Main Menu

CAP ID

Started by Thatcappersonyouknow, December 23, 2013, 07:22:10 PM

Thatcappersonyouknow

I am soon promoting and I wanted to know when and if we had to buy a new cap ID when we promote...

dwb

Yes. They no longer send you a new card when you get promoted. Only when you renew your membership.

EMT-83

But do you "have to" buy a new ID? No.

UH60guy

"They" never sent me a new ID even when I renewed membership. I wonder if that also went the way of the dodo and the era of unlimited funding.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

jeders

Considering that you are a cadet, there would be absolutely no need to.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

"They" have to - the cards have an expiration date on them.

The grade may not be an issue, though I have, on occasion, gotten a crossed-eyed look when a mid-year promotion
meant that my collar didn't match the card, but gate guards, ES admin people and others do not look kindly
when you show up and present an expired ID.

If you don't get a new card when you renew, you should call NHQ.

"That Others May Zoom"

UH60guy

Would NHQ have records of whether a card was sent, and potentially got lost in the mail? Basically I was wondering if I have to be prepared to argue my case to someone over the phone, but I just don't have the energy to do that over $3. I could just as easily pay the $3, but at this point it's the principle of the thing too, and I fully admit I'm being stubborn for no good reason. I've been getting by with the expired card, an active duty military ID, and frequently updated print-outs of the temporary CAP ID, on the hope I'll only need to keep doing this "until the real card arrives!" as eServices says.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Eclipse

Quote from: UH60guy on December 23, 2013, 08:43:02 PM
Would NHQ have records of whether a card was sent, and potentially got lost in the mail?

Yes - if it's been more then a week since you renewed, give them a call or shoot an email (prob not this week).

My experience has been they show up pretty fast.

This also assumes your renewal actually happened - might want to check that too.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

The cards are printed by a 3rd party contractor and it was my impression that they're sent out in batches. Expect the card to arrive about two weeks after renewal. If you wait until the last minute to renew you will wind up with an expired card. You can print out a temporary card until the permanent card arrives. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

a2capt

Bring back the neato machine that required dummy cards to be inserted in the envelopes ..  Instead of just Core Values, rotate through them. I.M.S.A.F.E., cadet oath, mission statement,  etc. Then people can hand them out, give 'em to someone else who wants it, whatever. Perhaps even put marketing stuff on it, GoCivilAirPatrol.com, CAP on Facebook, etc.

At least the cards they sent out didn't totally suck. What they send now is a piece of cr-p.

UH60guy

I renewed a month prior to expiration (May, card good through June) through eServices. eServices tracks me as current in everything and I can print temporary cards regularly... just never got the new card and assumed it wasn't a priority of NHQ at the time, as we were in the midst of feeling the early effects of sequestration at the time. Was also my first renewal as a member and didn't know what to expect.

sorry for typos, typing left handed, baby on chest
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Eclipse

Yeah, should have seen one - sent NHQ an email.

"That Others May Zoom"