Main Menu

Membership Dues

Started by The14th, April 04, 2014, 05:38:14 AM

The14th

After meeting with my Squadron and deciding that I'd like to join, I got the application and fingerprint card completed. I've looked around but haven't been able to find an answer to this question. For my membership dues, does it have to be a check or will NHQ accept money orders?

I have a checking account, but it's 2014 and have never needed checks for anything else.

a2capt

I've seen MO's in our cadet applications. Make it out properly, ship it. Done.

The14th

Thanks, I just didn't want to assume and have to wait another week to have my stuff sent out.

Garibaldi

I was actually told that it had to be a check, that National would not accept a MO, so I ended up having someone else write me a check and giving them the cash. This was in 2012.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

a2capt

CAPR 39-2 27 DECEMBER 2012 9

2-4. Application Procedures.
(3) Turn in the completed application form and membership dues to the unit commander
or the commander's designated representative. A separate check or personal money order is required
for dues submitted to National Headquarters. (Unit checks will be accepted as long as there is one
check per application.) The check or money order should be made payable to "National Headquarters
CAP."

I should have just posted that originally. I've seen many money orders over the years. It just needs to be the right amount, for the fees that are all payable to NHQ, for each member individually. Two members in the same envelope can not use combined payments. Thats all. It's not gray, it's not new text.

Eclipse

I was going to make a snarky comment about an MO being more trouble then a check,
but apparently youngins these days have accounts with virtual banks and never actually get physical checks.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on April 04, 2014, 08:09:07 PM
I was going to make a snarky comment about an MO being more trouble then a check,
but apparently youngins these days have accounts with virtual banks and never actually get physical checks.

As long as we don't accept Bitcoin...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

Quote from: Garibaldi on April 04, 2014, 08:38:01 PM
As long as we don't accept Bitcoin...

That's where CAP will invest its endowments!

"That Others May Zoom"

The14th

Thanks for the info, fellas. It's a lot easier for me to just run to the bank and pick up a MO than order a whole book of checks I don't actually need. Saves me time and trouble, and I can get my packet sent out at the next meeting.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on April 04, 2014, 08:09:07 PM

I don't think I ever saw a single check for my ING Direct account. Then Capital One bought it and I promptly stopped using it...

But yeah, the only thing I use check for any more is my rent and certain utilities. The rest is run electronically. At this rate I have enough checks to last me a lifetime from the last time I ordered 2 years ago or so.

SarDragon

We used to write 20 or more a month. Now it's down to 2 or 3. Everything else is paid online or auto EFT.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MacGruff

I'm still using checks to pay the majority of my utility bills and it's driving me crazy! In the area where I live, all but one of the utilities charge a convenience fee for direct depositing money of around 2% of the bill and never less than $1.50!  Come on! You get the money faster and with no handling, you should be paying ME!!!

Rant off....     >:D