Main Menu

NEC Meeting

Started by CAP_truth, May 04, 2012, 08:19:22 PM

lordmonar

Quote from: Ned on May 11, 2012, 08:45:12 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 11, 2012, 07:33:06 PM
Quote from: Larry Mangum on May 11, 2012, 06:54:08 PM
Well, we may have to see what happens to the permanent CAP facilities at NESA, now that the funds paying for the upgrades has been stripped and given to the regions.

Yeah, that's pretty worrisome.

Actually, the requested funds for the regional training facility were indeed allocated and the $80,000 in payments to the regions was restricted to CP and represents monies above and beyond the needs of the regional training facilities.

Another way to look at it was that VG funding stream is larger than was originally expected, and could not reasonably be spent just on the regional training facilities.

Once again, this is the volunteer leadership doing the responsible thing and attempting to honor the original intent of the funding "fence" - supporting not only the regional training facilities, but also allocating significant "new" funding for CP.  And to their credit, it was passed down the chain and not simply spent at the NHQ level.

Win-win.
Oh come on Ned!  You expect us to beleive that those guys up at national actually think about the issues before the just go ahead and do things!   :D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Ned on May 11, 2012, 08:45:12 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 11, 2012, 07:33:06 PM
Quote from: Larry Mangum on May 11, 2012, 06:54:08 PM
Well, we may have to see what happens to the permanent CAP facilities at NESA, now that the funds paying for the upgrades has been stripped and given to the regions.

Yeah, that's pretty worrisome.

Actually, the requested funds for the regional training facility were indeed allocated and the $80,000 in payments to the regions was restricted to CP and represents monies above and beyond the needs of the regional training facilities.

Another way to look at it was that VG funding stream is larger than was originally expected, and could not reasonably be spent just on the regional training facilities.

Once again, this is the volunteer leadership doing the responsible thing and attempting to honor the original intent of the funding "fence" - supporting not only the regional training facilities, but also allocating significant "new" funding for CP.  And to their credit, it was passed down the chain and not simply spent at the NHQ level.

Win-win.

In that case: nevermind.

Thanks Ned, I appreciate all you do :).

Fubar

I was surprised to see NBB get their own expenditure, outside of the region $80K outlay. I suspect that means they are out of the running when the region starts handing out funds.

I am glad to see the money is going to be used for its intended purpose and not travel expenses.

PA Guy

Quote from: Fubar on May 11, 2012, 09:48:58 PM
I was surprised to see NBB get their own expenditure, outside of the region $80K outlay. I suspect that means they are out of the running when the region starts handing out funds.

I am glad to see the money is going to be used for its intended purpose and not travel expenses.

NBB will get their requested funds for training site improvment.

Each Region will be given 10K to use only for cadet programs, I see this money going for for cadet activity scholarships, cadet travel etc.  If NCR wanted to give NBB some of that money they would have to show it was solely for cadet benefit.  NCR is a big Region and 10K will not go far.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: PA Guy on May 11, 2012, 11:06:01 PM
NCR is a big Region and 10K will not go far.

It is indeed very large geographically, but how many CAP units are there?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

a2capt

..and CAWG has more within some of it's Groups than whole Wings.  Heck, a couple squadrons probably could along be larger than some other whole wings, from CA, NY, FL, TX or PR, which seem to have some decent sized units. Right now we're sitting at 63 cadets with about a 95% attendance rate.

NCRblues

Quote from: Fubar on May 11, 2012, 09:48:58 PM

NBB will get their requested funds for training site improvment.

Each Region will be given 10K to use only for cadet programs, I see this money going for for cadet activity scholarships, cadet travel etc.  If NCR wanted to give NBB some of theat money they would have to show it was solely for cadet benefit.  NCR is a big Region and 10K will not go far.

Considering NBB compound is in GLR and not NCR....

the Oshkosh facility has needed massive repair and upgrades for some years now that the normal funds have not been able to touch. A new septic tank (the one from the 1970's is leaking) new A/C (when the cooks are making food the AC shuts down not sure why) so forth and so on. Massive flooding issues, along with building painting and repair. The Oshkosh facility is used WAY more than just for NBB.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

PA Guy

NCR vs. GLR my bad.

