US Civil Air Patrol Name Rescinded

Started by sardak, November 04, 2007, 01:13:02 AM

sardak

I received this email today.  Note that the subject line was "Signature Blocks" but the the reference to US Civil Air Patrol was not that specific.  Awaiting the official notification.

Subject: Signature Blocks

Ladies and Gentlemen,
The NEC voted to remove all references to "US Civil Air Patrol" and replace
them with "Civil Air Patrol".  Additionally, we were informed by national
legal that it is inappropriate to use the words "US Air Force Auxiliary" in
our signature blocks.  Please revise your signature blocks like mine below.

Best regards,

Russ

Russell E. Chazell, Col, CAP
Commander
Rocky Mountain Region
Civil Air Patrol

Mike

mikeylikey

^  Really, I thought somewhere, possibly the Congressional Record it stated that the the name of our organization was the "Civil Air Patrol", and may be refered to as "United States Air Force Auxiliary".  Are we NOW distancing ourselves from that?  Also, glad to see the revocation of US Civil Air Patrol......perhaps the nametapes will follow as well.   
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

I would welcome this, despite the fact that it will cost me a couple bucks in replacement nametapes.

I did not see this on the published agenda, and no one has mentioned it, although I suppose it could have been discussed today in the non televised session.

Considering that this will have a fair financial impact on both members and the organization in that this will revert name tags, nametapes, and possible re-badge vehicles and airplanes (again).

I think I'll wait for something a bit more official through my chain before grabbing a needle.

I disagree with the statement about references to USAF Auxiliary being inappropriate.  We are both in certain circumstances, and as long as it is used together with "Civil Air Patrol" I believe it adheres to published regs on the subject, (assuming they are any).  It >does< say that on my nametag.

Correct me if I am wrong, but to my understanding, the  Legal Directorate is not in the chain of command and cannot issue directives, to the membership.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

It is the CAP Constitution that has this language:
Quote2.1 The name of Civil Air Patrol may be stated by any of the following:
a. "Civil Air Patrol"
b. "Civil Air Patrol, incorporated under Special Act of Congress approved July 1, 1946, Public Law 476, 79th Congress"
2.2 Each unit, including National Headquarters, shall use a name expressing its designation, the words "Civil Air Patrol" and may also refer to its status as the United States Air Force Auxiliary as set forth in regulations.
2.3 The corporate seal shall have inscribed thereon "United States Air Force Auxiliary--Civil Air Patrol" and appears as follows:

If it is true that "US" CAP is gone.  Hooray!  However, they're going to have go change back some regs and get AF approval again before it would become official. 

But, technically they would be right about the signature block, but its hard to take that position when we use USAF Aux in our corporate seal. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on November 04, 2007, 02:00:13 AM
If it is true that "US" CAP is gone.  Hooray!  However, they're going to have go change back some regs and get AF approval again before it would become official. 

What was changed?  I didn't think anything was actually changed or re-written, it was just an arbitrary directive by (he who shall remain nameless).

That's been the argument by many people here about the whole idea - that no one ever actually did the legwork to make it "legal".

"That Others May Zoom"

Psicorp

No kidding, I won't miss the "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" one bit.  I can see them wanting "Civil Air Patrol" included if one uses "USAF Auxiliary", but to say what we can't refer to ourselves as the USAF Auxiliary means we need to get our Congressional charter changed.  Or someone needs to read our Congressional Charter, either one.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

RiverAux

Whether you like it or not (I didn't), they did incorporate the "US" CAP into the uniform regulations through this interim change letter http://level2.cap.gov/documents/2007_07_uniform_changes.pdf and they will have to back themselves out of it just the same way. 

All the other U.S. Civil Air Patrol stuff was not "official" in the same way and can be just as easily reversed -- for example, taking it out of the title of the magazine.

