Main Menu

Military saluting CAP?

Started by KirkF22, July 17, 2012, 08:16:41 PM

Critical AOA

Quote from: JayT on August 24, 2012, 04:01:31 AM
Quote from: phirons on August 16, 2012, 01:49:38 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on August 15, 2012, 11:00:45 PM
Quote from: KirkF22 on July 17, 2012, 08:25:32 PM
Because were not being sent over seas to fight the war. They are risking lives, we are saving them.

Thats not a reason to salute. Enlisted soldiers are not saluted. period.

Unless they were awarded the Medal of Honor.

Even that is a matter of custom, not a matter of regulation.

You are correct.  You can read an article in Stars & Stripes by following the link below.
http://www.stripes.com/blogs/the-rumor-doctor/the-rumor-doctor-1.104348/must-all-troops-salute-medal-of-honor-recipients-1.125849

But here is an excerpt.
Officially, there is no law or military regulation requiring all servicemembers to salute Medal of Honor recipients, but you are allowed to do so when the recipient is physically wearing the medal, according to the Congressional Medal of Honor Society.

The tradition of saluting recipients comes from an Army tradition of having them take part in military parades, during which they would stand with an officer during the "pass in review," and both would return salutes from commanders as they passed by, according to the society.

And since they probably never wear it outside of formal occasions, you most likely will never risk violating the custom in your daily existence.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

AngelWings

Requirements to do things should never be the only reason you do them. I'd personally make my men salute a MOH recipient. It's a matter of respecting someone who deserves it.

PHall

Quote from: AngelWings on August 25, 2012, 04:08:10 PM
Requirements to do things should never be the only reason you do them. I'd personally make my men salute a MOH recipient. It's a matter of respecting someone who deserves it.

"Making" your troops salute MOH receipients is a bad idea. And since it's a custom and not a reg you would have nothing to fall back on if you were challanged.

Now explaining the custom to them and letting do it because they want to, that works.

Smokey

Okay ...we are 8 (count them ... eight) pages into this and we still have people whining about saluting.  You don't want to do...fine..wear a polo shirt. Otherwise if in uniform ...DO IT. 

It won't cause that portion of your anatomy guys , to shrink any smaller.  You're head won't explode, birds will still fly, fish will swim.

Why all the heartache for a SIMPLE gesture of courtesy.

Get over it and yourselves.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Lab Lover on August 24, 2012, 03:57:55 AM
Back in the day, from 20 feet away you couldn't tell whether you were looking at an air force member (or air national guardsmen if their uniform was not too sharp) or a member of CAP, because our epaulets were blue.  We all wore CAP on our collars and CAP buttons on our blues.

I came in just after that...my first unit had the blue epaulettes in their storage and one of the first things I learnt was why CAP could no longer wear them.  There was a lot of bitterness that the Air Force was making the whole organisation take a "thank you sir may I have another" (those who have seen Animal House know what I mean) for the actions of a few fools, when it would have been better to have given the bad actors a 2B for it and not punish CAP members who would have never done this.

This order of dress was, dare I say it, a lot more "distinctive" (a meaningless term anyway) than the altered-AF uniform we have now.  "CAP" on the lapels, "CAP" on the blue epaulettes, everyone with CAP blue nameplates, everyone with CAP buttons...the uniform said "CAP" and nothing but "CAP."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

cap235629

If you find it beneath you to salute a MoH recipient when in a CAP uniform and are in my immediate vicinity, I pray for your sake that the good Lord will control my violent reaction to such a transgression.......
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé