Main Menu

The Chief's Corner

Started by Chief Chiafos, December 31, 2006, 06:29:54 PM

Chief Chiafos

Hello,

General Pineda has appointed me as CAP's first Command Chief Master Sergeant.  My goal is to bring back the Non-Commissioned Officer corps, and use them as our armed forces do.  I am interested in finding former military NCOs, however, I will be happy to address any issue you bring to me.  I am starting from scratch and have a difficult job ahead.  I will need all the help and advice you can willing to give.

Monty

Wow...an interesting development.

I'm mostly interested in the details of your new position.  If you don't mind sharing in a non-hostile fashion, of course!  :)

arajca

I'd like to see what the idea for a CAP NCO corps will be. Only military NCO's or open to all?

Eclipse

On second thought, why bother? 

With all the other background noise in the org, why implement a program which will further divide the members?

How about dissolving the rank structure and we all get to some real work?

"That Others May Zoom"

AlphaSigOU

Welcome, Chief! That Gorilla Guide to Uniform Wear you wrote is outstanding!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

ddelaney103

First, could you tell us a little about yourself (AF experience, CAP experience)?

Second, can you give us a little idea what the General's idea for "bring back the NCO corps" means exactly?  I have a problem with proposing solutions when we haven't stated what the problem is we're trying to solve.

As a AF Senior NCO, my major job is to take the "what to do" the officers give me and turn it into the "who and how to do it" I pass to my Airmen.  NCO's in CAP don't have Airmen and supervising officers runs counter to military tradition.  Unless we're treating the Cadets as "Airmen" and the NCO corps is strictly a CP production, there seem to be a lot of questions to be answered.

Dan Delaney
SMSgt, MD ANG
Maj, CAP

isuhawkeye

A.Member

Quote from: Chief Chiafos on December 31, 2006, 06:29:54 PM
Hello,

General Pineda has appointed me as CAP's first Command Chief Master Sergeant.  My goal is to bring back the Non-Commissioned Officer corps, and use them as our armed forces do.  I am interested in finding former military NCOs, however, I will be happy to address any issue you bring to me.  I am starting from scratch and have a difficult job ahead.  I will need all the help and advice you can willing to give.
For what purpose?  Please help us better understand.   How would these new ranks be integrated with existing members?  How does such a role improve our mission capabilities and our relationship with the Air Force?  Expand on the responsibilities you've been tasked with please.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

A.Member

Quote from: ddelaney103 on December 31, 2006, 07:07:24 PM
First, could you tell us a little about yourself (AF experience, CAP experience)?

Second, can you give us a little idea what the General's idea for "bring back the NCO corps" means exactly?  I have a problem with proposing solutions when we haven't stated what the problem is we're trying to solve.

As a AF Senior NCO, my major job is to take the "what to do" the officers give me and turn it into the "who and how to do it" I pass to my Airmen.  NCO's in CAP don't have Airmen and supervising officers runs counter to military tradition.  Unless we're treating the Cadets as "Airmen" and the NCO corps is strictly a CP production, there seem to be a lot of questions to be answered.

Dan Delaney
SMSgt, MD ANG
Maj, CAP
Thank you...some of my same thoughts as well.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Al Sayre

Welcome Chief!

Congratulations on your new position. 

I'm glad to see you here on the board, it's nice to know that someone at the top is willing to listen.  I think you'll find a lot of wisdom in these pages, but also a lot of background noise.

I too am curious as to the function of an NCO Corps within CAP.  I have quite a few questions, but I'll hold them for now as others here have already covered the major ones. 
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

Was your appointment approved by the BOG?

"That Others May Zoom"

mikeylikey

Am I the onlyl one that never heard anything about this before?  If this is TRUE....then once again it is another CAP Quick Response to a problem that never existed and another change in organization that was not discussed openly.  Please, show me the documentation to back this up! 

What will these NCO's do exactly that is not already being done?  What jobs will be taken from the rest of us and assigned as NCO Only? 

Until I see approval from the BOG, this is no go as far as I am concerned!
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

Who is this really?

If you are one of those rascal cadets pulling another prank on us, you are going to be in so much trouble even the Cadet Protection Program cannot save you.

Some of us know some very bad people with mob connections.
Another former CAP officer

sandman

Quote from: Chief Chiafos on December 31, 2006, 06:29:54 PM
Hello,

Okay, I'll bite. I would be interested in reverting back to the NCO corps with this caveat...There must be in place a means to be promoted up to the rank of E-9.
Mirror the AD NCO corps, but not to the extent that only one or two people can reach E-9, in other words, no cap on limit to the amount of E-9's. Education, training, participation, time in grade, etc. and perhaps even an NCO board for E-7 and up; but everybody must have an equal chance to make the top grade (pun intended).
Otherwise, darn the torpedos--full speed ahead!
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

Nick Critelli

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 31, 2006, 08:26:30 PM
Who is this really?

Gentlemen you are about to meet a real chief: CMSgt Robert Chiafos.  He was the Command Chief for the IAWG until he was summoned  to NHQ by MG Pineda after his IAWG inspection.

