Thinking of joining, not sure who to contact

Started by GpCaptKangaroo, April 06, 2015, 09:44:09 AM

GpCaptKangaroo

Hi,

I just moved to a new area, and was thinking of ways to get involved in some sort of volunteer emergency response organization; I was a cadet for a few minutes back in 2004-2006, so CAP came to mind. But since them, I've forgotten some things, so I was hoping for your insight.

1) There are two units near me, same airport. One is a Senior Squadron, meets once a month; the other is a flight, meets once a week. Is there a substantive difference between what these two do, or which would be better for a new person to contact?

2) Are there any questions that you think I should ask / things to look out for, either in contacting or visiting the unit, just to determine the strength or quality of the unit?

Thanks in advanced for your help!

Av8tion

Quote from: GpCaptKangaroo on April 06, 2015, 09:44:09 AM
Hi,

I just moved to a new area, and was thinking of ways to get involved in some sort of volunteer emergency response organization; I was a cadet for a few minutes back in 2004-2006, so CAP came to mind. But since them, I've forgotten some things, so I was hoping for your insight.

1) There are two units near me, same airport. One is a Senior Squadron, meets once a month; the other is a flight, meets once a week. Is there a substantive difference between what these two do, or which would be better for a new person to contact?

2) Are there any questions that you think I should ask / things to look out for, either in contacting or visiting the unit, just to determine the strength or quality of the unit?

Thanks in advanced for your help!

Visit both and see what they have to offer. Join whichever one you feel is a better fit with your skillset and interests. Don't worry too much about the strength/quality of the units. Either it's a well-established program that will work you into the fold or it's a weaker unit that your presence will help to rebuild. Both types need more members to survive and grow. Focus more on what you want to accomplish in CAP and what expertise you can bring to strengthen the unit you're joining. Above all keep your mind and your eyes open and don't get tunnel-visioned into a specific facet of the program. Take it all in and see what happens.

arajca

Welcome back. On your first question, visit both. Units can vary greatly on how they run the program and you're the best one to decide which is right for you. The difference between a squadron and a flight is the number of members. If you're not interested in working with cadets, you'd be better served at the senior squadron.

As for the second question, ask what the status of the flight is. Is it a newly formed unit building membership or is a former squadron in the process of folding? If you're interested in ES, figure out which side (air, ground, base) you're initially interested in and which unit will best fit your interests. Find out how often each holds ES activities and training as well as the frequency of SAREXs and missions. Definitely talk to the Recruiting/Retention officer in each, if they have one. If they don't, the commander will probably be talking to you.