Main Menu

The Chief's Corner

Started by Chief Chiafos, December 31, 2006, 06:29:54 PM

mikeylikey

I just do not see a need in this.  What will this accomplish?  Lets focus on what we have now and drive on.  TP needs to be focusing on declining membership, and money.  I guess this means we are in store for about a zillion new uniform changes!
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

If the only plan is to allow current and former military chiefs to step back to their enlisted grade, this is a silly idea.

It won't change our mission, or command structure.

The do-ers in CAP today are the doers in CAP, regardless of ribbons, grade or stripes.

Those not versed in the RealMilitary® will not understand the nuances, and will use it as another excuse to try and boss people around.

What good is being an NCO if you have no enlisted to supervise?  And since CAP autthority comes from staff position, not grade, what difference could it make?

As noted, more places to cause confusion, increase cost, and hack off the USAF.

This has nothing to do with whether Chief Chiafos is a good leader and everything to do with the direction of the program, and whether we are ever going to stop worrying about jackets, grade, and other non-essentials, and turn are eyes back on readiness and proficiency, none of which is going to be impacted in the least by an NCO corps.

The RealMilitary® builds leaders, expects participation and performance, and makes people "go away" when they are non-performers.

As is painfully obvious on these boards, most CAP units are begging members just to show up, which is not exactly a "perfomance environment".

Respiration, gravitational attraction, and basic attendance are all that is required to be a shining star in some parts of this org.

Until that changes, nothing else will.

"That Others May Zoom"

sandman

Quote from: Eclipse on December 31, 2006, 09:59:05 PM
If the only plan is to allow current and former military chiefs to step back to their enlisted grade, this is a silly idea.

It won't change our mission, or command structure.

The do-ers in CAP today are the doers in CAP, regardless of ribbons, grade or stripes.

Those not versed in the RealMilitary® will not understand the nuances, and will use it as another excuse to try and boss people around.

What good is being an NCO is you have no enlisted to supervise?  And since CAP autthority comes from staff position, not grade, what difference could it make?

As noted, more places to cause confusion, increase cost, and hack off the USAF.

This has nothing to do with whether Chief Chiafos is a good leader and everything to do with the direction of the program, and whether we are ever going to stop worrying about jackets, grade, and other non-essentials, and turn are eyes back on readiness and proficiency, non of which is going to be impacted in the least by an NCO corps.

The RealMilitary® builds leaders, expects participation and performance, and makes people "go awat" when they are non-performers.

As is painfully obvious on these boards, most CAP units are begging members just to show up, which is not exactly a "perfomance environment".

Respiration, gravitational attraction, and basic attendance are all that is required to be a shining star in some parts of this org.

Until that changes, nothing else will.

I concur to a point.

Chief, please talk with NHQ about promoting through the NCO ranks, change the structure (they've changed so much already). You have another potential NCO here with all the sass that goes with it (life member NCOA). But I'll not bite if the NCO corps is stagnant, might as well stay an officer, already bought all the bling...
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

Robert Hartigan

Is anyone else reminded of the movie "Airplane?"

Dr. Rumack: What was it we had for dinner tonight?
Elaine Dickinson: Well, we had a choice: steak or fish.
Dr. Rumack: Yes, yes, I remember, I had lasagna.
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

RiverAux

Although I don't think you need an NCO specifically for this job in CAP, having someone representing the rank and file membership with access to the top dog in any unit can be helpful. 

flyguy06

I have to agree. What does CAP need an NCO Corps for? Like was said earlier, we dont have junior enlisted people to manage or supervise. If a former NCO wants to keep his rank in CAP thats fine, but I dont think we need an "official" NCO Corps with a Chief for the National CC like AF command structures have. We are just not orhganized like an AF Wing or AF Command. Senior NCO's are basically enlisted advisors to the commander on issues affecting the troops. ANd as was stated they are the "make it happen" folks. Well, CAP doiesnt have troops and we all make it happen as a team already.

Now, I could see having a senior cadet advisor to commanders. That would be the best idea. A cadet (most likely a Spaatz) to adivse commanders on issue affecting cadets in their respective wings and regions. I could see that but a Senior NCO advisor? I just dont see the need.

DNall

Welcome Chief. Forgive the shock on the part of our members. We've all toiled away here on ideas we wish we could get some action on, and here you come asking for input. It's just counter to everything we've come to know - and refreshing.

Bill, It's creating a grade outside regs & promoting an NCO. That would need to be an emergency to fall under a policy letter, and of course the letter. I'm more concerned that the AF get a heads up, especially after we self-promoted to Maj Gen.

My views: To the point. I think the NCO system we have now is a waste of time, which makes the officer grades a waste of time as well. During the first two-thirds of CAP's history it had a real enlisted corps taking civilians off the street & working up thru the ranks, officers didn't walk off the street & pin on six months later like this joke of a system we have now. I'm a strong supporter of creating an enlisted corps mirroring the AF, and restricting officer grades to a more limited number & a competitive process w/ near AF requirements. None of this is news to anyone around here having seen those conversations from me several times.

Let me put that a bit more clearly... If the path you're on works within the current system to illustrate the need for an NCO corps across the org, provides for promotions along near-AF standards, gives voice to members into the command structure (1Sgt style), then down the road assists current CAP/NCOs in welcoming civilians to their ranks by meeting training & professional standards on par w/ the AF & in doing so help fix our screwed up officer corps... down that road I'm with ya 100%. On the other hand, if you're merely looking for members to choose to put on NCO grade in a system where grade has dropped to near meaningless, and you have no greater aspiration then that, well then you have my support, but I'm not sure I see the point either.

I think it would help if you spoke briefly on your & the Gen's vision for this. Also, have you had a chance to touch base w/ the CCMSgt Ellison at AETC or CMSAF? Any NCO effort we make, even within the current system, will be transformational. I'd like to stay in-tune with the AF NCO side, & especially their links to the top, as we seek to evolve to meet future missions & challenges together as a team w/ AF. I know Air Staff is very interested in strategic thinking on CAP. I think you have a unique opportunity in front of you & I look forward to helping in any way I can.

Now just a random swing at the gallery, nothing personal sir...
Quote from: Robert Hartigan on December 31, 2006, 09:42:42 PM
Come on, the above is tongue in cheek for those without a sense of humor. Isn't there something else more important than making new uniforms and new grade structures? How about helping inner city youth stay out of gangs and off drugs, promoting a safe and exciting environment for cadets and adults to experience the magic of aviation. I don't know, what do you think of try to finding a downed pilot! All of these changes for changes sake  is becoming ridiculous. CAP has important things to do!
We indoctrinate youth & give them the tools to succeed in potential military service, EVERYTHING else is bonus, & bonus is good, but it isn't our job. That AF doesn't pay for anti-gang program - DDR sure when it's their kids you're talking about, but they aren't the social service center for the country, and neither are we (especially not with their money). The same is true of our other missions. AE builds public support for a strong air & space budget - why else would the AF pay for it? ES is about doing an AF task cheaply so those funds can pay for another round of bombing practice before you go to war, or oh I don't know maybe the F22 program that we've saved enough in the history of CAP to pay for. That's what CAP is about, and everything else is bonus. Don't get caught up & tunnel vision on the bonus.

Grade has degraded (pun intended) to near meaningless cause we've made it that way cause we - animal house style "need the dudes."  Retention is a result of bad leadership & mgmt, which is also to blame for not stepping into more significant roles in defense of the nation, which is also a primary retention issue. Grade isn't about titles any more than it matters what you call a CEO. It's about fixing the people side of CAP so we can be of service to our country. What we're doing is important, what we potentially can do is even more important, our job is about fixing our issues so we can do this thing the best it can be done. That's what these things are about, just as a matter of perspective.

What we're doing IS the important stuff, but we're doing it poorly, or at least not up to our potential.

lordmonar

Quote from: mikeylikey on December 31, 2006, 07:52:17 PM
Am I the onlyl one that never heard anything about this before?  If this is TRUE....then once again it is another CAP Quick Response to a problem that never existed and another change in organization that was not discussed openly.  Please, show me the documentation to back this up! 

What will these NCO's do exactly that is not already being done?  What jobs will be taken from the rest of us and assigned as NCO Only? 

Until I see approval from the BOG, this is no go as far as I am concerned!

What?  Are you saying the National Commander cannot create a new staff position with out BOG approval?

GODS...guys....come on!

The National Commander is looking into creating an NCO corps and appointed a CMSgt to head it up and gave him a fancy title.  You don't need BOG approval for that!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

sandman

Quote from: DNall on December 31, 2006, 10:36:31 PM
Welcome Chief. Forgive the shock on the part of our members. We've all toiled away here on ideas we wish we could get some action on, and here you come asking for input. It's just counter to everything we've come to know - and refreshing.

Bill, It's creating a grade outside regs & promoting an NCO. That would need to be an emergency to fall under a policy letter, and of course the letter. I'm more concerned that the AF get a heads up, especially after we self-promoted to Maj Gen.

My views: To the point. I think the NCO system we have now is a waste of time, which makes the officer grades a waste of time as well. During the first two-thirds of CAP's history it had a real enlisted corps taking civilians off the street & working up thru the ranks, officers didn't walk off the street & pin on six months later like this joke of a system we have now. I'm a strong supporter of creating an enlisted corps mirroring the AF, and restricting officer grades to a more limited number & a competitive process w/ near AF requirements. None of this is news to anyone around here having seen those conversations from me several times.

Let me put that a bit more clearly... If the path you're on works within the current system to illistrate the need for an NCO corps across the org, provides for promotions along near-AF standards, gives voice to members into the command structure (1Sgt style), then down the road assists current CAP/NCOs in welcoming civilians to their ranks by meeting training & professional standards on par w/ the AF & in doing so help fix our screwed up officer corps... down that road I'm with ya 100%. On the other hand, if you're merely looking for members to choose to put on NCO grade in a system where grade has dropped to near meaningless, and you have no greater aspiration then that, well then you have my support, but I'm not sure I see the point either.

I think it would help if you spoke breifly on your & the Gen's vision for this. Also, have you had a chance to touch base w/ the CCMSgt Ellison at AETC or CMSAF? Any NCO effort we make, even within the current system, will be transformational. I'd like to stay in-tune with the AF NCO side, & especially their links to the top, as we seek to evolve to meet future missions & challenges together as a team w/ AF. I know Air Staff is very interested in strategic thinking on CAP. I think you have a unique opportunity in front of you & I look forward to helping in any way I can.

Well said.

Welcome Chief, looks like you have your work cut out for you. I look forward to seeing how this works out.
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

JohnKachenmeister

Welcome Chief:

Sorry about the "Rascal cadet" remark, but if you're not up to a little ribbing now and then, you won't be very happy on these boads.  Or at Maxwell, for that matter.

Our reaction points out something that has been noted before here.  There is NO top-down communication.  There is no "Commander's intent" communicated to the do-ers from the think-ers and tell-ers.

IF MG TP has a vision for where he's trying to take our happly little band of warriors, he has yet to clarify it to us.  Hence, when something does happen -- like a new program for NCO's -- there is skepticsim and speculation as to motives.

And yes, your work IS cut out for you.
Another former CAP officer

Major_Chuck

Chief, welcome aboard and congratulations on being the first in a much need transformation of Civil Air Patrol.

I would gladly shed these oak leaves to return to my enlisted rank.  I am interested and concerned about a stagnated NCO Corps that has no room for true growth.

Count me in for any assistance you need.  Just shoot me an email.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

RiverAux

Although there isn't any such position officially in the regulations the Nat Cdr has authority to create any national committee he wants.  Additionally, he regs are pretty vague on what positions are authorized within national headquarters.  So, I don't see any particular problem here. 

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on December 31, 2006, 10:38:20 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on December 31, 2006, 07:52:17 PM
Am I the onlyl one that never heard anything about this before?  If this is TRUE....then once again it is another CAP Quick Response to a problem that never existed and another change in organization that was not discussed openly.  Please, show me the documentation to back this up! 

What will these NCO's do exactly that is not already being done?  What jobs will be taken from the rest of us and assigned as NCO Only? 

Until I see approval from the BOG, this is no go as far as I am concerned!

What?  Are you saying the National Commander cannot create a new staff position with out BOG approval?

GODS...guys....come on!

The National Commander is looking into creating an NCO corps and appointed a CMSgt to head it up and gave him a fancy title.  You don't need BOG approval for that!

Yes, he does...

An NCO Corps isn't going to just happen because CAPFLT001 thinks its a good idea.

Anything more than simply appointing a figurehead for all the exisitng military NCO's who choose to keep their existing grade will require:

A full plan, including transition, required professional development, and
transition from the exiting system.

Certain jobs will be for "enlisted" and certain will not.

Unifrm changes will have to be approved by the NEC and BOG, as well as the USAF, and insignia created - we can't just wear their patches, nor would most seniors be happy wearing exisitng cadet insignia.

An NCO Corps, good or bad, would radically change the existing structure of the organization with no tangible benefit to the members or the mission.

This is not something which will just "happen".

