CAP [Transformers]: "More than meets the skies"

Started by JC004, August 10, 2007, 04:20:37 AM

MIKE

If you want to get technical, most of those ICLs have been invalidated by the change to CAPR 5-4.
Mike Johnston

JC004

Quote from: MIKE on August 12, 2007, 12:06:05 AM
If you want to get technical, most of those ICLs have been invalidated by the change to CAPR 5-4.

"working to get it into regulation" isn't a real helpful stance by NHQ, either...agh

As much as a fan of the original Transformers are I personally am not to crazy about using this.  It's campy in the modern day.  I think we need to come up with something much, mucher, cooler.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

RiverAux

I think it is extremely possible that they came up with this without having any idea of the Transformers connection. 

Was this expression started with the transformers or did they just adopt it?

jb512

"Finding themselves on a strange new planet, the autobots and decepticons board Cessna 172s on their way to mission base..."

"Upon arrival Optimus Prime calls in his Capflight and is overheard by Megatron..."

"The battle that ensues forces Bumblebee and Starscream to duel until overpowered by reenforcements from Shockwave..."

A.Member

Quote from: RiverAux on August 12, 2007, 02:09:34 AM
I think it is extremely possible that they came up with this without having any idea of the Transformers connection. 

Doesn't matter.   If that's what people are associating it to now (and many clearly are), that's what matters.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

JC004

Quote from: A.Member on August 12, 2007, 05:17:29 AM

Doesn't matter.   If that's what people are associating it to now (and many clearly are), that's what matters.

just really, really terrible timing

ZigZag911

Can't claim to be terribly happy with it....on the other hand, who remembers "Eyes of the Home Skies" anymore??

Assuming anyone knew it in the first place!

Somone ought to collect all these CAP marketing tags of the past 15-20 years and put them to music....maybe a rap, or something country!

docspur

Quote from: jaybird512 on August 12, 2007, 03:51:41 AM
"Finding themselves on a strange new planet, the autobots and decepticons board Cessna 172s on their way to mission base..."

"Upon arrival Optimus Prime calls in his Capflight and is overheard by Megatron..."

"The battle that ensues forces Bumblebee and Starscream to duel until overpowered by reenforcements from Shockwave..."

Ok, now you must be punished.  LET THE FLOGGING BEGIN!

Capt DL Spurlock, Commander
NCR-MO-127 - Trail of Tears Composite Squadron

Group IV Safety Officer
Missouri Wing

docspur

I just can't believe a CAP member would come up with it.  I bet there's an Ad/PR Agency laughing all the way to the bank... with our money. 

Group IV Safety Officer
Missouri Wing

floridacyclist

I'm going to try to convince myself that this slogan finally pays homage to the ground-pounders..that CAP is more than a bunch of zipper-suited Sungods.

Who am I kidding?
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

docspur

I agree with you there.  I'm a member of a non-flying squadron (we have no pilots, no planes...have to beg o-rides from the good ol' boys club squadrons that are all pilots...and it doesn't work out very well).  We specialize in ES and ground team.  I'm really proud of that...but I do love to fly.

Anyone want to guess how hard it is to train to be an observer or scanner without a plane or pilots in your squadron?  I was actually told this by a pilot of a pilot's club squadron: "O-rides are for cadets.  SM's of non-flying squadrons do not get rides, thus they need no training in observer/scanner areas."

ummm... i'm not bitter...really i'm not. see, i'm smiling.  ;D

Group IV Safety Officer
Missouri Wing

jb512

This week's uniform change has been announced:

Officers will have a choice between the Autobot blues or the Decepticon greys.  Ties are still optional.

jb512

And here's the new CAP Command Patch:

...mandatory wear date of March 2051.

DrDave

Love that "new" MAJCOM patch -- well done!

I attended the entire two-day PAO Academy and was present when the new marketing slogan and branding plan was announced. 

No one made any reference to Transformers.  I heard no unofficial comment or discussion either during the breaks or the social networking event.  In fact, the first (and only) place I've seen the connection mentioned is here on CAPtalk.

Simply put, it wasn't brought up throughout the entire professional two-day meeting and training seminars.  While "fun", I doubt it will be mentioned by most PAO's either.

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

jb512

Quote from: DrDave on August 12, 2007, 03:46:37 PM
Love that "new" MAJCOM patch -- well done!

I attended the entire two-day PAO Academy and was present when the new marketing slogan and branding plan was announced. 

No one made any reference to Transformers.  I heard no unofficial comment or discussion either during the breaks or the social networking event.  In fact, the first (and only) place I've seen the connection mentioned is here on CAPtalk.

Simply put, it wasn't brought up throughout the entire professional two-day meeting and training seminars.  While "fun", I doubt it will be mentioned by most PAO's either.

Dr. Dave

I didn't even know it was changing until this thread.  Was it announced beforehand and was it put out to the membership for suggestions?  I would've tested it out here in the Captalk at a minimum since this seems to be the hangout for the largest nationwide audience.  They need to clear these things through us.   ;)

If the movie hadn't just come out it might not've mattered as much except for those of us who used to watch the original cartoon as kids.  The timing was pretty bad and I actually thought it was a joke until I read more into this thread...

MIKE

I don't think it is fair to use the Autobots emblem... Should use the Decepticons.  >:D
Mike Johnston

jb512

Quote from: MIKE on August 12, 2007, 04:09:24 PM
I don't think it is fair to use the Autobots emblem... Should use the Decepticons.  >:D

It is the Decepticons!  (Already thought that one through...)  ;)

MIKE

Mike Johnston

jb512

At least I finally found a good image for my sig...

How do I get my text to line up to the right of it?