By the way, has anyone else gotten this email or some variation of it yet?  Just looking for some confirmation.

mmouw

It figures, I just had all of my BDUs altered with the new US Civil Air Patrol. Great!!!
Mike Mouw
Commander, Iowa Wing

MIKE

Quote from: Psicorp on November 04, 2007, 02:54:03 AM
No kidding, I won't miss the "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" one bit.  I can see them wanting "Civil Air Patrol" included if one uses "USAF Auxiliary", but to say what we can't refer to ourselves as the USAF Auxiliary means we need to get our Congressional charter changed.  Or someone needs to read our Congressional Charter, either one.

I think this is directed more at those who were putting JOHN Q. PUBLIC, Lt Col, USAF Aux or derivatives in their sig elements instead of using the format specified by CAPR 10-1  Attachment 2, which IIRC had been addressed in the past.

Mike Johnston

IceNine

exactly the reason my BDU's were never changed

Whats that old saying...  "If you don't like the weather, just wait a couple minutes it'll change"
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: IceNine on November 04, 2007, 03:54:35 AM
Whats that old saying...  "If you don't like the weather, just wait a couple minutes it'll change"

Wisconsin to the letter!

I was kind of on the fence for the whole USCAP thing.  I didn't like it because it sounded a little hokey and a little wordy for me.  But it was kind of nice because it made us sound a little more independent and had a more authoritative impact.  All in all, it's probably for the better.  Think of how it would sound if the Red Cross started calling themselves the "United States Red Cross"  (I know, kind of weak considering they operate internationally  :-\ but I'm just trying to make an analogy here)

Major Carrales

I like the "Ice Nine" moniker.  Is this a Cat's Cradle reference?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

floridacyclist

I understand some of the points behind it (I've seen the references to Nevada CAP, NY CAP, FL AP etc), but I'm just not sure if this is the way to handle it or if maybe our PAOs couldn't do a better job of educating the press in this area...assuming that the press is educable, which in my experience is not a given.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

wingnut

I just don't get it, is the NHQ that wimpy to be pushed around by one person, I have a concern in the leadership of CAP, what are the other  mandates that are going to be "reversed", is this the French revolution?? were the original decisions carefully thought out in the first place? I am embarrassed by the whole charade. Will this board be reversed in three months. You cannot blame this on one man. Why not concern themselves with real operational issues and less on silver braid. Maybe CAP needs to be taken over again by the USAF, have the members vote on that.

IceNine

Quote from: Major Carrales on November 04, 2007, 06:27:35 AM

Why yes it is, I'm glad that someone caught on to that.  Its my favorite book
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

mikeylikey

Quote from: wingnut on November 04, 2007, 09:03:20 AM
I just don't get it, is the NHQ that wimpy to be pushed around by one person, I have a concern in the leadership of CAP, what are the other  mandates that are going to be "reversed", is this the French revolution?? were the original decisions carefully thought out in the first place? I am embarrassed by the whole charade. Will this board be reversed in three months. You cannot blame this on one man. Why not concern themselves with real operational issues and less on silver braid. Maybe CAP needs to be taken over again by the USAF, have the members vote on that.

Ummm....yes it can.  His ideas, his push, his signature on the change letters, before the issues were even approved by AF or CAP Corporate.

I am glad to see the "US CAP" thing starting to be pushed out......I do feel bad if it costs members some $$ though.   
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

Please get your facts straight -- The nametape change was approved at the National Board in March and the uniform change letter did not come out until July. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: IceNine on November 04, 2007, 02:07:55 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on November 04, 2007, 06:27:35 AM

Why yes it is, I'm glad that someone caught on to that.  Its my favorite book

I thought I was the only one who thought that was interesting.  That is one of the most "chilling" end of the world books I have ever read.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

mikeylikey

Quote from: RiverAux on November 04, 2007, 02:28:16 PM
Please get your facts straight -- The nametape change was approved at the National Board in March and the uniform change letter did not come out until July. 

BUT it was him. 
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on November 04, 2007, 02:28:16 PM

Wasn't this one of the famous non-agenda, last-minute ram-rods?

"That Others May Zoom"