We are a corporation with a board of directors, the "CEO" has limited powers, mostly to implement emergency policy.

It is one thing to appoint a RealMilitary® Command Chief to a staff role - it requires no relief of regs, insignia are already approved, and there is no special authority granted.

It is a whole 'nother thing to take someone off the street and call them and NCO.

To call us all "officers" is a stretch in and of itself, but to further subdivide the org "just because", well.  Again, no one here has suggested "why?".

The RealMilitary® is divided between enlisted and commisioned officers for legal reasons related to the rules of war, the Geneva Convention and related issues.

How is that related to CAP?

"That Others May Zoom"

Chief Chiafos

Well... Overwhelmed already!  I will try to answer each of you as best as I can and stay on focus.  Sorry for the fat fingered typos.

I am a former cadet (1961-1965) and returned to CAP to try and repay it for the many good things it gave me in my youth.  I spent 27-years in the Air Force, both active and reserve duty.  I am a Vietnam, Gulf War, Bosnia, Kosovo, and War on Terror veteran.  The last 18-years of my service I was a Special Agent in the Air Force Office of Special Investigations (AFOSI).

The tone of some replies here are very disheartening, but not unexpected.  They are primary examples of how we got tagged as the "Silly Air Patrol", an image that humiliates all who care deeply about our organization.  Small-minded negativity is a cancer on CAP and eats away our relationship with the Air Force, and our credibility with the public.  Mark Twain once observed: "Its better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."  Having said that, I embrace thoughtful criticism, regardless of source, and will work hard to fairly resolve problems and issues fairly brought to me.

General Pineda visited Iowa and liked what he saw, particularly the NCO Corps.  He asked if I was willing to accept a Command Chief's (CCM) position, and help bring some of those good things to all of CAP.  I received a reassignment order from NHQ dated 14 Nov 06.  Has the BOG approved it?  I don't know, but I do know I don't require yours.  I know that General Pineda is controversial, he has detractors and supporters – I am neither.  I am here to serve CAP, its people, and missions.  I made that clear to General Pineda, and I am doing so with you.  I am your portal to headquarters, I represent you, and you need to use that line of communications.

When I took the CCM position I did so with clear eyes – this is going to be hard, very hard.  I read the CAP Charter and other organizational documents.  I was stunned!  CAP was intentionally organized to be in a constant vegetative state – absolute paralysis!  The Commander has no authority, but is held accountable for everything.  The BOG holds all the authority, but cannot be held accountable by anyone.  As a result CAP is has all the operational attributes of a drunken paranoid schizophrenic – but none of the benefits, whatever those might be.  It is my, our, job as NCOs to impose order on the chaos.

Sure, CAP has long accommodated NCOs, but doesn't know what to do with us.  The NCO Corps will be consolidated into a new specialty track; managed entirely by the NCOs themselves.  That removes us from the control of headquarters, petty politics, and the booby traps of the unending guerrilla warfare that goes on in CAP.  The track will be "closed" that is, if you were not an NCO in the US armed forces, you cannot be an NCO in CAP.  The rationale is simple: prior service NCOs are already trained and experienced, and we must be perceived, both in and out of CAP, as "real" NCOs, or we have no credibility.  This is vital to improving our relationship with the Air Force. But that does not preclude opening the track in the future to civilians who can be properly trained.

The NCO in CAP will do what the NCO does in the military: speak the truth, practice fairness, seek justice, demand accountability, enforce standards in wear of the uniform, customs and courtesies, conduct military formations and ceremonies, mentor officers with leadership skills, and advise commanders in the better interests of CAP, its people, and missions.  This is the road to true professionalism.

I cannot let our relationship with the Air Force go unaddressed.  CAP is the crazy bother-in-law kept locked in the basement – we have humiliated them once too often.  In 2000, after the OSI investigation of CAP (yes, I was the superintendent of that investigation, and personally briefed General Newton, the Air Force IG, on it weekly), the Air Force went to Congress to change the CAP Charter.  We are no longer the FULL TIME auxiliary of the Air Force; we are its auxiliary ONLY when on an Air Force mission.  The writing has been on the wall, but no one is reading it.  Our future is in doubt.  There are dozens of private SAR organizations drooling over the prospect of our demise.  We must change, change profoundly, and do it soon.

It will be a privilege to serve you and CAP.  Below is a draft of the NCO code of conduct

THE NON-COMISSIONED OFFICER CORPS

NON-COMMISIONED OFFICERS CODE OF CONDUCT

As a Non-Commissioned Officer my sole occupation is the good order and welfare of Civil Air Patrol, its people, and missions – to the exclusion of all else.  I will embrace accountability for myself and demand it from others.  I will lead by example, and truly embody the core values, which set the NCO apart from all others: for I am first, and last, a military professional.

Integrity First:  I am the ethical conscious of Civil Air Patrol. My ability to lead is based on moral authority.  All I say and do shall be founded in honesty.  I will defend the truth regardless of popular sentiment.  I will not engage in, or become party to, petty politics, personal disputes, and other controversies that demean Civil Air Patrol's integrity, or soil its public image and respect. I will confront those with personal agendas harmful to Civil Air Patrol, its people, and missions.  My character cannot be bought, sold, or intimidated.

Service Before Self:  The non-commissioned officer corps is an uncommon profession calling for people of uncommon dedication.  I will put the welfare of Civil Air Patrol, its people, and missions above all else.  And on that principle, I will set aside personal opinion and bias, to advise commanders truthfully and offer honest guidance.  I will mentor company grade officers and instill in them the practice of leadership and fairness.  I will set a professional military example for all cadets to follow - I am here to serve, not to be served.

Excellence In All I Do:  Excellence is not a goal, it is my professional standard, and anything less is unacceptable.  My grooming and uniform appearance will be flawless.  My military bearing and conduct will display the best traditions of the NCO at all times.  I will bring to Civil Air Patrol all the skills, training, and experience seasoned by service in the United States armed forces.  I will apply that knowledge for the betterment of Civil Air Patrol and its individual members.

Eclipse

Well, that looks great on paper.

How, exactly is a closed-loop group of NCOS, with no command authority or their units, and no one to supervise except themselves going to enhance our ability to perform our missions?

What, specifically do you intend to DO, or are doing today in IAWG?

I think it also needs to be said, that what is happening in IAWG is commendable - a herculean effort that works in IAWG.

It doesn't scale, and can't be duplicated in states that don't have a benevolent relationship with the guard.

"That Others May Zoom"

flyguy06

Just curious but if this is an "official" thing, Why hasnt a notice been posted   on the CAP website?

flyguy06

wait a minute. Maybe I am getting terms confused here. You said you were on orders to NHQ. So, you are acting in the capacity of an UASF NCO. I was under the impression you were acting as a volunteer CAPer like me. If youare on "orders", well, thats a whole different story.

Smokey

Chief,

I applaud your courage to stand up on stage and be pelted with tomatoes.   At the moment I do not have an opinion on an NCO corps but I do agree with you that our relationship with the AF is in jeopardy due to the actions of some within CAP.

As was pointed out by Kack.....everyone is automatically skeptical because TP has never told anyone where this ship is headed.  Why is it we hear about your position and the program here on a blog and from you? TP has made numerous changes, initiated programs, uniforms, name changes, etc. without warning.  Most of the stuff is just sprung on us and we don't know why or where we are headed.

I can't perform a mission if I don't know what the mission is.....and right now I can't tell what CAPs mission is.

For the rest of the folks.....the Chief did not seek this assignment or position (from what he has told us) but is striving to do the best he can with what has been put on the plate in front of him.  Let's not kill the poor guy.   His second post clears up some of the information missing from his original post.  His heart seems to be in the right place.  I strongly suggest a CIVIL discussion of this without attacks on the Chief.

If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

BillB

Flyguy
You are confusing NHQ with HQCAP-USAF.  National Headquarters at Maxwell AFB is both CAP and CAP-USAF Headquarters.  A CAP member can be assigned to NHQ and be on the corporate side of the house.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

flyguy06

Quote from: BillB on January 01, 2007, 12:51:54 AM
Flyguy
You are confusing NHQ with HQCAP-USAF.  National Headquarters at Maxwell AFB is both CAP and CAP-USAF Headquarters.  A CAP member can be assigned to NHQ and be on the corporate side of the house.

Bottom line question for me is is he a volunteer like me or is he a paid emplyee. That makes a difference. If he is a paid employee then cool. I undertsand but if he is a volunteer than my original question stands.

Nobody is trying tobeat hom up personally. Like was said, he didnt seek the position, but he did seek to post onthis board, I just havent heard anything official yet. I mean come on, this is just s message board. Anyone can log in and post anything they want. Please understand my skeptisism. I am a cop. Everything is suspect until proven or verifified. This is big news, I personally think it would have been anouced through the official CAP website, or downthe chaing of comand