US Civil Air Patrol Name Rescinded

Started by sardak, November 04, 2007, 01:13:02 AM

Lancer

Quote from: jaybird512 on November 09, 2007, 06:50:39 PM
The strips cost $1.35 each and we all know we'll be given years worth of phase in time to switch back.  I think we'll survive.

Actually $1.40 :-) ..and for most that's x 2-3. Then you add in the $9.25 for the brushed silver nameplate and $3.00 Blue two line Corporate nameplate, oh, and let's not forget about the command patch, there's another $2.85 (not including the Velcro). Let's not forget about another $7.00 for shipping.

That's close to $30 I'm sure some folks would have rather spent elsewhere.

Will we survive, sure, but that's not the point.

jb512

I'm sorry to hear that you're getting ripped off... or got ripped off.  You're not shopping at the right place.

The point is that we're "crying over spilled milk", as the saying goes.

O-Rex

You know, in the grand scheme of things, there are trade-offs:

Yeah, it's a bummer that some of us got snookered with the U.S-thing, but the up-side is that we got rank on the hat, which was a sticking point for alot of us for years.

Perhaps I missed it on someone's post (this is a long thread) but any decision on the Command Patch? Corporate? USAF Aux? Right now I have a couple for the former for blue bags, and the latter for green bags.

Thank Goodness for velcro.

Does all this mean that the "branding initiative" is also going away?

jimmydeanno

Quote from: O-Rex on November 10, 2007, 03:27:54 AM
Does all this mean that the "branding initiative" is also going away?

Depends on what initiative you're talking about...

I think that a new brand is in the works already that utlizes the pre-existing name of Civil Air Patrol.

What would you think if the individual missions were branded separately?  Similar to how BSA brands each of their programs separately...Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Venture, etc...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RiverAux

I notice that "US" has been dropped from the cover of the Nov-Dec Volunteer. 

MIKE

Mike Johnston

RiverAux

Changing the magazine name, changing what goes in press releases, etc. does not require a regulation and/or interim change letter.  Just like there wasn't one adding "US" the title of the magazine in the first place.

The only thing that needs an interim change letter to rescind the 7-10-07 Interim Change Letter regarding name tapes and tapes.  Since it took them about 4 months after the change was approved to issue that letter, I think we can expect something in a few more months. 

PHall

Quote from: RiverAux on November 18, 2007, 10:13:25 PM
Changing the magazine name, changing what goes in press releases, etc. does not require a regulation and/or interim change letter.  Just like there wasn't one adding "US" the title of the magazine in the first place.

The only thing that needs an interim change letter to rescind the 7-10-07 Interim Change Letter regarding name tapes and tapes.  Since it took them about 4 months after the change was approved to issue that letter, I think we can expect something in a few more months. 

According to CAPR 5-4, Para 4a and b, ICL's are good for only 180 days for a temporary change and 90 days for a permanent change.

Time limit has already expired for a "permanant" change and will expire in January for a "temporary" change.

In theory they could just do nothing and the problem will take care of itself.

RiverAux

I think you misunderstood.  Not all ICLs "expire" at all.  I had thought that was the case based on comments here and was going to say something about it when I made my comment, but prudently decided to check the actual regulation. 

Here is what it says:
Quote4. Interim Change Letters (ICL). Situations requiring immediate action due to a state of emergency, an unforeseen circumstance involving the preservation of life or property, or other contingencies that may require prompt action may result in an interim change letter being issued outlining immediate policies. ICLs may be issued by any level of command unless specifically limited or prohibited by the regulation or manual governing that subject matter. Issuance of policies by ICL is a temporary measure.
a. ICLs outlining immediate policies to be followed for a limited time will be issued with a stated expiration date. Such expiration dates shall not be more than 180 days from the date the letter was issued.
b. ICLs outlining immediate policies that are intended to become permanent shall be incorporated into an appropriate publication within 90 days of the date the letter was issued.
ICLs issued under 4a for limited time policies would expire based on a specific expiration date (not more than 180 days) that would have been included in the ICL itself.  However, this ICL wasn't issued under that provision.

Since they envisioned the US name tapes to be a permanent change, this ICL was obviously issued under 4b.  Note the language does not say they expire in 90 days.  It says that they need to be incorporated into a regulation within 90 days.  It does not say that they expire if they are not put in a regulation within that time frame. 

As we all know, the process for actually issuing regulations has been screwed up for years and the leadership has discussed streamlining the process several times.  Note that there are a whole string of ICLs for 39-1 going back several years that haven't yet been put into the actual regulation, but everybody still takes them as gospel. 

Smokey

Just a note.....got my picture ID card yesterday......still has  US Civil Air Patrol on the top line.   And I renwed after the NEC mtg. The cards were made up just last week according to National. 
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

thp

I was told that the name would remain Civil Air Patrol too. My squadron as well as many others have already purchased the new emblems for our aircraft. Cadet binders have U.S. Civil Air Patrol command patch on them also.

SarDragon

New stickers are in the works for the A/C - red rectangles to go over the US part. Source - RUMINT from a Nat staffer.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RiverAux

Thats just silly. 

But, if true that means that the command patch is probably going to change again to have the US come off of it.  I never minded the US on that patch (though I prefered the Air Forc Aux version).  I just didn't have the foresight to see that it was the first step in a plan to change our name. 

LtCol White

Quote from: RiverAux on November 23, 2007, 09:29:56 PM
Thats just silly. 

But, if true that means that the command patch is probably going to change again to have the US come off of it.  I never minded the US on that patch (though I prefered the Air Forc Aux version).  I just didn't have the foresight to see that it was the first step in a plan to change our name. 

The NHQ Uniform committee is going to recommend going back to the MAJCOM patch with US AIR FORCE AUXILLIARY on it. Many have not changed to the new one and there is still a large supply of the original. This patch was already appoved by HQ USAF and it was only CAP that changed it so NB can approve this and its done.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on November 23, 2007, 03:40:50 AM
New stickers are in the works for the A/C - red rectangles to go over the US part. Source - RUMINT from a Nat staffer.

Why would it be a red rectangle?  A blue one would cover the US and not be readily visible.

"That Others May Zoom"

mikeylikey

Quote from: LtCol White on November 23, 2007, 11:12:16 PM
Thats just silly. 

The NHQ Uniform committee is going to recommend going back to the MAJCOM patch with US AIR FORCE AUXILLIARY on it. Many have not changed to the new one and there is still a large supply of the original. This patch was already appoved by HQ USAF and it was only CAP that changed it so NB can approve this and its done.

Woo-Hoo   YES!!!!!
What's up monkeys?

jeders

Quote from: mikeylikey on November 24, 2007, 12:37:34 AM
Quote from: LtCol White on November 23, 2007, 11:12:16 PM
Thats just silly. 

Woo-Hoo   YES!!!!!

Ditto. Hopefully once again, my procrastination will pay off.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

RiverAux

Excellent!  Since I haven't been able to fit in my flight suit since the change, I never made it and the old patch is still on it.  Assuming I can eventually get back in I'll be good to go (unless I need to sew on a name badge).

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on November 23, 2007, 11:13:30 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on November 23, 2007, 03:40:50 AM

Why would it be a red rectangle?  A blue one would cover the US and not be readily visible.

OOPS! Busted. It would be blue rectangles for the doors, and red for the tails. (But I don't recall seeing any tails with US on them.)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret