Interesting Challenges of Your Wing

Started by JeffDG, January 29, 2015, 01:01:15 AM

SarDragon

Quote from: Papabird on January 30, 2015, 06:26:16 PM
2. The world's leading heavy construction company.
And who would that be? VINCI heads my list, and they aren't a US company.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

Quote from: SarDragon on January 31, 2015, 03:26:35 AM
Quote from: Papabird on January 30, 2015, 06:26:16 PM
2. The world's leading heavy construction company.
And who would that be? VINCI heads my list, and they aren't a US company.

www.cat.com

"Leading heavy machinery company" would probably be more apt.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 30, 2015, 12:02:54 AM
That said, I don't understand the hatred of people and places on the opposite side of 80 from you. I know some of it in jest, but some of it isn't. Get over yourself. I hear lots of people complain about 'Chicagoers' and vice versa - it has no place in CAP or modern society.

Then again, maybe I'm just the only person who can be civil and respectful about these things.

I've got family all over Southern Illinois, where they think Cook county is that area North of I-70 and East of Effingham. Bottom line is that Chicago's politics, voting block and economy control the state and until they don't you're never going to see this change. Much of this goes back to the Great Depression as the Southern end of the state took the Depression hard and didn't show any signs of recovery until the early 80's.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

FW

Quote from: Eclipse on January 30, 2015, 11:46:17 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 30, 2015, 11:34:06 PM
Standardization ≠ micromanagement or over regulation.

Exactly.

Standardization, and continued innovation = Progress.  When NHQ listens to members in the field, positive things have happened.  Aircraft management, Financial Accountability, Information distribution, School Programs, WIMRS, and quite a few other practices/standards all started out at the unit, wing, or region level.

I would think all wings have "interesting challenges", however none should be overwhelming or unique.  IMHO, all it takes is some mutual cooperation, and leadership with a focused vision on positive growth. BTW; are "affinity groups" still around?

AirDX

I'm jumping over all of you, moving from Hawaii to Michigan's UP in June.  From paradise to... another kind of paradise in one move!
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

JeffDG

Quote from: FW on February 01, 2015, 01:51:40 PM
Standardization, and continued innovation = Progress.  When NHQ listens to members in the field, positive things have happened...WIMRS...

WMIRS is one of the biggest problems.

NHQ did everything they could to kill field-developed systems, then when they failed at that, they did a half-assed attempt to copy them, and released even that half-done with the mandate "Thou shalt not interface to this".

FW

Jeff, believe it or not, WIMRS was developed because it became impossible to incorporate all the various systems in play back then. From what I remember, "they" made a very strong effort to do so. I heard a lot of frustration back then, and quite a few IT guys called it quits.  I'm not an IT person, so I can't comment on the whys. From a non IT perspective, I can deal with it quite well.  YMMV.

a2capt

I've heard scuttlebutt that Pete Anderson is behind WIMRS 2.0 ..

If there's any basis to that .. it would be sort of "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" kind of thing. He development cycle on IMU was maddening enough, making architectural changes at will, beta testing that must have been like seeing if the flap-jacks stick to the ceiling, or come back down.

Total headache from a support viewpoint, to deal with.

Private Investigator

Quote from: AirDX on February 01, 2015, 04:56:11 PM
I'm jumping over all of you, moving from Hawaii to Michigan's UP in June.  From paradise to... another kind of paradise in one move!

I can not see that move. But that is me. I am encourging my youngest daughter to go to UH. Aloha  ;)