- Consolidated maintenance is working well even though members think it is a pain in the butt.
- ACE program kids are not cadets, the program is for Character Development.
- NHQ Renovation; relocation complete, renovation will take 20 months (optimistically) and cost $5 million.

Mr. Tom Jones, AF Sec. office briefing

Now we will have a AF Col. basically full-time on CAP issues at the Sec. of AF office.  1st AF will have 3 CAP-focused AF positions.  The A3O department (homeland security) had 6 positions for CAP stuff, but most of them really spent most of their time on other stuff.  Restructuring that.

VSAF.  Center for Naval Analysis did a study of 1st year test program at 3 AFBs.  Had logistical problems (base access, CAC cards/token cards for computer use).  Hard to use volunteers during normal working hours.  Need to look at non-traditional times when vols are available.  Need to look at skills vols can bring to the table.  Bringing cadet in to hand out towels isn't a good use of CAP time, but a CAP IT expert might be something the AF could use.  AF retirees might be able to help with what they know from their career.   Jobs need to be something that the volunteers feel are important.  Need to look at how recruit volunteers.

Working on getting Pentagon badges for Courter and a few other high level CAP people.  Used to do it in the 90s apparently.

Courter invited to AF Reserves Policy Board Meeting.  Evidently have slots for 2 non-voting members of this board from CAP.

Want to have CAP brief various AF committees and councils on what we do.

Will get some more senior AF people to speak with CAP cadet Civil Leadership Academy.

Thinks need a better and more consistent relationship overall between CAP and the National Guard in all states.  Will speak with NG leader to encourage TAGs to have someone on their staff as a CAP contact so that we work closer with them.  For example, maybe have CAP help in the National Guard Youth Challenge program.  Maybe encourage academy graduates to move into CAP afterward.

Maybe look for partnerships with the AF Reserve.  No specifics.

Wants to see CAP included when people list the components of the Air Force.  (Active Duty, Guard, Reserve, Auxiliary).  Next time Mr. Jones orders his personal coin, he will have them make it so that CAP is listed with the other 3 components.

Courter briefing (what I saw of it)
o flights up 20%
ARCHER training up 300%
NESA attendance up 41%
Save 91 last year
CAP flights are 80% of 1st AF daily flights
50% of AFJROTC o-rides were from CAP.
AE membership up 44% to 1500
ACE Program has 7000 students in 8-5, 1800 students in 6-8.
55639 total CAP members
Expect to get 19 aircraft and 36 vehicles this year.

Consent agenda items approved:

3a. DA - Approval of the March 2008 National Board Minutes
3b. DP - Protecting Personally Identifiable Information.  Amended to strike "like CAP tests" as being a little too vague given all the rules specific to test control.
3c approved.  SET.  With some amendments, but we lost sound so didn't get all of them.
3d. DO - Removal of CAPR 60-11
3e. HC - Change of Designation for the CAP Chaplain Service
3f. ED - Professional Military Education Equivalency Time Limit
4.  Test Control Officers approved as proposed.
5.  Confidentiality of Internet Email - Tabled for further discussion by staff.  Need better definitions of "confidential", etc. -   Review of Membership Waivers for Unfavorable Criminal History Information.
Withdrawn.  Need to re-work proposal, include way to request waivers, more transparent process.
7.  Requirement for Criminal Background Check for Cadets over the age of 18 Years

Amended to strike 1st paragraph (background checks) and last line of paragraph 2.
Note that the agenda mentions that there are 2630 cadets between 18-21.

This is what was approved:
(2) a change to CAPR 35-3 requiring the termination of membership of any cadet who has been convicted of any offense (or has suffered a pattern of arrests) that would disqualify such cadet from senior membership in CAP as described in CAPR 39-2, paragraph 3-2, and subject to same waiver procedures currently in effect for senior members.

8.  CAP Member Standardized Recognition Program.  withdrawn.

9.  Request for Study of SSN Substitute.  NHQ will study SSN substitute and discuss solution with AF/Army JROTC in hopes that it will allow more to join. Evidently some public charter school wants to pay for membership for CAP for entire study body.  School can't ask students for SSNs, so is why we need substitute.   Some concern expressed that this would let school decide who is a CAP member by deciding which kids can go to the school.
motion failed.

10.  Aircraft/Vehicle movement.  Tabled for later this meeting.  Probably will be removing references to "member".  Don't want to get into a member travel approval system.

11.  CAP Member Standardized Discipline Program
Postponed indefinitely, since they're already working on a draft reg on adverse membership actions.

12.  AE Officer of the Year –Name Change.
Amended to have a "competition" to decide who the award would be named after.  (Hmm, was this done for all the other awards we renamed?)

22 withdrawn
23 withdrawn
24 postponed to Pulic trust task force.

26 a, b, c passed.
27a, to change the silver braid on the TPU to blue, fails.
27f - postponed
27g - Failed due to a lack of a second
27 H Ammended to  strike 'of Wing Commanders approval."  Passed
27i - postponed
27j - postponed

"That Others May Zoom"

DogCollar

Can you tell me if 14 was at all amended?  There was the piece about SLS and CLC being available on-line (which is not going to happen...from what I've been told) plus there was some comment in the agenda about grandfathering existing chaplains (which I wouldn't be in favor of).  If it passed, then the promotion of Chaplains takes it completely out of the realm of Professional Appointments/Promotions (which I would NOT object too).

arajca

I don't think anyone here caught that part. The only thing I heard about it pasing was during they Chaplain's report, when he expressed profuse thanks to the board for passing it.

FW

The actual agenda item was not amended.  However, the background information was incorrect and, that was corrected.  Chaplains must now go thorough the PD program to be promoted past their initial appointment grade

Smithsonia

This was on the agenda but I saw nothing of it. Did anybody catch Col. Blascovic's historian report? Was there a briefing or was it just filed? Thanks from a Historian, of course.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

RickFranz

He gave a briefing, don't remember to much about it.  I had a lot going on in the background at home.  The one point I do remember is that he wanted all units to send him a copy of any proposed Unit patch so that he could screen them for problems.  Like using a copyrighted item or logos.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

CAPSGT

*bump*

Has anyone gotten information through other sources as to what happened with Agenda items 13-21? 

I've had several wing/region commanders in the past who would send out their own notes on everything a little while after NB/NEC meetings.  I haven't seen anything come out in my neck of the woods yet, was wondering if anyone else had gotten something like that, which might include the information on those items.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

FW

According to my notes,  Agenda items 13,14,16and 17 were approved.  Agenda items 15 and 18-20 were not and agenda item 21 was withdrawn.

CAPSGT

MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

BuckeyeDEJ

So can anyone recap the agenda for those of us who don't want to ping-pong between CAPTalk and the agenda PDF?

Please?

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

alamrcn

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Eeyore

^ +2, I tried and it just got too tedious, I have a small computer screen.