Compressing old military sleeping bags?

Started by AngelWings, October 08, 2012, 01:49:27 AM

AngelWings

In a few weeks I am heading off to a field exercise requiring sleeping bags. I would LOVE to reduce the size of my ECW sleeping bag (the old green military one) down to as small as possible. It takes up a ridiculous amount of room on the rucksack. Has anyone made some sort of compression technique (that doesn't require a compression stuff sack that costs an arm and a leg) with simple supplies?

Eclipse

Some bungie cords will help, but that's the problem with those olde-school bags.  They are too heavy and bulky.

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

Quote from: Eclipse on October 08, 2012, 02:07:50 AM
Some bungie cords will help, but that's the problem with those olde-school bags.  They are too heavy and bulky.
I'll give that a try! I can already picture how I could make a rig out of a few bungee cords.

tsrup

Quote from: AngelWings on October 08, 2012, 02:13:17 AM
I'll give that a try! I can already picture how I could make a rig out of a few bungee cords.

I imagine something like this:
http://www.compacc.com/p/Bungee-Nets-Cargo-Nets-15-x-15-inch
would work pretty well for your needs.
Paramedic
hang-around.

AngelWings

Quote from: tsrup on October 08, 2012, 02:15:12 AM
Quote from: AngelWings on October 08, 2012, 02:13:17 AM

I imagine something like this:
http://www.compacc.com/p/Bungee-Nets-Cargo-Nets-15-x-15-inch
would work pretty well for your needs.
That looks perfect!

PHall

Best technique I've used was roll the bag as tight as you can on a hard surface and use nylon gear straps (mini belts) to cinch the bag down.
Bungies are nice, but they have too much stretch in them.

Just don't forget to shake the bag out to fluff it back up before you sleep in it or you will have a very cold night. :P

SarDragon

Keep in mind that if your bag is down/feather filled, rolling it too tight will crush the filling, and no amount of shaking/fluffing will restore the loft.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cliff_Chambliss

have you considered using a poncho liner (or two) inside a poncho as a sleeping bag? For temperate climes it's more than sufficient.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

AngelWings

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on October 08, 2012, 02:08:54 PM
have you considered using a poncho liner (or two) inside a poncho as a sleeping bag? For temperate climes it's more than sufficient.
No, but that sounds like a great idea for a sleeping bag in a pinch. I only own one poncho and the event I am heading to requires one military poncho be ready for use as shelter.

PHall

Quote from: AngelWings on October 08, 2012, 04:03:43 PM
No, but that sounds like a great idea for a sleeping bag in a pinch. I only own one poncho and the event I am heading to requires one military poncho be ready for use as shelter.

The poncho liner sleeping bag works best at temps of 40 degrees and above.

AngelWings

Quote from: PHall on October 09, 2012, 12:14:13 AM
Quote from: AngelWings on October 08, 2012, 04:03:43 PM

The poncho liner sleeping bag works best at temps of 40 degrees and above.
In the worlds end known as MA, that won't work for winter at all.