Main Menu

CAWG CC Fired

Started by bosshawk, March 25, 2007, 04:16:39 PM

bosshawk

Folks: Gen Pineda has struck again: this time, the California Wing Commander, Col Virginia Nelson, has been relieved of command.  Stated reason: disagreement with CAP auditors over the location of some "restricted" funds.  No funds missing, according to the email received yesterday from CAWG CC.

With all of the conversation on this thread about the good General and his firings, thought that some of you might be interested.

LtCol Jesse Munoz(or Muniz), currently of CO Wg, named as interim commander.  He is apparently a former CAWG member.

Stand by to stand by.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Pumbaa

So how much longer do we have to live with TP?  It seems he is stacking the deck here.  Does anyone else see something weird in what has been going on?

So no money was missing and just a disagreement of location of restricted funds? Reading into that statement would say the funds were located in the wrong account.. say general vs reserve.  Administrative mumbo jumbo.

Personally then I think he should apply the same level of administrative adjudication to himself since there is a disagreement as to the location of where he was when he was "taking" his test!

Folks, this does not bode well... Not at all...

Flying Pig

WOW!!  I knew Col Nelson when she was a Lt. back when i was a young tike!  Shes been around a while.  And of all the people in Ca they went with a someone from Co.?  I know CAP is CAP, I just always recall the Wing Comm coming from your wing.  Is this guy going to relocate to Ca. or is he going to run the wing via online confrence call?

Pylon

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 25, 2007, 05:30:24 PM
Is this guy going to relocate to Ca. or is he going to run the wing via online confrence call?

I believe the interim wing commander selection is actually a California resident (or was) and was disinfranchised with or otherwise left California Wing for Colorado Wing CAP, where he has been most recently the Director of Aerospace Education for COWG. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Flying Pig

Do you know where he was when he was with Ca?  The name sounds familiar.

Pylon

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 25, 2007, 05:54:05 PM
Do you know where he was when he was with Ca?  The name sounds familiar.

RUMINT indicates San Diego.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Smokey

Does anyone know what the count is???

How many Wing/Region commanders that were in that position when King Tony took over are still holding those positions?

Seems to me the slate is just about wiped clean.

BTW...Col Nelson was to finish up her term this October as CAWG comander.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Major Lord

Okay, aprapos of nothing at all, can CAP members collect and submit a petition to Congress to redress problems in CAP without being keel-hauled for mutiny?

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

NIN

Quote from: CaptLord on March 25, 2007, 06:55:55 PM
Okay, aprapos of nothing at all, can CAP members collect and submit a petition to Congress to redress problems in CAP without being keel-hauled for mutiny?

Capt. Lord

Not unless you want to find yourself with a white van out in front of your---- {silence}
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

jason.pennington

I may have to change my ID here.  So I can't be found!

I think it is ridiculous to fire someone over funds being in a wrong account or something.  If the funds were missing, that's one thing.  But we ALL know, they were not.

Col Nelson will be missed as Wing Commander!

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: jason.pennington on March 25, 2007, 07:44:47 PM

I think it is ridiculous to fire someone over funds being in a wrong account or something.  If the funds were missing, that's one thing.  But we ALL know, they were not.

Mishandling of funds will get you fired on active duty, too.  Even if no money is missing, if you violate regulations pertaining to money the active duty side gets VERY touchy.

Part of the problem with that former Dep. National Commander, Rex Glasgow, was that he placed CAP funds into a personal checking account in order to send money in to National.  The fact that he sent the exact right abount in did not matter when the issue is "Co-mingling of official and personal funds."  He should have used money orders to send the funds by mail.

I don't know the story, and if the matter in CA is simply a misinterpretation of regulations then relief seems to be an extreme solution.  Ignorance of regulations pertaining to money, however, is just as bad from the military's persective as willful violations.
Another former CAP officer

LtCol White

Quote from: NIN on March 25, 2007, 07:29:58 PM

Capt. Lord

Not unless you want to find yourself with a white van out in front of your---- {silence}

And the sound of TPU clad stormtroopers coming down your street.  >:D

Ummm...wait....someone is at my door......
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Monty

Fantastic lady....and such a good-natured gal that I even rested on her shoulder during a banquet in a funny moment*.

Cadets, look away; three members of a chain of command (Sq, Grp, Wg)  are about to engage in light-hearted, fun, "PDA" - so watch out.   :o

Edit: Here's a better view.

* = If you want to know what we were laughing at, PM me.

Chappie

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on March 25, 2007, 09:03:09 PM
Quote from: jason.pennington on March 25, 2007, 07:44:47 PM

Mishandling of funds will get you fired on active duty, too.  Even if no money is missing, if you violate regulations pertaining to money the active duty side gets VERY touchy.

Part of the problem with that former Dep. National Commander, Rex Glasgow, was that he placed CAP funds into a personal checking account in order to send money in to National.  The fact that he sent the exact right abount in did not matter when the issue is "Co-mingling of official and personal funds."  He should have used money orders to send the funds by mail.

I don't know the story, and if the matter in CA is simply a misinterpretation of regulations then relief seems to be an extreme solution.  Ignorance of regulations pertaining to money, however, is just as bad from the military's persective as willful violations.

The following explanation is taken from another CAP-related forum:  CAWG recently had an financial audit. CAWG had some funds in different accounts than where NHQ thought they should be. The auditor said, "you need to change these things". All of the funds were accounted for just not in the accounts NHQ thought they should be. NHQ gave Col Nelson a deadline to get things done and that process was underway. TP called her today, before the deadline, and fired her.

Col. Virginia Nelson is an outstanding commander and a long-time member of CAP.  She without question has served CAP with great dedication and distinction.  To see this course of action taken by the National Commander is both disgusting and disheartening.

I, for one, count it to be a privilege to have served with Col. Nelson in various CAWG activities. 
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

BillB

Isn't the appoinment and authority to relieve a Wing Commander the Region Commanders authority?  Is it normal for a National Commander to breeak the chain of command by bypassing the Region Commander?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

TankerT

Capt. Lord

CAP is not a Government entity.  We're a corporation.

Congress can replace our National Commander just as readily as they can replace the CEO of any other corporation.  If you were to have  a letter writing campaign, it would need to go to the Board of Governors... not Congress.

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

Smokey

Like the regulations have ever stopped King Tony from doing what he wants.

Any excuse he can think of to can a wing/region cc is all it takes.  He wants to be king for life.  I think  he was a protoge of Idi Amin.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

BillB

I lost my score card. How many Region or Wing Commanders have resigned or been replaced in the past 18 months???
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

TankerT

Quote from: BillB on March 25, 2007, 11:51:18 PM
Isn't the appoinment and authority to relieve a Wing Commander the Region Commanders authority?  Is it normal for a National Commander to breeak the chain of command by bypassing the Region Commander?

I'm not sure exactly.  I do know that if you terminate a Commander's membership, it can't be done by the next commander up in the food chain.  It has to be two up.  (Squadron CC can be terminated by a Wing Commander only if the Wing has Groups.  Otherwise, if no Groups are present in that wing, a Squadron CC can only have their membership terminated by their Region CC.)

That, however, can be different due to the nature of termination.  However, remember, Wing CC's are not appointed by the Region CC.  As such, I don't think they would have the authority to relieve them.

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

RiverAux

Quotea Squadron CC can only have their membership terminated by their Region CC.)

Got to throw the BS flag on that one....Region commanders have 100+ more squadrons -- they are not involved in hiring squadron commanders and aren't involved in firing them either.  If you think I'm wrong, to paraphrase Jerry McGuire, "SHOW ME THE REGULATION!"