Thinking of joining, but have a few questions

Started by SWMcCaig, June 14, 2016, 02:20:22 AM

SWMcCaig

I am 50yoa and married, and am seriously considering joining my local CAP chapter. I have 12 years of law enforcement experience, and completed 25hrs of training in a C152 before getting married (no longer current, and probably will not resume). My main concern is time. I now work for the US Postal Service, and the only day I am guaranteed off is Sunday.....I am interested in serving as a scanner/observer, but not sure if this is even feasible at my age, and with my time constraints. Just by reading, I'm pretty sure I understand what is required to JOIN, but not sure what roles seniors can fill, and what is required of them as far as time commitments (especially if in an aircrew capacity). Any insight that can be provided would be a huge help. Thank you.

Eclipse

Do you work nights?  Most of CAP happens during the evening, and if you have Sundays off, a lot happens then as well.

Some things will be on Saturdays, but that shouldn't be a limiting factor. 

Your best bet is a discussion with the local unit(s) in your area to see what they are doing and how their
training is scheduled.  If you get days off during the week, some occasional opportunities may be open to you that
aren't for most other members.

"That Others May Zoom"

SWMcCaig

No, I work days....usually from about 0715 to about 1745 or 1800. Sunday is an off day every week, plus one "rotating" day off during the rest of the week. As far as I know, the only way to take off at any other time is if you have accrued any leave time, so not sure how that works exactly. How do most seniors juggle full-time jobs and squadron responsibilities/missions, especially if aircrew?

Ozzy

Well, CAP is not a full-time gig. Senior members give what time they can to their responsibilities and its usually discussed with the squadron commander during the application process and after it while the new member gets ahold of things.

As for aircrew and misisions, that will depend on the group/wing but likely there would be a weekly/monthly rotation schedule on who's available and who wants to go if a mission happens. CAP isn't a first responder so if we do get a mission, you would typically get a warning order an hour or more in advance.

Edit:
Take myself for example. I recently came back to CAP after several years out. I now have a 9-6 job with weekends off for the most part except when I have drill with the Army. In the joining process, we talked on what I was looking to do as well as what the squadron needs to be done. Since I do not have many other obligations other then work and the Army as well as being a former member, the commander decided to give me a greater role then he normally does to new members. As the next few months go by, my role will undoubtedly expand as I grow back into the fold and I show that I can manage the responsibility already given to me. The same should happen to you. At first your main responsibly would be learn more about CAP and see what you can bring to the table. As you progress and learn, you can request to take a bigger part in squadron activities as time allows and you figure how to incorporate CAP life into your life.

As for Aircrew, it will take time to get Mission scanner and Observer ratings. As you go through the training process, you'll be able to make a better judgment on how much you can contribute and when.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Eclipse

There are some squadrons who meet on weekends, but the majority meet on a weeknight, usually between 7-9,
and Tuesday seems to be the "sweet spot" for meetings (again depends on the unit you join).

Most weekend activities are scheduled well in advance, and they are all optional (as is frankly all of CAP beyond whatever commitments
you make to it and other people).

There are a lot of members who have challenging schedules, yours, frankly, doesn't seem like that big a deal.

Quote from: Ozzy on June 14, 2016, 01:47:29 PM
As for Aircrew, it will take time to get Mission scanner and Observer ratings. As you go through the training process, you'll be able to make a better judgment on how much you can contribute and when.

+1

Figure 6-8 months, maybe a year (on the outside) depending on your access to an airplane, and the specifics of a unit.
That seems like a long time to when you hear it, until you consider you might only be engaged a couple hours a week,
and not all of that will be focused on aircrew training.  People can do it in a lot less time if they are already
pilots, familiar with ES in general, or a serendipitous could of weekends are open when a full days training is running.

If you walked in the door to a meeting tonight, it'll be about 2-months before you can do much beyond get the lay of the land
between wall-hugging meetings and the background check, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

capmtlt

Quote from: SWMcCaig on June 14, 2016, 02:20:22 AM
I am 50yoa and married, and am seriously considering joining my local CAP chapter. I have 12 years of law enforcement experience, and completed 25hrs of training in a C152 before getting married (no longer current, and probably will not resume). My main concern is time. I now work for the US Postal Service, and the only day I am guaranteed off is Sunday.....I am interested in serving as a scanner/observer, but not sure if this is even feasible at my age, and with my time constraints. Just by reading, I'm pretty sure I understand what is required to JOIN, but not sure what roles seniors can fill, and what is required of them as far as time commitments (especially if in an aircrew capacity). Any insight that can be provided would be a huge help. Thank you.

Many units are understanding of schedules.  It may be possible to contact the squadron commander to discuss meeting with someone on your off day to review minutes and notes from meetings, and potentially set up activities on your off day. It might be a bit more difficult if you're planning on cadet programs. Good luck and thanks for considering joining.
Lt. Cook

LSW

I will just add from the age/scanner point you mention.

I originally joined to be a scanner. I then started the training and as I read it I decided that it was not for me. Keep in mind that a scanner exists to spot downed aircraft/missing people etc. and this is difficult at the best of times and conditions. Age does not really matter, but realize that our eyes are not what they used to be and they take longer to re-focus. Also medication is an issue as it can effect how we react and how well/long we can concentrate. Your size is another consideration based on the aircraft.

I too am in my 50's, wear glasses and take medications. I read all the training and decided from my side that my vision issues and headaches would not compliment the mission, the aircraft look very small for my size if flying for hours on end. I asked myself if these limitations are minor enough to risk not spotting something or someone and decided I did not wish to risk it and pulled my name from consideration. This was all done from my side based on what CAP training taught me.

My suggestion, join and do the training and decide for yourself. Also talk to your employer, emergencies do not happen on our schedules. Your employer may be willing to cut you lose for emergency SAR missions if he can spare you, my former supervisor had agreed for me. Our high school principle has declared his support for our ground team and any CAP Cadet needed will be released from school for missions.

Also talk to squadron personnel about how often you might be called out... my squadron has not had a SAR or emergency mission is two years. So it depends a lot on where you are. Your police background could be very useful on the ground in a ground team as well.