PA Guy

[quote author=NCRblues link=topic=15306.msg276903#msg276903 date=1336779169

the Oshkosh facility has needed massive repair and upgrades for some years now that the normal funds have not been able to touch. A new septic tank (the one from the 1970's is leaking) new A/C (when the cooks are making food the AC shuts down not sure why) so forth and so on. Massive flooding issues, along with building painting and repair. The Oshkosh facility is used WAY more than just for NBB.
[/quote]

So, are you suggesting that the 10K allocated to each region would be better spent at Oshkosh or that GLR should kick in some of its 10K to Oshkosh? Is there a charge for CAP units to use the Oshkosh facility outside of NBB?  How often is the facility used throughout the yr?  Oshkosh has been allocated $10,650 in the budget that was recently approved.

PA Guy

Quote from: CyBorg on May 11, 2012, 11:26:32 PM
NCR is a big Region and 10K will not go far.

It is indeed very large geographically, but how many CAP units are there?

It consists of seven wings so that comes to a little over $1400/WG unless the Region keeps the money and doles it out on application.

FW

Each Region will be given 10K to use only for cadet programs, I see this money going for for cadet activity scholarships, cadet travel etc. 

This is a good thing.  However, I'm not surprised the region commanders wanted to control a share of the money.  From what I've heard, they are continuing to ask for more control of "assets".  NHQ has a dedicated staff to allocate our money to CP.  $10k would go much further in NCR with about 1500 cadets than in SER with about 5000 cadets.... What's next?  Giving region/ccs all our dues money so they can give wings an allowance?...  Maybe it's me but, this doesn't seem right.

MSG Mac

Quote from: FW on May 12, 2012, 01:11:36 AM

Each Region will be given 10K to use only for cadet programs, I see this money going for for cadet activity scholarships, cadet travel etc. 

This is a good thing.  However, I'm not surprised the region commanders wanted to control a share of the money.  From what I've heard, they are continuing to ask for more control of "assets".  NHQ has a dedicated staff to allocate our money to CP.  $10k would go much further in NCR with about 1500 cadets than in SER with about 5000 cadets.... What's next?  Giving region/ccs all our dues money so they can give wings an allowance?...  Maybe it's me but, this doesn't seem right.

The alternative is to allocate based on the number of cadets in the Region, rather than a flat 10K to each Region.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

NCRblues

Quote from: PA Guy on May 11, 2012, 11:47:10 PM
So, are you suggesting that the 10K allocated to each region would be better spent at Oshkosh or that GLR should kick in some of its 10K to Oshkosh? Is there a charge for CAP units to use the Oshkosh facility outside of NBB?  How often is the facility used throughout the yr?  Oshkosh has been allocated $10,650 in the budget that was recently approved.

I am not suggesting either of your questions. I am actually very VERY happy that the Oshkosh facility got the 10,650 USD. That should take care of most of its major problems.

The facility is used (to my knowledge...there could be more) for 2 NCSA's, by a local squadron every Tuesday, by WI wing for a large portion of their overnight activities and lots of other local and "regional" activities.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

FW

Quote from: MSG Mac on May 12, 2012, 02:15:29 AM
Quote from: FW on May 12, 2012, 01:11:36 AM

The alternative is to allocate based on the number of cadets in the Region, rather than a flat 10K to each Region.

That would have been better however, there would have been no need for the region commanders to control the money.  It will be interesting where the bulk of that 10 grand goes.  To the commander's home wing?? I'm just putting out the idea that NHQ would have been a better administrator.  The paid staff has no part in where it would be distributed.  Region Commander's have a political side that may favour one constituancy over another.  Are there safeguards?

FlyTiger77

Quote from: FW on May 12, 2012, 09:53:10 AM
...Are there safeguards?

Besides the Region Commander's integrity?
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Ned

Although it took longer than expected, here are the videos for the safety, operations, and support staff reports to the NEC.

Thank you for your patience.  I hope you are as impressed as I am with the work being done for and by CAP.  Our volunteers are the very essence of the organization.

Ned Lee

JeffDG