I have learned that there is a world of difference between the officer mentality and that of the senior NCO. What we experienced is that our officer corps perform the due diligence, strategic planning, etc...and the Chief and his NCO corps make it happen. 

As you know CAP regs allow NCO's to keep their rank. Those prior NCOs who wish may do so.  As I understand it from talking to the Chief yesterday no structural changes are contemplated to the program at this time.  He will work with those CAP members who voluntarily chose to keep or return to their prior earned NCO rank.

BTW in IAWG we had several who transfered from their 'O" status to an "E" status.

Lancer

Quote from: Nick Critelli, Lt Col CAP on December 31, 2006, 09:21:52 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 31, 2006, 08:26:30 PM
Who is this really?

Gentlemen you are about to meet a real chief: CMSgt Robert Chiafos. 

I was about to call bull-fecal too due to the brevity of the post and the grammar error. But some Googling of his e-mail address brought about some real information. Besides, if it was some silly cadet playing tricks, he would have had to have access to the Chief's e-mail address to register the account.

My question is this, is this going to allow new CAP adult members the ability to choose either an Enlisted or Officer path? Or do you need to have been a previous enlisted member of the military to take this grade/role?

BillB

Mikeylikey,   NCO grades currently exist in CAP and have always been part of the program. It's just very few that stayed in NCO grades, rather went to the officer side.  Appointing someone as Command Chief Master Sgt is well within the authority of MG Pineda as Commander CAP. The action does not require any approval by the Board of Governors, or the National Board or NEC.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Robert Hartigan

All due respect to the Command Chief; congratulations or condolences?!?!.

Okay I have to say this idea is goofy.  We do not need another rank, insignia, badge, patch or ribbon. This ranks right up there with CAP General Officers and maroon epaulets.

Before you know some USAF Command Chief is going to get his or her nose our of joint and we will have to replace the sleeves on the serive coats with rainbow stripes so that 1000 yards away everyone knows that the Officers and NCO of CAP are not in the Air Force.

Have you ever thought of the idea of a CAP General??? Now don't get me wrong, the folks promoted to CAP General grades are not the issue.

Think about it, a General in charge of an armada of "bug smashers." Can you hear the stories at the O-Club, "Yeah, I was cruising along at 3,000 feet MSL at 105KTS TAS wearing my Black A-2 almost leather jacket on my way to present a kid with some award thing when I took out this huge mesquito like dragon fly thing, it was like flying into Hell! They gave me a ribbon because I washed the bug guts off the plexiglass windscreen after declaring an emergency and getting tugged to the FBO.  What about you Air Force General Dude what was your day like?" Real Air Force General says," That must have been really rough, today I direct the bombing of a hostile land making sure that we had bombs on target, on time and got our aircrews home alive. No big deal,... ...now wait a minute you really got a ribbon for cleaning the aircraft, you must not have any NCOs?" And the idea for CAP NCO's is born! Give that guy another star! Four is not enough how about a red sash with USAF AUX crossed out and Civil Air Patrol scribbled below in CAP Approved magic marker because Vanguard did not ship the new sash even though there is a better more efficient manufacturer with the new sach in stock at a cheaper price.

Come on, the above is tongue in cheek for those without a sense of humor. Isn't there something else more important than making new uniforms and new grade stuctures? How about helping inner city youth stay out of gangs and off drugs, promoting a safe and exciting environment for cadets and adults to experience the magic of aviation. I don't know, what do you think of try to finding a downed pilot! All of these changes for changes sake  is becoming ridiculous. CAP has important things to do!

Bring back the Pickle suit Chief!
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

CadetProgramGuy

Chief Chiafos is the real deal.  I have not ever met a man with more heart and soul to give to any program more than the Chief.

Chief Chiafos is currently the Superintendant of ICAPA (Iowa Civil Air Patrol Academy) and is in charge of shaping the hearts and minds of BOTH the Officers and Cadet's.

I met the Chief a year ago at the 2006 Iowa Wing conference, and he impressed the Fecal matter out of me.  This is a career Air Force Enlisted soldier that would still be with his troops today, if he could be.

Saying that he impressed me says alot.  This is a man, that when he speaks, you ought to listen.  When he approaches you, you better check your own attitude before you check his.  And your uniform.......you best be by the regs.....

Remember.....God loves his CMSgt's.....

CadetProgramGuy

One more thing.....before posting....

Check the REG'S!!!!

The NCO corps is still alive in CAP!!

I refer to the following regs for your reference....

CAPR 35-5

"SECTION F- NONCOMMISSIONED OFFICER GRADES
27. General. This section prescribes the requirements and procedures for appointment to CAP noncommissioned officer (NCO) grades.
28. Eligibility requirements.
a. Only those CAP members who are military or ex-military NCOs and do not wish to be considered for CAP officer grades may be appointed to a CAP NCO grade under provisions of this section. The CAP grade granted will be equivalent to the grade held in the active duty military, Reserve or National Guard."

Thanks!!