>>> Starching BDUs <<<

Started by 356cadet, July 12, 2008, 06:48:25 PM

356cadet

Here's the scoop:

While randomly looking through military uniform regulations, I came across this one:

Quote from: Army Regulation 670-1
   Soldiers will not starch the Army Combat Uniform or Battle Dress Uniform under any circumstances. The use of starch, sizing, and any process that involves dry-cleaning or a steam press will adversely affect the treatments and durability of the uniform and is not authorized.
   Wash in cold water and mild detergent containing no optical brighteners or bleach. Tumble dry at low heat (not to exceed 130 degrees Farenheit). Remove immediately from the dryer and fold flat or place on a rustproof hanger to ensure heat from the dryer does not set wrinkles. To drip dry, remove from the washer/water and place on a rustproof hanger. Do not wring or twist.

As I looked up the reason for this, it's due to starch enclosing the little holes in the uniform, therefore trapping body heat inside the uniform. This causes the enemy to be able to see our men through night vision thermal and UV sensors.

Now I know this is the Army, and I know this doesn't apply to us. However, I'm pretty sure that the Air Force regs mention this somewhere, and since we are the Air Force Auxiliary, we follow some, if not all, of the regs of the Air Force. I'm also aware that we aren't involved in enemy combat situations, but that shouldn't really matter.

Aside from all this, starch does make the uniform nice and smooth... but it also makes it shiny.

So, what I'm asking you is: should we starch our BDUs? I'm neither attacking or defending starching. I'm stuck in the middle from here. What do you think?

Message icon - MIKE

MIKE

Mike Johnston

356cadet

Quote from: MIKE on July 12, 2008, 06:59:54 PM
Starch is lame.

Yeah.. especially since it gives the BDU a nasty shine.

mikeylikey

Starch tears apart the fiber strands of the material.  It basically eats at it like acid.  Slow acting acid.  It also eats away at the dye.  

I would go through one pair of BDU's a year.....figuring one wash, starch and press per week.  I always liked the faded look of my BDU's over the fresh look though.  I also always got the heaviest starch, that way I did not have to iron them all week.  

Now with ACU's, I just throw them in cold water turn the machine on quick wash and hang them up on the clothes line to dry.  The wrinkles kind of fall out, like the new ABU's.

What's up monkeys?

Flying Pig

Believe me, starch isn't going to make you any more visible to a Thermal Camera. Your screwed either way.

I always starched my cammies with light starch. And spit shinned my green jungle boots and starched my herringbone Marine Corps cover.   Ahhhhh, those were the days.  I lightly starch my CAP cammies also.  That was for barracks life.  I had separate utilities for when I went to the field.  Usually older ones.

jb512

I usually take my BDUs to the cleaners when they're brand new and have them launder and heavy starch them right off the bat.  After that, the creases are pretty much set and it's easy to starch them yourself at home.  My field uniforms are old uniforms that were starched at one time, but not anymore so they still hold a nice appearance and creases.

I'm not sure what people are doing to their uniforms, but I wear black BDUs 15 12-hour shifts a month in my civilian LE job and all I ever have to worry about is fading.  I've never had a set disintegrate from over-starching.

I know there are people who just like to wash and wear BDUs, but don't show up somewhere looking like you slept in them.

Nathan

Quote from: 356cadet on July 12, 2008, 06:48:25 PM
However, I'm pretty sure that the Air Force regs mention this somewhere, and since we are the Air Force Auxiliary, we follow some, if not all, of the regs of the Air Force.

No, we don't. We follow Civil Air Patrol regulations. Those regulations sometimes REFLECT USAF regs, but no USAF manual to my knowledge holds any authority over any CAP member unless a CAP regulation dictates it to have some authority.

Just wanted to make sure that was clear...
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

356cadet

Quote from: Nathan on July 12, 2008, 08:20:22 PM
However, I'm pretty sure that the Air Force regs mention this somewhere, and since we are the Air Force Auxiliary, we follow some, if not all, of the regs of the Air Force.

No, we don't. We follow Civil Air Patrol regulations. Those regulations sometimes REFLECT USAF regs, but no USAF manual to my knowledge holds any authority over any CAP member unless a CAP regulation dictates it to have some authority.

That's what I meant to say. My bad.

MSgt Van

Personaly, I starch the crap out of my BDUs.  I dump a bottle of sta-flo liquid starch in the rinse cycle and let them air-dry until slightly damp. I then iron them with a hot steam iron.  They don't get shiny going this route. The only time I've had the shine problem is using a spray-on starch.   I don't expect anybody else to starch theirs. Curse my Air Training Command background! Starch, spit shine and taps were the norm.

I can't say I noticed a difference in lifespan between the 100% cotton fatigues, permanent press fatigues, and BDUs.  The hydraulic fluid and kneeling on the flightline where the killers.

On a side note, I worked on infrared detection systems in the AF, and  starched or not didn't do a lot to change the apparent resolution of the infrared image.  I do think that slightly baggier fit of BDUs helped to diffuse the human outline when viewed against foliage, but the ever-present hot spots were there none the less.

MSgt Van

I searched AFI 36-2903, Dress and Personal Appearance of Air Force Personnel for references to starch. None were found.  The only pertinant reference I could find was:
"1.3.1.3. Uniforms will be neat, clean, pressed, buttoned, and properly maintained."

I was suprised to find this little tidbit:
"6. Individuals may sew down pockets but no local policy will be established to make it mandatory."

Yes, I admit it; my pockets have the buttons removed and are sewn shut. My field-use BDUs are unmodified, however.

IceNine

I have as a rule been replacing my show pair of BDU's about every 3-4 years because of the fade factor more than tearing.

I have tried it both ways.  Only dry cleaning vs only Machine wash and dry cleaning maintains the color better.  WIWAC I always had them super starched and then I changed my mind.  I have found that in my opinion that over the course of a day or 2 the unstarched BDU's will look less like a pile of laundry.  For some reason at least when I wear them the starch seems to cause more wrinkles.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

mikeylikey

Quote from: Nathan on July 12, 2008, 08:20:22 PM

Ummm....DoD Directives 5500.11, 1020.1, and AFI 36-2707

^ You won't stay a member of CAP very long after violating any of those instructions/directives.  You can also be personally sued by a member you discriminate against. 

CAP says we must follow those, along with various other AFI's if you were confused.  As a Cadet, these most likely don't apply to you as much as a senior member (especially in a Wing or better staff position).

If you need clarification, contact your wing JA, and ask if on Wing inspections they check for violations of these directives.  If your wing violates these directives, expect a quick shutdown.  (I won't say what Wing it happened to recently....but I will hint that it starts with "P" and ends with "AWG")     
What's up monkeys?

MSgt Van

Quote from: IceNine on July 12, 2008, 08:48:31 PM
I have as a rule been replacing my show pair of BDU's about every 3-4 years because of the fade factor more than tearing.

I have tried it both ways.  Only dry cleaning vs only Machine wash and dry cleaning maintains the color better.  WIWAC I always had them super starched and then I changed my mind.  I have found that in my opinion that over the course of a day or 2 the unstarched BDU's will look less like a pile of laundry.  For some reason at least when I wear them the starch seems to cause more wrinkles.

I'd have to agree with you on that one. 

Nathan

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 12, 2008, 08:57:29 PM

^ You won't stay a member of CAP very long after violating any of those instructions/directives.  You can also be personally sued by a member you discriminate against. 

CAP says we must follow those, along with various other AFI's if you were confused.  As a Cadet, these most likely don't apply to you as much as a senior member (especially in a Wing or better staff position).

Quote from: I earlierThose regulations sometimes REFLECT USAF regs, but no USAF manual to my knowledge holds any authority over any CAP member unless a CAP regulation dictates it to have some authority.
Nathan Scalia

mikeylikey

Quote from: Nathan on July 12, 2008, 09:02:48 PM

Quote from: I earlierThose regulations sometimes REFLECT USAF regs, but no USAF manual to my knowledge holds any authority over any CAP member unless a CAP regulation dictates it to have some authority.

I don't want to get into a pissing match but;
CAPR 36-2
c. All Commanders:
(1) Are responsible for implementing and enforcing CAP policies, procedures, and directives prohibiting discrimination, as well as DOD Directives 5500.11, 1020.1, and AFI 36-2707, throughout their respective commands.

What's up monkeys?

Hawk200

Manuals may not say either way, but has anyone actually bothered to read the "use and care" tag inside the uniforms? If it says "do not use starch" then it should be followed. Not really any different than deciding not to follow any other user manual.

mikeylikey

^ There were supplements published by the services years ago allowing for the starching of BDU's. 

In fact the AF recently published new instructions negating the policy of no starch on ABU's. 
What's up monkeys?

Nathan

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 12, 2008, 09:13:15 PM
Quote from: Nathan on July 12, 2008, 09:02:48 PM

I don't want to get into a pissing match but;
CAPR 36-2
c. All Commanders:
(1) Are responsible for implementing and enforcing CAP policies, procedures, and directives prohibiting discrimination, as well as DOD Directives 5500.11, 1020.1, and AFI 36-2707, throughout their respective commands.

Which was the point. You didn't get the bold?

The USAF regulations have NO authority over us UNLESS DICTATED TO HAVE AUTHORITY BY A CAP REGULATION!!!!!!!!!!!

How's that? :)

In other words, the fact that the publications are USAF and DOD pubs makes no difference. Green Eggs and Ham can have regulatory authority in CAP, so long as a CAP regulation dicatates it to have authority. We follow the CAP regulations, and them alone. If CAP regulations tell us to follow a certain publication from outside of CAP, then we follow what CAP tells us to do.
Nathan Scalia

Hawk200

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 12, 2008, 09:17:16 PM
^ There were supplements published by the services years ago allowing for the starching of BDU's. 

In fact the AF recently published new instructions negating the policy of no starch on ABU's. 

Which is rather foolish, considering that the Air Force will seriously hammer you if you do something that is specifically forbidden by the manufacturers directions, and screw something up.

I've seen the ABU material, I wouldn't starch it if you paid me. You may as well wear something made of thick pure wool.

capchiro

At a recent Wing Encampment, the directive was that if it was hot out and the sun was out and the cadets were out in the sun, they would have the sleeves rolled down to protect against sunburn.  Considering that starch increases the internal heat inside the uniform, I would sincerely advise against it and would be careful of cadets, etal, regarding heat stroke in such situations.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154