Main Menu

CANADIANS IN THE CAP

Started by tern, May 17, 2008, 04:56:44 PM

tern

CANADIANS IN THE C.A.P.

"Canadian Aviator" magazine has asked me to do a feature article on Canadians in the CAP.  If you're a Canadian, an ex-Canadian or have worked with Canadians in the CAP, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

We'd like to hear of your experiences, challenges, anecdotes.  The more information the better, including where you're from and how  long you've been a member.

CAP doesn't have records of aliens and doesn't know how many Canadians are in the CAP.  My wife and I have been members for over 15 years, having been introduced by a man from North Bay, Ontario who flew for a Florida unit on sunset (boating) patrols.  We've met another Canadian in Texas and a third was killed during a mountain search in California.  Perhaps you know of others.

We worked on the Northridge earthquake for about 10 days, and have flown ELT and EPIRB searches, fire watch, transport missions, and over 70 CD missions each.  But the editor wants to know of other Canadians' contributions.

I also fly for the Canadian Civil Air Rescue Association (CASARA), which helps the air force with searches.  If enough members contribute their experiences, each organization may be able to learn from the other.

Neil Macdougall, Mid Valley Senior Squadron, Harlingen, Texas 

Please reply to tern@sympatico.ca   Thank you.

MIKE

One topic is quite sufficient. 
Mike Johnston

Major Carrales

Hello from Corpus Christi!!!   

Quote from: tern on May 17, 2008, 04:56:44 PM
Neil Macdougall, Mid Valley Senior Squadron, Harlingen, Texas 

Please reply to tern@sympatico.ca   Thank you.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Flying Pig

An ex-Canadian?  Wouldn't that make them an American then?

Turk

It's interesting that you mention CASARA. I gather that they have a non-military orientation, no ranks, etc.  A different means to a similar goal... They also have some serious terrain to cover, and winter weather that only RMR and Alaska Wing sees.

"To fly is everything."  Otto Lilienthal

Flying Pig

I searched around on their site and it seems like a pretty neat organization.  Although, CAP is too.  But CASARA doesn't have cadets though do they?

TEAM SURGE

I don't think they should allow Canadians in CAP...if your gonna do that you might as well let illegal Mexicans in CAP....BAD CHOICE!
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

Pace

Anyone who is in this country legally is more than welcome if they want to contribute to our communities by aiding CAP.

A little tolerance would be greatly appreciated.   :)
Lt Col, CAP

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: Pace on May 21, 2008, 09:41:29 PM
Anyone who is in this country legally is more than welcome if they want to contribute to our communities by aiding CAP.

A little tolerance would be greatly appreciated.   :)

Think about it though....I do not like the fact that we have squadrons in Canada....Why is it our business to help with anything there. Thats why they get there own Cadet Progrma going.
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

shorning

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on May 22, 2008, 12:59:14 AM
Think about it though....I do not like the fact that we have squadrons in Canada....

Think about it though...we don't have squadrons in Canada. 

Cecil DP

Quote from: shorning on May 22, 2008, 01:25:32 AM
Quote from: TEAM SURGE on May 22, 2008, 12:59:14 AM
Think about it though....I do not like the fact that we have squadrons in Canada....

Think about it though...we don't have squadrons in Canada. 
The Canadian members live in the "Great Frozen North" When the frost starts they migrate south to avoid the weather. We don't have any CAP units in the Kingdom of Canada. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

shorning

Quote from: Cecil DP on May 22, 2008, 02:00:09 AM
We don't have any CAP units in the Kingdom of Canada. 

You know I just said that, right?

Major Carrales

First off it was once called "The Dominion" of Canada, which is currently in the Commonwealth of Nations, and has no conventional long form.

There are no CAP squadrons in Canada, but many Canadians are active in CAP.  I don't see what the issue is here.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Flying Pig

It sounds like the topic got derailed by someone not reading the initial post properly.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Major Carrales on May 22, 2008, 02:28:35 AM
First off it was once called "The Dominion" of Canada, which is currently in the Commonwealth of Nations, and has no conventional long form.

