Assistant Deputy Commander

Started by EMT-83, May 12, 2011, 03:12:46 PM

EMT-83

I've noticed a couple of members here with a signature line that reads Assistant Deputy Commander.

Although it's allowed in eServices, I thought that assistants were limited to staff officers. I can't find any reference in 20-1 to assistant deputy commanders.

Thoughts?

Eclipse

Don't see the need.  Sounds like a made-up Ego job.

Anyone below the CD's should be staff.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

In a sense the Deputy is an assistant: an assistant commander by another name.  So an assistant to the assistant seems extremely unnecessary.  I've seen non-profit organizations with more than 600 full-time employees and many different departments run smoothly with only one executive director (aka: commander) and one associate executive director (aka: deputy) at the top of the org chart.  A CAP squadron can do just fine with two or three (if you're a composite squadron) people at the top. 

What we generally need more of is depth in the staff ranks and less people having to wear 3+ hats.  That would seem like a much better use of extra talent (is there such a thing in CAP?).
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Pylon on May 12, 2011, 03:57:07 PM
...an assistant to the assistant seems extremely unnecessary.

What we generally need more of is depth in the staff ranks and less people having to wear 3+ hats.  That would seem like a much better use of extra talent (is there such a thing in CAP?).

"That Others May Zoom"

sarmed1

When I was a squadron commander I had a Deputy Commander as well as a specific Deputy Commander For Cadets and Deputy Commander for Seniors.  She served a twofold purpose: she was there because my work schedule precluded me from being there at least 1 meeting a month (sometimes 2) and I was training her to be my replacement because I knew I was PCS'ing towards the end of the year.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

peter rabbit

What I've seen is the appointing of an Assistant DCC. I'm thinking that is to simplfy things when the DCC isn't available and to grant access to eServices functions, especially in units with several cadets.

SARDOC

The Only time I've seen a an Assistant Commander or Assistant Deputy Commander is when the Primary is basically becoming inactive for one reason or another and the Assistant is the incoming replacement.  Being Designated the "Assistant" gives them the same eServices Privileges.  I'm not sure why they do that for a Deputy Commander position when they can make the appointment almost instantly, but Changing a Squadron Commander has to have special paperwork done routed through the Wing to NHQ.

EMT-83

Of course, needed eServices permissions can be granted by WSA.

It's also interesting that eServices will allow a Deputy Commander in a composite squadron, where the position only exists in cadet or senior squadrons. You can also create a Deputy Commander for Seniors in a cadet squadron!

ßτε

Quote from: EMT-83 on May 13, 2011, 04:24:08 PM
Of course, needed eServices permissions can be granted by WSA.
Not all permissions can be assigned by the WSA. For instance, Commanders Corner is only available by duty position.
Quote from: EMT-83 on May 13, 2011, 04:24:08 PMIt's also interesting that eServices will allow a Deputy Commander in a composite squadron, where the position only exists in cadet or senior squadrons. You can also create a Deputy Commander for Seniors in a cadet squadron!
We can also assign a Deputy Commander for Cadets in a senior squadron!

Phil Hirons, Jr.

When I was Deputy Commander For Cadets in a composite squadron my commander also assigned me as Deputy Commander. He said there was a commanders function to transfer some cc only functions only to the Deputy Commander.

My guess is that the IT folks considered the Deputy Commander For X positions to be below the  Deputy Commander as opposed to variations on a theme  :D

Eclipse

Ugh.

That would make them Deputy-Deputies...

"That Others May Zoom"

DBlair

Quote from: Eclipse on May 12, 2011, 04:04:13 PM
Quote from: Pylon on May 12, 2011, 03:57:07 PM
...an assistant to the assistant seems extremely unnecessary.

I have to admit, this photo made me chuckle. In the world of business, it really is funny (and sometimes frustrating) how so many people holding "Assistant to the XYZ" sort of positions tend to think and act (even grossly misleading people) like they actually are the XYZ position, doing/acting far beyond their actual position and in some cases, screwing things up in the process. I guess it is a case of a position going to the person's head as they dream of grandeur.

As for the topic at hand, I don't see a need for an "Assistant Deputy Commander" position as that seems to suggest inefficiency at some point in the chain. If there is that much workload to require an Assistant Deputy Commander, why not appoint an additional Deputy Commander and have each specialize if different areas.

I wouldn't be opposed to an "Assistant to the Commander" (Cadet or SM could fill this) as a personal/administrative assistant position-- but to justify this, I would say it would need to be a large/highly functioning unit or a highly functioning department/section at a higher echelon. Otherwise, I seem to think the Commander or department head isn't pulling their weight and only wants the title without the work.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

RVT

Quote from: DBlair on May 14, 2011, 08:49:37 PMAs for the topic at hand, I don't see a need for an "Assistant Deputy Commander" position as that seems to suggest inefficiency at some point in the chain. If there is that much workload to require an Assistant Deputy Commander, why not appoint an additional Deputy Commander and have each specialize if different areas.

Deputy Commander is like any other staff position, only one person can be the primary, but you can have as many assistants as you like.

adamblank

I think it also makes sense in mentoring situations.  Training your replacement per se.  It also seemed to work in some of the squadrons I have been in where a good number of the staff are active duty and work rotating shifts.
Adam Brandao

lordmonar

Let us also remember that 20-1 is not the end all be all of unit organisation.

If you need a position....make it up and staff it.  It is that simple.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RVT

Quote from: lordmonar on May 15, 2011, 05:49:01 AM
Let us also remember that 20-1 is not the end all be all of unit organisation. If you need a position....make it up and staff it.  It is that simple.
Another situation I have seen is very small units.  Making someone an ADC gives them E-services access to everything and if that one person is all the staff you have that may be easier than giving them a dozen different regular titles.  I don't know if it messes your specialty track progression up or gives you credit for being everything at once

DBlair

Quote from: RVT on May 15, 2011, 12:48:29 PM
I don't know if it messes your specialty track progression up or gives you credit for being everything at once

This is exactly how it seems so many who have held Command positions end up accumulating a ton of specialty ratings.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander