Non-Nomex Gree Flight Suit

Started by LSThiker, February 03, 2014, 11:03:09 PM

LSThiker

Does any one know of any sources that sell the green flight suit that is not Nomex but is of quality with no obvious differences?  I am thinking about getting back into Aircrews but have since long ago sold my flight suit.  I do not want to spend money on buying a Nomex suit when really we do not need it in a Cessna.  Otherwise I think I will just buy the corporate version, if I do choose to get back into the aircrew side.

a2capt

Check for any uniform supplements.

You can also find "issued" but never used items on eBay.

At prices in the $40 range, easily. No reason to buy Rotcho garbage.

Eclipse

Only Nomex is authorized for in green, needed or not.

See Table 2-4, Page 64 of 39-1.

If Nomex is too pricey, you'll need to go to blue.

"That Others May Zoom"

Huey Driver

Even though many people find the flight suit unnecessary for flying GA, CAPM 39-1 Table 2-4, Line 1 specifies that the Green Flight Suit must be NOMEX. Same with the Blue Flight Suit.

and Eclipse beats me by 10 seconds.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

LSThiker

Quote from: JerseyCadet on February 03, 2014, 11:13:11 PM
Even though many people find the flight suit unnecessary for flying GA, CAPM 39-1 Table 2-4, Line 1 specifies that the Green Flight Suit must be NOMEX. Same with the Blue Flight Suit.

and Eclipse beats me by 10 seconds.

Well I should have been more specific, but rather the Corporate Utility Uniform, which is for all intents and purposes, the same thing (minus not wearing the flight cap and not being made of Nomex). 

Quote from: Eclipse on February 03, 2014, 11:13:01 PM
Only Nomex is authorized for in green, needed or not.

See Table 2-4, Page 64 of 39-1.

If Nomex is too pricey, you'll need to go to blue.

Thanks.  I missed that.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: JerseyCadet on February 03, 2014, 11:13:11 PM
Even though many people find the flight suit unnecessary for flying GA, CAPM 39-1 Table 2-4, Line 1 specifies that the Green Flight Suit must be NOMEX. Same with the Blue Flight Suit. (emphasis mine)

Yes and no. Technically, the CAP blue flight suit described in Table 4-5 is NOMEX. However, Table 4-6 describes a CAP utility uniform, which is practically identical to the flight suit, but it's not NOMEX. Both uniforms can be worn for flying and are practically indistinguishable, except for the material.

Bayareaflyer 44

Quote from: LSThiker on February 03, 2014, 11:03:09 PM
I do not want to spend money on buying a Nomex suit when really we do not need it in a Cessna. 

Probably a non-issue here, but, Nomex is required in CAWG.

Earhart #2546
GRW     #3418

LSThiker

Quote from: Bayareaflyer 44 on February 03, 2014, 11:54:38 PM
I do not want to spend money on buying a Nomex suit when really we do not need it in a Cessna. 

Why?  How many flash fires have occurred in a Cessna?

SarDragon

Quote from: LSThiker on February 04, 2014, 12:02:36 AM

Don't ask us. It's been handed down from on high, and it's not a battle worth fighting. If you are patient enough, serviceable flight suits, in both colors are available on eBay.

As for utility uniforms, they may only be in blue. There's no green version authorized for wear, just in case that's what you were really looking for.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Bayareaflyer 44

It's not while flying, it's more after a potential off-field landing.  I recall reading a small memorial in a Squadron in the south section of my Group eulogizing an aircrew with such poor fortunes.  As I recall, burns were a major factor and could have been prevented with the appropriate Nomex flightsuit and gloves.

I actually subscribe to the notion, since the bulk of our 'real' searches are in some pretty forbidding territory (I know, we're more likely to become an ink-spot in an 'event'), but - why leave things to chance?

Earhart #2546
GRW     #3418

PHall

We've had three crashes of CAP aircraft in the past 20 years in CAWG. All three were during actual search missions.
All three had survivors who were burned badly from the post crash fires.
And the areas they were burned the most was the areas that were NOT covered by a NOMEX garmet.

PPE does work, but only if you wear ALL of it. Which means Flight Suit with the sleeves rolled all the way down, collar turned up and you're wearing the NOMEX/Leather flight gloves.

LSThiker

Quote from: PHall on February 04, 2014, 01:50:26 AM
We've had three crashes of CAP aircraft in the past 20 years in CAWG. All three were during actual search missions.
All three had survivors who were burned badly from the post crash fires.
And the areas they were burned the most was the areas that were NOT covered by a NOMEX garmet.

PPE does work, but only if you wear ALL of it. Which means Flight Suit with the sleeves rolled all the way down, collar turned up and you're wearing the NOMEX/Leather flight gloves.

We have nothing that protects the face.  Besides, 3 crashes out of 20 years, how many people died of blunt force trauma?  I would say that if it were really about safety, then the use of a helmet is probably far more practical in most scenarios. 

Eclipse

+1 - I'd have to look but those crashes were also probably ones of the few in all of CAP.

Nomex is an affectation.  Also, wearing a fire resistant flight suit with a nylon jacket over it is useless.

The statistical probability of ever needing Nomex, which is zero, does not justify its cost, especially when you consider
that cost is borne by the membership, and that their counterparts in the GA community, flying the same
aircraft, routinely fly in shorts and t-shirts vs. Nomex anything.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Agreed that the Nomex is just an affectation, though I am not discounting those Wings who require it.

I have a green Nomex bag hanging in the closet, though I could not tell the last time I actually wore it.  It was one of the few short-lived ones made with epaulettes.

The blue "flight suit" and blue "utility uniform" are one and the same, except for the fabric (at least 39-1 got over the flight cap being able to be worn with one but not the other).

In cold weather I wear the blue utility uniform (and there are tons out there of better quality than what VG sells; look on EvilBay) with the black A-2 jacket.  In warm weather just the bag.  However, I am trying to find a lightweight blue flight jacket (L2B) for the times in between.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Walkman

I've bought two green Nomex bags from e-bay for less than $40 each. No rips or tears, but used in good quality.

SARDOC

For those Wings that require Nomex.  Do they have an inspection program for those suits or a replacement program since the manufacturer guidelines indicate a four year service life?

I would think that if they felt it important enough to require nomex that they would find it important enough to make sure that nomex was going to serve in the manner in which it's intended.

HGjunkie

I got a used flightsuit for $35 which was practically brand new off evilbay, and another one for $25 which has a missing zipper. Both prior air force issue garments. Good stuff.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

bosshawk

LSThiker: PM me, I have two NOMEX flight suits that I will gladly sell.  I think that they are both size 46.  BTW: I was in the sq in CAWG that had two fatal crashes in three years and I knew all those guys.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Eclipse

^ No one is saying CAP aircraft don't crash, but unless they were survivable crashes where the occupants were
killed or seriously injured by fire, they are irrelevant to the discussion of Nomex.

And if certain wings have a demonstrable higher fire risk then others, and the Wing CC is inclined to
have an equipment supplement because of that, so be it, but one thing "humorous" about the
all-important CAWG uniform supplements, is that even though they are "important", they
don't seem to be "important" enough to be properly maintained and approved without lapse
during command and regulatory transition.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Not wanting to start are fight here.....but does CAWG "require" nomex?   If not it is not in a 60-1 supp or a 39-1 supp.

I know that PCR used to.....used to have a 60-1 supp that required it....but it has been gone for a long time.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP