Automatic promotion for FAA license in Flight Officer grades

Started by DS469, February 02, 2013, 07:17:23 PM

DS469

Here is my situation. I am a current C/SSgt and 18. I am transitioning to senior membership. Also, I have my private pilot license. According to CAPR 35-5 (Figure 6), the holder of a private license is eligible for appointment (with unit commander approval and completion of Level I) to 2LT without spending six months as an SM without grade. However, since I'm under 21, I am not eligible for appointment to any officer grade. Now I know the Flight Officer grades aren't registered with NHQ, but am I eligible for promotion (at the local level) to TFO upon completion of Level I without spending 3 months as an SM without grade? It seems to me that TFO is the "equivalent" grade to 2LT in terms of professional development and stuff (I know that they aren't actually equivalent in rank). This isn't that big of a deal to me; I just want to not have to sew, unsew and resew my BDUs if at all possible.  :)
Andrew Marsh, FO, CAP
Downeast Patrol Composite Squadron

Eclipse

Quote from: DS469 on February 02, 2013, 07:17:23 PMbut am I eligible for promotion (at the local level) to TFO upon completion of Level I without spending 3 months as an SM without grade?

No.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: CAPR 35-54-1. General. In recognition of certain special skills and qualifications earned outside CAP, but which are directly related to the CAP mission, certain senior members are eligible for initial appointment and subsequent promotion to a grade commensurate with these skills, provided they are contributing these skills to the CAP mission. Promotion procedures are outlined in paragraph 1-8c.
4-2. Eligibility Requirements.
a. Be at least 21 years of age.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DS469

Quote from: CAPR 35-5
4-2. Eligibility Requirements.
a. Be at least 21 years of age.

I can't believe I missed that. Thanks!
Andrew Marsh, FO, CAP

lordmonar

Just another reason why the FO grades suck.

And why the whole advanced promotion thing needs to be reworked.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on February 02, 2013, 10:31:12 PM

Discontinued would be better.  They serve no purpose, but cause plenty of issues.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAPDan

Why the rush to become SM?

IMO I think your time would be better served staying a cadet until 21, thereby avoiding the FO dilemma altogether. I estimate that if you where to stay a cadet until you are 21 you would still be able to achieve the Earhart award, which in turn would get you 1st Lt when you turn senior. As the cost of annual senior membership in Maine is $60 and $30 for cadet you would be looking at a saving at least $60 over the next 2 years. Not to mention the experience, and scholarships that you would could receive as a cadet.

I wish you the best of luck in whichever path you choose, but don't be too hasty in choosing the "dark side".

MSG Mac

An easier way to achieve grade is to start on the Senior Training program as soon as you turn Senior. since you're over 17 1/2 you can start with the Cadet Protection Policy Training as a Cadet. Once you're a SM have your PDO enroll you in a specialty track, (I recommend Cadet Programs, it only takes 6 months to achieve a Technician rating). The only other thing you'll have to do is the Officer Basic Course to achieve your Davis Award and completion of Level 2. Assuming you get your Flight Officer promotions on time, you could be a Captain when you reach 21. Don't forget that you can bridge FO/LT times in grade.     
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on February 02, 2013, 10:37:27 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on February 02, 2013, 10:31:12 PM

Discontinued would be better.  They serve no purpose, but cause plenty of issues.
I would not go quite that far.....but you are correct there are plenty of issues.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DS469

I've thought quite a bit about the switch and switching to the SM side is better for me. I never will be able to progress to the Cadet Officer ranks (which most scholarships require) as I don't have the free time in my schedule to attend an encampment. Also (at least at my squadron), Senior Membership is more flexible in time requirements and I'm very busy between school, sports, extracurriculars, working, flying and CAP. I've enjoyed my time as a Cadet, but the "dark side" is best for my life.

On a related note, in August I'll be transferring from MEWG to FLWG (college). Do FO ranks transfer from squadron to squadron? I don't see why they wouldn't, but the general gist I've gotten from my readings is that FO ranks "don't exist" outside of a squadron.
Andrew Marsh, FO, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

FO grades are supposed to be only awarded if you are actually doing some kind of job in the unit. I.e, you cannot be a member on the books between the ages of 18-20, not participate, yet be a FO.

So in theory, the grade has to come off if you don't have a job of some sort.

MIKE

FO grade is not intended as a gimmie for the 18-20 y/o SM. 

Quote from: CAPR 35-5(3) Leadership qualities.  Individuals recommended for promotion to flight officer
grade must be occupying positions of supervision or leadership within the unit.
Mike Johnston

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: usafaux2004 on February 03, 2013, 12:54:16 AM
FO grades are supposed to be only awarded if you are actually doing some kind of job in the unit. I.e, you cannot be a member on the books between the ages of 18-20, not participate, yet be a FO.

So in theory, the grade has to come off if you don't have a job of some sort.
It say to get prompted you "must be occupying positions of supervision or leadership within the unit". There are specific reasons listed for demotion in the reg and  "not occupying positions of supervision or leadership within the unit" is not on the list.

NHQ really needs to be where this is (and NCO) is tracked. I can see that Cadet Skippy is a C/SSgt online but not TFO Smith or MSgt Jones?

Private Investigator

Quote from: DS469 on February 03, 2013, 12:48:35 AM
On a related note, in August I'll be transferring from MEWG to FLWG (college). Do FO ranks transfer from squadron to squadron? I don't see why they wouldn't, but the general gist I've gotten from my readings is that FO ranks "don't exist" outside of a squadron.

Basically you will be SMWOG. One thing I noted from Cadets who go to the dark side, you think Senior Members do nothing and get rank. Big surprise coming at ya fast ...

BTW, welcome aboard CT.

Eclipse

Quote from: phirons on February 03, 2013, 04:38:52 PMNHQ really needs to be where this is (and NCO) is tracked. I can see that Cadet Skippy is a C/SSgt online but not TFO Smith or MSgt Jones?

Senior member NCOs have been tracked as in eServices for a couple of years.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Quote from: DS469 on February 03, 2013, 12:48:35 AM
I've thought quite a bit about the switch and switching to the SM side is better for me. I never will be able to progress to the Cadet Officer ranks (which most scholarships require) as I don't have the free time in my schedule to attend an encampment. Also (at least at my squadron), Senior Membership is more flexible in time requirements and I'm very busy between school, sports, extracurriculars, working, flying and CAP. I've enjoyed my time as a Cadet, but the "dark side" is best for my life.

Contact the units in the area of the university. They should be able to update you on what their units do. I don't think there would be any problem transferring as a FO to the new unit.
P.s. Where in Florida?
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

DS469

Andrew Marsh, FO, CAP

MSG Mac

There is a unit at E/R. Also a few others in the Daytona area.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

GroundHawg

Quote from: MSG Mac on February 02, 2013, 11:03:56 PM
An easier way to achieve grade is to start on the Senior Training program as soon as you turn Senior. since you're over 17 1/2 you can start with the Cadet Protection Policy Training as a Cadet. Once you're a SM have your PDO enroll you in a specialty track, (I recommend Cadet Programs, it only takes 6 months to achieve a Technician rating). The only other thing you'll have to do is the Officer Basic Course to achieve your Davis Award and completion of Level 2. Assuming you get your Flight Officer promotions on time, you could be a Captain when you reach 21. Don't forget that you can bridge FO/LT times in grade.   

This is why I suggest any of our cadets who have not recieved their Mitchell and are turning 18 to move into the SM program.

Майор Хаткевич

At 18 they could still make it to Captain by 21 by getting their Spaatz...