CAP [Transformers]: "More than meets the skies"

Started by JC004, August 10, 2007, 04:20:37 AM

MIKE

You have to code it as a table... I'll send you it.
Mike Johnston

Tubacap

Had my wife stop short of looking at the computer and asked "Honey, what is the first thing that comes to mind when you hear 'More than meets the skies'"  She thought for a moment, and said "Transformers"  and then proceeded to sing the song!  This could be a lot of fun.  Stopping people in the streets and asking them their thoughts.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

jb512

LittleIronPilot

I am knew to CAP, but I do not think it is that bad of a slogan. The more I get involved in CAP the more I am finding out that there are a LOT of squadrons without planes, or even pilots. Those squadrons still do really good work, mostly ground team stuff and of course cadet training.

It is nice to recognize them and show that CAP IS more than just planes in the sky.

jb512

Quote from: LittleIronPilot on August 12, 2007, 04:47:51 PM
I am knew to CAP, but I do not think it is that bad of a slogan. The more I get involved in CAP the more I am finding out that there are a LOT of squadrons without planes, or even pilots. Those squadrons still do really good work, mostly ground team stuff and of course cadet training.

It is nice to recognize them and show that CAP IS more than just planes in the sky.

We're not knocking anybody or the work that they do, and more people have been pounding the ground than flying for decades.  There are just a few of us who think we could've come up with our own slogan or at least field tested it a bit.

Skyray

In some ways, it comes down to the fact that we recruit wrong.  Instead of stressing the opportunity to mold young minds and attract them to careers in aviation and the military, much of the recruiting I have seen stresses "Free Flying."  I think I was the only Cadet Orientation Pilot in my area who ever bothered to get out the manual and review the Cadet Orientation Syllabus and follow it.  Most of my peers simply loaded three cadets in a 172 and signed off whatever flight they had next after boring holes in the sky for a while.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

DrDave

I'm also for field testing of items, whether proposed uniform changes, or policy changes (i.e. thankful for the standard review policy for proposed new CAP regulations).

As I understand it, this new marketing slogan is geared directly to the general public who, focus groups and surveys found, know very little about CAP and what they do know they almost completely attribute to our flying abilities and missions.

With only 10% of our membership actually involved in flying (as mentioned several times during the PAO Academy), this new marketing and branding campaign will try to also educate the public about all the other things we do.

Could they have come up with a different slogan?  I dunno if I could have done any better, I'm not too snappy with these mental gymnastics and snappy "sound bites".  (Plus my personal favorite of "Serve your country without getting shot at." seemed a little negative ...)

Plus it's now approved by the National Board, so full steam ahead.

How about a new topic where we suggest slogans?  Could be fun, could be silly, but also could be possibly useful to unit PAO's and Recruiting and Retention Officers.

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

A.Member

Quote from: DrDave on August 12, 2007, 03:46:37 PM
I attended the entire two-day PAO Academy and was present when the new marketing slogan and branding plan was announced. 

No one made any reference to Transformers.  I heard no unofficial comment or discussion either during the breaks or the social networking event.  In fact, the first (and only) place I've seen the connection mentioned is here on CAPtalk.
How old are you and what was the average age of the people in the room?  No answer needed.  The point is that I'm sure most are well beyond the age to recognize Transformers (ie. disconnected from the "younger" members - less than ~40 years of age).
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

RiverAux

Sorry to tell you this boys, but those who remember the original Transformers are slowly slipping into the old guy category -- just had my 20th high school reunion last month!

jb512

Quote from: RiverAux on August 13, 2007, 02:41:33 AM
Sorry to tell you this boys, but those who remember the original Transformers are slowly slipping into the old guy category -- just had my 20th high school reunion last month!

...and I'm not too far behind you.

JohnKachenmeister

I remember my son playing with Transformers.  I could never figure them out.
Another former CAP officer

mikeylikey

^ I remember a father of one of my friends who couldn't figure out the transformer either.  He took it and smashed on the sidewalk.  Needless to say that is one of those memories I wish I could forget.
What's up monkeys?

MIKE

I remember playing with Transformers.  I had an Optimus Prime with the semi-trailer base and everything.
Mike Johnston

Psicorp

I still have most of my collection, bought them back when they were mostly metal with sharp edges  ;D
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Major Carrales

I've seen every episode and own a lot of them.  My brother had Optimus Prime, between the two of us, we had them all.

My father loved them...thus, we had the BIG stuff, like OMEGA SUPREME, TRIPTICON and MEXTOPLEX.  We even have the Japanese Series translated by Australians.

To tell you the tuth, I liked the early episodes set in 1984-85 to the ones set in the 2005-06 era.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

mikeylikey

Now that the movie is out.......those old toys are fetching some nice $$.  To bad I grew up and stopped playing with toys. 
What's up monkeys?

Gunner C

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 10, 2007, 01:59:52 PM
I don't care what all you naysayers think...

"More than meets the skies" is still better than:

1.  Army Strong.

2.  The Army of One.

3.  Cross Into the Blue.

4.  Be All You Can Be.

You forgot:

"Aim High"
(Make'm Duck)

;D

Gunner C

JC004

Major Carrales

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 13, 2007, 03:47:32 PM
Now that the movie is out.......those old toys are fetching some nice $$.  To bad I grew up and stopped playing with toys. 

Too bad the new movie is nothing like the shows.

Careful, once you stop playing with toys and watching cartoons you take one step closer to the grave.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Psicorp

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 13, 2007, 03:47:32 PM

I might find out, if I were ever willing to part with them. 

The only difference between kids' toys and adults' toys is the price tag.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257