Main Menu

Navy SEAL Impostor

Started by JK657, April 08, 2013, 05:30:27 AM

Private Investigator

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on April 09, 2013, 06:35:36 PM
Quote from: GroundHawg on April 09, 2013, 12:37:19 PM
With rare exception, I never meet veterans with REMF MOS's or AFSC's. I have never met a cook even though I ate 3 meals a day for many years in a DFAC.

You just met one... ex-Air Force cook - DEATH FROM WITHIN!  ;D

Now I know two cooks   :clap:

Private Investigator

In the early 1990s, when I was a FTO in the police department I had a trainee who was an Army Veteran of Viet Nam. His whole life was about the two years in the Army and the year he spent in VN. We go out to the cruiser and he'll say, "what is today?" I'll tell him April 10, figuring he will start our log. He will then state, "April 10, 1970, on Hill 395 after getting mortared all night we receive sniper fire during the daylight hours. It was Sunday and the Battalion Chaplain will not be coming to Hill 395 due to the Viet Cong harrassment." He did not pass probation. He needed some counseling.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: MSG Mac on April 10, 2013, 04:57:39 AM
GA MacArthur got his MOH upon arrival in Australia, after departing the Philippines in 1942.

That will teach me to not try to quote history from memory!!  :)
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

ColonelJack

GA MacArthur got his MOH upon arrival in Australia, after departing the Philippines in 1942.

Not to nitpick or anything... ;)

MacArthur was still a four-star when he got the MoH in 1942.  He was promoted to General of the Army in 1944.

(And was twice considered for promotion to six-star General of the Armies ... but that's another story.)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Stonewall

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 10, 2013, 12:58:39 PM

MacArthur was still a four-star when he got the MoH in 1942.  He was promoted to General of the Army in 1944.

(And was twice considered for promotion to six-star General of the Armies ... but that's another story.)

Jack

He and his father, Arthur MacArthur, are the only father and son MoH recipients.  Together, they wore a combined 8 stars.
Serving since 1987.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: Stonewall on April 10, 2013, 01:17:36 PM

Jack

He and his father, Arthur MacArthur, are the only father and son MoH recipients.  Together, they wore a combined 8 stars.

Except for Colonel Theodore Roosevelt of Rough Rider fame (awarded in the 1990s) and his son, BG Theodore Roosevelt Jr., who was awarded the MoH for his actions as the first general officer ashore on D-Day.

Stonewall

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on April 10, 2013, 01:28:57 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on April 10, 2013, 01:17:36 PMHe and his father, Arthur MacArthur, are the only father and son MoH recipients.  Together, they wore a combined 8 stars.

Except for Colonel Theodore Roosevelt of Rough Rider fame (awarded in the 1990s) and his son, BG Theodore Roosevelt Jr., who was awarded the MoH for his actions as the first general officer ashore on D-Day.

I guess history does change.

I was at the Pentagon on a tour when I learned of the MacArthurs.  That was in the early 90s.
Serving since 1987.

Devil Doc

Most the Time the MoH is Posthumous. I do think, IMO, that Chesty Puller should have got a MoH, but he could not keep his mouth shut. Also, I beleive the MoH has to do with Popularity more than Heroism.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Flying Pig

Im thinking after the 4th Navy Cross, getting notified about his 5th award was probably something like "Yeah, I got plans this weekend, can you just put it on my desk and Ill get it Monday when I come in."   >:D

Good Night Chesty.... Wherever you are!

MSG Mac

Jack

yes, but it is common practice to refer to him at his highest grade, not the grade he received it at. I personally don't think he deserved it for the Philippines.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

jhsmith400

Two things, one is if you ever want to know who was a clerk in the service (not that that is bad they are VITAL jobs), look for the guy wearing a Ranger, Green Beret, or Delta tee shirt.  Most special operators aren't (now more then ever,) too keen on advertising that fact, kind of a "kill me I've killed your brothers"bullseye.  Also I think that for former service members, those 4,6 or 20 years are the best years of thier lives they were young and full of pee and vinegar,  the same reason that folks wear lettermen jackets to HS football games, or folks put college stickers on their cars.  Also they don't have clubs for former IBM, or Post office employees do they?

Private Investigator

Jack

Theodore Roosevelt Jr, along with my grandfather was founding members of the American Legion in 1919. Very exceptional officer according to my grandfather.   :clap:

Private Investigator

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 10, 2013, 02:52:15 PM
Most the Time the MoH is Posthumous. I do think, IMO, that Chesty Puller should have got a MoH, but he could not keep his mouth shut. Also, I beleive the MoH has to do with Popularity more than Heroism.

Maybe for the first or second one which were for his combat action. The 3rd, 4th and 5th were for leadership.

Private Investigator

Quote from: jhsmith400 on April 10, 2013, 10:09:00 PM
Two things, one is if you ever want to know who was a clerk in the service (not that that is bad they are VITAL jobs), look for the guy wearing a Ranger, Green Beret, or Delta tee shirt.  Most special operators aren't (now more then ever,) too keen on advertising that fact, kind of a "kill me I've killed your brothers"bullseye.  Also I think that for former service members, those 4,6 or 20 years are the best years of thier lives they were young and full of pee and vinegar,  the same reason that folks wear lettermen jackets to HS football games, or folks put college stickers on their cars.  Also they don't have clubs for former IBM, or Post office employees do they?

+1

That is a very good observation. People with SAT CONG tattoos most likely were in-country. People with military t-shirts has been to a swap meet. 

flyboy53

Jack

Are you sure? I thought the first general ashore was Maj. Gen. Norman Cota -- who went into Omaha Beach one hour into the landing with the 29th Infantry Division; and is pretty famous for rallying the troops to get of the beach.

Quote from: Private Investigator on April 11, 2013, 08:13:43 AM

+1

That is a very good observation. People with SAT CONG tattoos most likely were in-country. People with military t-shirts has been to a swap meet.

Except when you have a few unit specific morale ones like I do that only went to unit members. Its been two decades since Desert Storm and I'm finally wearing what were originally just supposed to be worn underneath BDUs.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

FlyTiger77

Are you sure? I thought the first general ashore was Maj. Gen. Norman Cota -- who went into Omaha Beach one hour into the landing with the 29th Infantry Division; and is pretty famous for rallying the troops to get of the beach.

BG Roosevelt's MoH citation:

The President of the United States
in the name of The Congress
takes pleasure in presenting the

Medal of Honor

to

*ROOSEVELT, THEODORE, JR.

Rank and organization: brigadier general, U.S. Army. Place and date: Normandy invasion, 6 June 1944. Entered service at: Oyster Bay, N.Y. Birth: Oyster Bay, N.Y. G.O. No.: 77, 28 September 1944.

Citation:
For gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty on 6 June 1944, in France. After 2 verbal requests to accompany the leading assault elements in the Normandy invasion had been denied, Brig. Gen. Roosevelt's written request for this mission was approved and he landed with the first wave of the forces assaulting the enemy-held beaches. He repeatedly led groups from the beach, over the seawall and established them inland. His valor, courage, and presence in the very front of the attack and his complete unconcern at being under heavy fire inspired the troops to heights of enthusiasm and self-sacrifice. Although the enemy had the beach under constant direct fire, Brig. Gen. Roosevelt moved from one locality to another, rallying men around him, directed and personally led them against the enemy. Under his seasoned, precise, calm, and unfaltering leadership, assault troops reduced beach strong points and rapidly moved inland with minimum casualties. He thus contributed substantially to the successful establishment of the beachhead in France. [emphasis mine]

According to Wikipedia (hardly authoritative, but the only reference handy here in the office), MG Cota landed in the second wave at about H+1.

Bobble

http://www.postalemployeenetwork.com/retirement-info.html

http://retiredpostal.com/

http://www.ibm.com/ibm/greateribm/register.shtml

http://www.ibmsfqccaa.org/
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

"Men WILL wear underpants."

Devil Doc

So is it wrong to have my MOTO stickers on the back of my Truck?
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Flying Pig

I wear a small globe and anchor on my uniform at work.  Its actually a pretty good conversation starter.  But I wear it just so people know that Im even more awesome than they initially perceived.   ;D