Thinking of Joining....Some Questions First

Started by antdetroitwallyball, December 20, 2013, 06:37:38 PM

antdetroitwallyball

Quote from: RiverAux on December 22, 2013, 09:08:14 PM
The primary advantage to working with CAP in comparison to CG Aux, is the opportunity to work in emergency situations.  Of course, if you're interested in the youth development angle that isn't really possible in CG Aux outside of boating safety teaching situations.  The primary disadvantage is that CAP is much, much, more highly regulated than CG Aux and there is very little room for individual initiative.  You'd think it would be the other way since the CG makes just about every decision of importance to CG Aux members but since CAP members do make a lot of the everyday decisions they've highly regulated things so that members can't do anything too stupid or bad for the program. 

I personally like both since in CG Aux I can pretty much schedule my activities when I want and that can keep me occupied in long stretches with no CAP ES missions.

I don't expect CAP to give me the same experience as CGAUX. With CGAUX, I've held bleeding, dying children in my arms as I've served as a rescue person on actual Coast Guard Boats. This only occured because I worked directly for, and completely latterally augmented active duty coasties on their boats. A lot of Auxies never do this kind of stuff because they are too old or out of shape, and that's also why CGAUX does boater safety classes and Vessel safety checks. The cool part of the CGAUX is you can choose your level of intensity: you can either be an occasional safety instructor or virtually a fully qualified active duty coastie...

But that's not CAP's role in relationship to the USAF, and I'm entirely fine with that. In fact, my interest in joining CAP stems from a desire to do a different form and tempo of SAR (namely, ground-based working with a group of volunteers) and youth mentorship. And as you pointed out, CGAUX does not offer youth mentorship opportunities.

And CGAUX is only one of many, many organizations I've been involved with in the past. To names others: Big Brothers Big Sisters, CERT teams, an SDF, a Food Bank,, etc.....

SarDragon

QuoteThe cool part of the CGAUX CAP is you can choose your level of intensity

FTFY.  8)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

antdetroitwallyball

Hey, I like the sound of that.

Don't get me wrong. I do hope to get out and do some ground SAR exercises (or actual SAR) once I reach that level of qualification with CAP. I'm definatly not a meetings-only kind of guy.

I just want to do some stuff off the water (although I definately will continue to be very active in the CGAUX.....I've had like 5 of the best 26 years of my life so far, aint giving this up just yet ;) ). I know nothing about planes or aircraft........

I'm really looking forward to all of this...

QuoteDon't put a lot of faith in determining what the squadron does by what type it is.  You may run across a composite squadron that is 90% senior members and 10% cadets or one that is 90% cadets and 10% seniors or one that is entirely mixed.  Or, you could find a cadet squadron with more seniors than cadets (rare, but it could happen).

Hmm....Okay... Well this is interesting. So from what you are saying, the title type of the squadron is not a great indicator. I will definately take this into consideration.. :)

JoeTomasone

Quote from: antdetroitwallyball on December 23, 2013, 12:04:28 PM
Don't get me wrong. I do hope to get out and do some ground SAR exercises (or actual SAR) once I reach that level of qualification with CAP. I'm definatly not a meetings-only kind of guy.

I just want to do some stuff off the water (although I definately will continue to be very active in the CGAUX.....

I envision USCG including him on all their EPIRB missions since he can just change uniforms and continue if it tracks to land.   >:D >:D >:D

SarDragon

Quote from: Slim on December 23, 2013, 06:56:12 AM
Quote from: antdetroitwallyball on December 22, 2013, 05:35:38 PM
On an interesting note, I have a ton of brand new old-style Coast Guard ODUs....

Why is it that anyone with a screen name like that (antdetroit) just jumped out and screamed "Coastie"? 

Still in the Detroit area?  Hit me with a PM and I can give you the low down on the squadrons in the area.

Quote from: johnnyb47 on December 20, 2013, 07:13:21 PM
Detroit area? That's my stomping grounds!

There are several squadrons in the area to choose from.
I'd be happy to PM you my phone number if you'd like a local insider to chat with or would like to come visit us in Clinton township to see a Tuesday night meeting in action.

That's the best advice you've gotten. Use it.  8)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

antdetroitwallyball

QuoteI envision USCG including him on all their EPIRB missions since he can just change uniforms and continue if it tracks to land.

Heh...Epirbs.....

Still never been at a unit that's had to respond to one of those yet. As you probably know, EPIRBS get initially picked up by a national response center, and then that center would be the one to contact the USCG if it was believed to be coming from an international body of water..

I think CAP probably knows A LOT more about EPIRBS than the USCG does... :)

Eclipse

Being on a huge body of fresh water, we get those all the time.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

Quote from: antdetroitwallyball on December 23, 2013, 08:46:54 PM
QuoteI envision USCG including him on all their EPIRB missions since he can just change uniforms and continue if it tracks to land.

Heh...Epirbs.....

Still never been at a unit that's had to respond to one of those yet. As you probably know, EPIRBS get initially picked up by a national response center, and then that center would be the one to contact the USCG if it was believed to be coming from an international body of water..

I think CAP probably knows A LOT more about EPIRBS than the USCG does... :)

The USCG has responsibility for Search and Rescue not just international water but in any navigable water way including the Great Lakes, The entire state of Alaska and the entire state of Hawaii.  Trust me, after attending the National Search and Rescue School, that the USCG is well versed in EPIRBS, PLB's and even ELT's .

I think the CGRCC's and the AFRCC should coordinate to include CAP with those navigable waterways that are within site of land.

Private Investigator

Quote from: antdetroitwallyball on December 23, 2013, 11:50:19 AM
And CGAUX is only one of many, many organizations I've been involved with in the past. To names others: Big Brothers Big Sisters, CERT teams, an SDF, a Food Bank,, etc.....

Peace Corps not on your resume?  :)