What Do Y'all Do Together Outside of the Weekly Meetings?

Started by HorseGirlUDI, January 26, 2020, 01:38:19 AM

HorseGirlUDI

Hey everyone, I hope y'all have had a good week!

I would love to hear what you guys do outside of the weekly meetings for cadets to get together? I've heard of movie nights, air soft battles, and some other stuff, and I'd really love to hear more ideas!

Gunsotsu

Quote from: HorseGirlUDI on January 26, 2020, 01:38:19 AM
Hey everyone, I hope y'all have had a good week!

I would love to hear what you guys do outside of the weekly meetings for cadets to get together? I've heard of movie nights, air soft battles, and some other stuff, and I'd really love to hear more ideas!

We don't. Familiarity breeds contempt. And air soft is verboten for cadets.

NIN

You've been watching too many movies.

Next you're going to tell me that sloppiness breeds inefficiency.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

dwb

Quote from: Gunsotsu on January 26, 2020, 02:32:53 AM
We don't. Familiarity breeds contempt.

Some of my closest friends I have met in CAP. Wing Conferences practically became family reunions. My kids' godfather was my first sergeant when I joined. My late wife's memorial service was probably 1/3 CAP people.

A squadron that plays together stays together. Social activities aren't the purpose of CAP, but they do have an important place in maintaining cohesion and espirit de corps.

For years in my old squadron, the seniors and senior cadets would meet for soft serve ice cream after most of the summer meetings (after winter meetings, we brushed the snow off our cars and drove home cold and miserable). In my current squadron, the 5th Tuesdays are senior social nights. The cadets have done bowling, movies, and the like.

@HorseGirlUDI it's going to depend on what your cadets like doing. If they're all gamers, I'm not sure they will enjoy a day hike. Or maybe they would, and the fresh air would do them good! A lot of places like mini golf, escape rooms, etc. offer group discounts, so you might be able to do those for less money than you think. Also recognize that not everyone is in CAP to socialize, or people might just be introverted and not want to participate in extra social time. Don't hold it against people if they don't want to attend.

TheSkyHornet

Cookouts, indoor rock climbing, social hangout at a member's house, staff dinners, bowling night, mini golf...

Quite a bit a bit of outside face time actually.

baronet68

Is indoor rock climbing close enough to rappelling to be considered a "high adventure activity" or is it far enough removed to be just a "regular" activity?
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Eclipse

Quote from: baronet68 on January 26, 2020, 10:44:32 PM
Is indoor rock climbing close enough to rappelling to be considered a "high adventure activity" or is it far enough removed to be just a "regular" activity?

Indoor rock climbing is explicitly called out as authorized and not an HAA.

"That Others May Zoom"

UWONGO2

I absolutely meet up with my fellow volunteers outside of CAP. One of the reasons I stay is because of the friendships I've made.

Cadet wise, I know several cadets who are friends outside of CAP who get together. It's a bit clique-ish, but I think that's normal. It does remind me of a story a guy told me though, back when he and Curry were cadets together in CAP, the cadets had full run of the squadron trailer that was at the airport. It was almost like a club house, you'd find cadets there after school every day, and usually without adult supervisor (and yet they survived!).

baronet68

Quote from: Eclipse on January 26, 2020, 10:51:32 PM
Quote from: baronet68 on January 26, 2020, 10:44:32 PM

Indoor rock climbing is explicitly called out as authorized and not an HAA.

Thanks! 
My mad Ctrl+F skizzles were obviously lacking when I tried them in 60-1 earlier.  :o
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Kayll'b

LAN Party, sports, flight simulators, kerbal space program, and game nights are all great options.
C/Capt

Mitchell # 69847

Squadron Cadet Leadership officer

GCAC Recorder

etodd

Well over 300 reads on this thread, and just a handful respond. The rest don't want the things they do known here in this forum. Don't ask, don't tell.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on January 28, 2020, 02:55:30 AM
Well over 300 reads on this thread, and just a handful respond. The rest don't want the things they do known here in this forum. Don't ask, don't tell.

Wow, just wow.

The rest understand that the things CAP can do outside meetings and already approved activities
are very limited, come with specific liability issues, not to mention needing approvals, supervision,
transportation, etc., and usually aren't free.

The reality is that while there are certainly units that have activities outside what is already prescribed,
after one one night a week for the meeting, one weekend day for the required weekend activity, not
to mention the between work and participating in other CAP activities, there not much time left for "other".

The days of the neighborhood CAP unit in most places died well before there was a "2" in the first place of the year.
In my wing, most members have a 30-45-minute plus drive to their meeting place, and kids these days are slammed
with homework, school activities, and 100 other things to do beside CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: etodd on January 28, 2020, 02:55:30 AM

Maybe a number found that they also don't do anything and are monitoring for others' input.

THRAWN

A better question might be, what didn't/don't we do outside of the weekly meetings. Everything from pool parties, to camping, to being in weddings to burping babies...we'd do the stuff that any other group of friends do together.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Eclipse

Burping babies requires Region CC approval due to the high ORM.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Eclipse on January 28, 2020, 08:26:21 PM
Burping babies requires Region CC approval due to the high ORM.

And documented completion of HAZWOPER training.

ßτε