There are no CAP squadrons in Canada, but many Canadians are active in CAP.  I don't see what the issue is here.

It still is The Dominion of Canada, and Elizabeth II is her Queen.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Jimbo

Back in 2000, Vermont Wing had a joint CAP, Junior ROTC and the Royal Canadian Air Cadets (from what I remember, their version of CAP) at an encampment I went to... but sorry don't know anything about Canadians in CAP.
James Keohane, Lt Col, CAP (Maj, USAFR)
Wing Director of Cadet Programs
Chief of Curriculum/Chief Instructor, Cadet Officer School
--------------------------------------------------------
Previous Units: VA-001, VA-025, TX-023, MA-015, MA-070, MA-032
Billy Mitchell (#49097); Amelia Earhart (#12098); Gen Ira C Eaker (#1239)

mikeylikey

I thought Canada was part of the United States.  Wow.  Everytime I traveled there, they sure took my Money......and treated me awesome.  Plus, isn't fine Maple syrup a product of the United States.  I never heard of Maple syrup from Canada.  Isn't the State Flag of New York a big red Maple Leaf??  Cause upstate New York and Canada just seem to "blend" together so well.   :clap:
What's up monkeys?

♠SARKID♠

QuoteThink about it though....I do not like the fact that we have squadrons in Canada....Why is it our business to help with anything there. Thats why they get there own Cadet Progrma going.

Maybe because they're a friendly nation and having them in CAP isn't going to compromise the organization or make the sky fall?

PHall

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on May 21, 2008, 08:25:19 PM
I don't think they should allow Canadians in CAP...if your gonna do that you might as well let illegal Mexicans in CAP....BAD CHOICE!

Actually there have been more then a couple cadets in CAWG who were not "legal".

And I'm sure the other border states have had their share too.

Pylon

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 22, 2008, 10:56:46 AM
It still is The Dominion of Canada, and Elizabeth II is her Queen.

HRH E.R. II is still their monarch, but I think they haven't had "The Dominion of" in their name since The Canada Act in the early 80's.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

mikeylikey

Quote from: PHall on June 11, 2008, 01:49:33 AM
Actually there have been more then a couple cadets in CAWG who were not "legal".

Well I have some Ohio Cadets, but what really makes me made is when we get West Virginians who think they are allowed to leave their state!    >:D
What's up monkeys?

TEAM SURGE

There you GO! Illegals in CAP Thats what gets me fired up! It should not happen! ILLEGALS DRIVE ME CRAZY
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

PHall

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on June 16, 2008, 12:04:15 AM

There you GO! Illegals in CAP Thats what gets me fired up! It should not happen! ILLEGALS DRIVE ME CRAZY

Boy, I hope you never go to Eugene or Portland. You might have a heart attack...

mikeylikey

^ Or Seattle or a Southwestern State that may border Mexico. 

I still have a bigger problem of West Virginians and Ohio folks invading Pennsylvania....but I am slowly ending that problem  >:D
What's up monkeys?

Cecil DP

Considering we've had several Wing Commanders appointed who didn't live within the confines of their Wing, general members should not a problem.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Turk

Having Canadians in CAP is okay, but we could also use:

- Klingons as pilots

- Ferengis as Finance Officers

- Romulans as IG types.

- Betazeds as CISM officers.

Some inter-region wormholes would also be handy.     ;D

"To fly is everything."  Otto Lilienthal

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: Turk on June 16, 2008, 06:53:00 PM
Having Canadians in CAP is okay, but we could also use:

- Klingons as pilots

- Ferengis as Finance Officers

- Romulans as IG types.

- Betazeds as CISM officers.

Some inter-region wormholes would also be handy.     ;D

SHUT UP!
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: PHall on June 16, 2008, 01:38:11 AM
Quote from: TEAM SURGE on June 16, 2008, 12:04:15 AM

Boy, I hope you never go to Eugene or Portland. You might have a heart attack...

I know it's full of illegals LOL......trust me I live there for most of the summer! haha
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

MIKE

Mike Johnston